Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 06:45 PM

204 posts, read 1,505,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
We are in an era of unwilling landlords. They already have money problems and your concerns are last on their list.

I heard someone suggest doing a title search at the county on a property you are considering to see if there is a Notice of Default or any bad liens. If so, I would pass on the unit.
Not universally so. We lose money monthly. Call me about a heat issue? I call you back - IMMEDIATELY- and ask questions to ensure you're "smart" enough to operate the thermostat properly. If you are, guess who arrives an hour later? The repairman, on overtime and within three hours of your call you're good to go. MY TENANTS CONCERNS ARE FIRST ON MY LIST. But that's why I lose money. BTW, the example given is a true story. I'm no saint, but I have obligations to my tenants, and they trust me because I lead by example. So sorry to read I am a dinosaur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 08:32 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMOGAJAD View Post
Not universally so. We lose money monthly. Call me about a heat issue? I call you back - IMMEDIATELY- and ask questions to ensure you're "smart" enough to operate the thermostat properly. If you are, guess who arrives an hour later? The repairman, on overtime and within three hours of your call you're good to go. MY TENANTS CONCERNS ARE FIRST ON MY LIST. But that's why I lose money. BTW, the example given is a true story. I'm no saint, but I have obligations to my tenants, and they trust me because I lead by example. So sorry to read I am a dinosaur.
I sure should have been clear that I didn't mean all landlords are bad. I am a landlord and I also take care of my tenants. I am more interested in long relationships than the quick buck. I am a willing landlord though, I buy properties specifically to rent.

But there are a lot of bad ones out there just like there are a lot of bad tenants. There are also a lot of good ones of each. Just as frustrating as landlords are finding good tenants, I am sure there are tenants looking for good landlords.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:37 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMOGAJAD View Post
If you are a dino, I am too. First, I put my properties in tip top shape before I rent. If anything goes wrong, I am on it that very same day. I have service contracts on all my HVAC systems and am guaranteed same day service as a preferred customer. A tenant email me Wed. morning that her oven died and I had a new one out there that night. I find good tenants and I take care of them. My tenants like me and want to please, so they pay rent on time and take care of my places. Doing right is contagious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting