Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:43 PM

323 posts, read 1,391,011 times

Advertisements

We manage a building of 25 units and we rented to
a trouble making as well as racist person. She has only
been here two or three weeks if that and everyday for
the last five days there is an incident or two per day.
Such as her telling people off for smoking outside near
the entrance way of the building as one example.
Her balcony on the second
floor looks over the entrance way. She smokes too and has even
gone there to smoke too. I think the problem could be solved by
putting a no smoking sign there but it's not just that that she is
using to start fights with people.

She even goes downstairs or to peoples actual apartments
to tell them off.
She is doing so in a bizarre manner that is obvious that she is
having some sort of melt down in her life. It seems she is mostly
mean to men too. My SO and I know she has been going through
a lot in her life recently. Lost custody of her two children and the list
goes on. My SO says that her personality and appearance was so different
at first. Now she looks and acts upset and angry all the time. She has
scolded six fellows in all including my SO two or three times. There has been probably 12 incidences in all in about five days.

The worse of it is with an Asian man next door. She has told him on two different occasions to go back to his own country and stop looking at her or stop smoking in the front. He lives in the next door building and is the nicest guy you could ever meet. The worse part is that a few hours ago, from what I just heard, she told him to go back to his own country again but this time in front of his little girl! It is so out of hand. Maybe that man could call the police on her and get a restraining order?
Plus maybe we could send her a registered letter to desist all contact with other tenants and if she has an issue to file a complaint with us. My So has told her verbally to come to him if she has an issue and not directly to the tenants. My SO has been hearing from about four different tenants. Plus she even made a comment to the owner but he didn't have to time to bother as he was running around doing last minute stuff before leaving on vacation.

The owner has left for a two week vacation and knows all about this except today's latest episode. I have talked to her and she is nice to me but my SO and I are very leery of her. I don't know how to deal with someone that seems to be going out of her way to be trying to fight with so many people. She is behaving very strangely the way she talks and her body language when she is going after people. I think she is just going a bit bonkers. At first her Dad was here all the time renovating her new apt. He is retired. He is never around now for about a week and meanwhile this has become out of hand. We want to get a hold of him and let him know. It's a mess!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 10:45 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
does the lease have a clause about disturbancees or disturbing the other tenants. Even a clause about preventing other tenants from enjoying thier own space. If so, start eviction proceedings. Non payment of rent is not the only reason for people being evicted.
i don't know where you are, eviction process is different in different areas. Start the eviction process for being a nuicense and disturbing other tenants.
You may well have to ask other tenants to send you a swritten statement of what was said and done. In any statement, make sure the person writes thier apartment number in the statement. Keep all statements, date when you get them. Present them to the judge for eviction. Eviction is sometimes a good thing.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:01 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
This woman sounds angry and disturbed. her change in personality and appearance and confrontational behavior lead me to believe that she is suffering from a major psychiatric disorder. Perhaps the loss of custody of her children has pushed her over the edge. obviously before she lost custody she must have been involved in the abuse or neglect of her children.

I think she may be bi-polar and not medicated or suffers from a personality disorder such as borderline personality disorder.

As the previous poster wrote, I do not know the specific laws of your state or for that matter your county or municipality.

I would do my best to create a paper trail of these incidents. If she harasses another tenant urge them to call the police. Even if they deem it a civil matter they usually write up an incident report.
This would lend credibility to the case for her eviction.

You also could urge tenants to form a group and create a petition of people who have had problematic encounters with this woman.
The property owner will need to respond to individual letters that request that she must stop this behavior or that they will leave the building.

Money is the bottom line for the owner so even if the owner seems apathetic to the complaints of the neighbors, if he is threatened with a mass exodus of paying tenants, he will most likely respond.

Document everything. Urge tenants to send complaints via certified mail rather than by phone.

Good luck to all of you.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:21 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Aside from diagnosing a person long distance, it's incredible to see someone handing down a third-party diagnosis. Obviously the tenant in question is having some issues. They are hers and her father's to deal with. However, she is an adult. Contacting her father is just wrong, IMO. Send her a cease and desist letter - there are legal forms you can find for that term - outlining the specific behavior you wish her to cease