Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 12:17 AM

10 posts, read 26,210 times

Advertisements

Hello! I really need some rational advice before I do something stupid in my angry, frustrated state.

I truly hope that this is the last apartment I ever live in. I've dealt with everything from college party kids, cockroaches, no heat, and a crazy saxophone player who lived in the unit above me in my last place.

My apartment now is a studio in a smaller 3 story building. I am on the 2nd floor. I have lived here for a year and a half and I like my apartment and the location- but the EVIL BASS is trying to break my sanity!!!!

A new tenant moved into the unit that would be next to mine if I was one floor higher a few months ago. I found out after going up to his apartment to kindly mention that his bass was too loud that his speakers and everything were against the wall that runs down to my apartment. Remember - I have a studio so my living room and my bedroom are the same thing. When I told him that his bass was disturbing on (this was on Friday around 9:30pm or so) he apologized and agreed to turn down the bass. I was not mean at all, as I have learned that being mean initially when dealing with apartment noise is not helpful at all. I continued to still hear the bass play until midnight.

I mentioned my frustration to my building manager and she said that she will slip him a note saying "no excessive noise after 9pm". Funny thing - when I confronted him he said "oh, I am surprised that this is the first time you have ever heard anything." I've heard it before and was trying to ignore it but I have had it! He obviously knows that it is loud.

The worst offender however is the couple that lives below me. I don't know if they got some new equipment or something but the last several months things have gotten obnoxious. Labor day they had the bass pounding all. day. long. I will hear it randomly during the morning, afternoon and evening. It is 1am by me right now and I can hear it. I have my white noise going but that doesn't drown it out. They have the exact same floor plan as I do, except I do not have the bedroom.

MAIN PROBLEM: The tenants below me with the bass are good friends with my building manager!! She even told me that they have speakers on their WALLS and that the people next door get annoyed sometimes, and that SHE was really mad at them for music one day but she just hid away in her apartment.

Not to mention that the guy who lives below me is much older than me and super creepy and hits on me and visits me at my work

I don't know what to do. I have terrible anxiety and depression and feel like I can't ever relax in my own place since I never know when someone will start playing their bass. Should I talk to my building manager again? Or I can write her a note so that I can get all my thoughts out - I am often not good with confrontation.

I was also considering call the company that owns the building and seeing what they say.

I just can't move right now. I don't have the money for that.

Suggestions??? Otherwise I may have to invest in my own "bass blasting equipment"

OH, and I understand that there will never be total silence in an apartment building - I am totally ok with and able to block out doors opening and closing, hallway noise, people talking in the hallway, etc....even people walking above me as long as it isn't super obnoxious. Bass is just nearly impossible to drown out it seems...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 05:15 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygirl33 View Post
Or I can write her a note so that I can get all my thoughts out - I am often not good with confrontation.
There's no need at all to be "confrontational" which translates to fluffing up your feathers, aggressively posturing and loudly making demands. Write your landlord/property manager a politely composed business-like letter outlining the problems and asking for assistance in having the offending tenants cooperate by toning down the bass/volume so that you can enjoy day to day living without the distraction and interference. Good luck.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:23 AM

Yup, I don't plan on being "confrontational" since there is no point in starting an apartment war. I just always worry that writing a letter to someone will make them angry. I did talk to my building manager last week. My concern is that she is friends with the people below me and I don't think she will stand up to them. Again, she told me that one time they were playing loud music and she was so angry because she is right in the same corner with them. However, she just retreated into her apartment and did nothing. I hate to be "that" tenant, but I have been a good tenant in general - I pay my rent, I keep quiet. I'm not the neatest but my apartment isn't disgusting by any means.

Is it wrong of me to "complain" about bass during the day? I feel like my lease only requests quiet hours after 9pm.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:48 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygirl33 View Post
Yup, I don't plan on being "confrontational" since there is no point in starting an apartment war. I just always worry that writing a letter to someone will make them angry. I did talk to my building manager last week. My concern is that she is friends with the people below me and I don't think she will stand up to them. Again, she told me that one time they were playing loud music and she was so angry because she is right in the same corner with them. However, she just retreated into her apartment and did nothing. I hate to be "that" tenant, but I have been a good tenant in general - I pay my rent, I keep quiet. I'm not the neatest but my apartment isn't disgusting by any means.

Is it wrong of me to "complain" about bass during the day? I feel like my lease only requests quiet hours after 9pm.
If someone gets angry simply because you bring something to their attention and ask if they can help resolve the issue then that's their problem. A polite letter from you to the manager/landlord should be responded to in a similarly business-like way. It's the only remedy you have available and in no way reflects that you're in any way a "problem tenant" by any stretch. Oral communication means nothing and neither does her relationship with the other tenant(s). Don't over think and don't make assumptions - your request for assistance is perfectly understandable and legitimate.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:52 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,284,894 times
Monkey, I understand how you feel. I am hyper-sensetive to noises. Footfall and bass are the two of the worst noises for me. (Gum clicking noises drive me out of my mind!) Anyway, I've been in your situation and I understand how frustrating it is. You actaully feel as though you cannot be relaxed in your own home. It's a terrible way to live.

This is what I would do:

Since you know that the building manager knows the person below you plays their music loudly, I'd ask her to put you into another appartment. Try to appeal to her sensibilities. Tell her that you don't want to disrupt the people below you (her friends) and that you need peace and quiet. Tell her that you feel this would be the best option. Maybe even suggest that you'd be willing to pay a nominal fee for the move.

I hope this works out.

Sincerely,
Another Noise-Sensetive Person

Old 10-27-2014, 01:08 PM

139 posts, read 311,075 times
It looks like you have done all the requisite steps, except call the police and from my experience that doesn't help anything either. There is really nothing I can add except for empathy and to let you know that you are not alone. Constant bass can darn near drive you insane, from having homicidal thoughts (never could quite figure out the perfect plan...lol) to PTSD (I would hear bass even when it wasn't there). Thankfully, my bass issues have eased up some, but from around this time last year until May this year I really did not know what I was going to do as I had done the letter writing, talking to, police route to no avail. It still pops up now and then, but nowhere near how it used to be.

Most of the time there is just no dealing with inconsiderate people. If possible, I believe the advice above about moving into another available apartment may be your best bet. But it sounds like you may be in a building I used to live in where there was no escape from a loud neighbor. Best of luck to you.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:19 PM

217 posts, read 314,169 times
Honestly, there really isn't much that you can do in apartment living except finish out your lease and never rent an apartment again.

I'm in the same boat but with a neighbor's dog. I have 6 months left in my lease and then I will rent/buy a house next and never again rent an apartment.

Problem is even if you move apartments, there is no guarantee that the next person that moves in won't be the same bass-loving inconsiderate freak.

What I'm pretty much doing is trying to spend as little time as possible in my apartment ( which is good since it's an excuse to get out more) and try not to focus on the problem. Also, a good set of bluetooth headphones helps too.

I know your pain... but as with most things in life, this too shall pass.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If someone gets angry simply because you bring something to their attention and ask if they can help resolve the issue then that's their problem. A polite letter from you to the manager/landlord should be responded to in a similarly business-like way. It's the only remedy you have available and in no way reflects that you're in any way a "problem tenant" by any stretch. Oral communication means nothing and neither does her relationship with the other tenant(s). Don't over think and don't make assumptions - your request for assistance is perfectly understandable and legitimate.

What you are saying makes sense. I guess I will type out a polite letter that states the circumstance that I am in. It can't hurt. If my building manager doesn't seem to want to help I will talk to the company who actually owns the apartment building.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Monkey, I understand how you feel. I am hyper-sensetive to noises. Footfall and bass are the two of the worst noises for me. (Gum clicking noises drive me out of my mind!) Anyway, I've been in your situation and I understand how frustrating it is. You actaully feel as though you cannot be relaxed in your own home. It's a terrible way to live.

This is what I would do:

Since you know that the building manager knows the person below you plays their music loudly, I'd ask her to put you into another appartment. Try to appeal to her sensibilities. Tell her that you don't want to disrupt the people below you (her friends) and that you need peace and quiet. Tell her that you feel this would be the best option. Maybe even suggest that you'd be willing to pay a nominal fee for the move.

I hope this works out.

Sincerely,
Another Noise-Sensetive Person

Hey, you sound like my long lost twin!! Yes, bass is the absolute worst. The guy who used to live above me drove me crazy for a long time because his floor boards were super creaky and it sounded like he was moving furniture around all the time. I eventually was able to ignore it though. Now he is gone and I miss his stomping - I would take that any day over the bass!

I guess I could move to a different unit - there are several vacant. However, I don't know if I can afford a different one. I actually have the smallest unit there - it is a renovated 1 bedroom, basically the bedroom is attched onto the apartment next to me and there is a small closet where the door to the bedroom used to be. If I was to move to one of the actual studios it would be $50 more a month for me. I guess it is an option......but a huge pain Plus I fixed up my bathroom by myself and I have so much wall decor and decorations......ugh.

But I can't live like this. I'll keep it in mind

Old 10-27-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydarl View Post
It looks like you have done all the requisite steps, except call the police and from my experience that doesn't help anything either. There is really nothing I can add except for empathy and to let you know that you are not alone. Constant bass can darn near drive you insane, from having homicidal thoughts (never could quite figure out the perfect plan...lol) to PTSD (I would hear bass even when it wasn't there). Thankfully, my bass issues have eased up some, but from around this time last year until May this year I really did not know what I was going to do as I had done the letter writing, talking to, police route to no avail. It still pops up now and then, but nowhere near how it used to be.

Most of the time there is just no dealing with inconsiderate people. If possible, I believe the advice above about moving into another available apartment may be your best bet. But it sounds like you may be in a building I used to live in where there was no escape from a loud neighbor. Best of luck to you.

I have such anxiety that I "hear bass" even when it isn't there as well. I fear coming back to my apartment, and I constantly worry that I won't be able to sleep/relax/or get things done on my days off. Did anyone really end up helping you? Like your landlord or the police? Did you ever talk to the people playing the bass?

I agree, inconsiderate people cannot usually be rationed with. Yes, the other poster did mention that I try to move into another unit - it is an option considering there are some other units available. I would have to pay more though and money is very tight for me. I also have so much home decor and I remodeled my bathroom myself too.....just so frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting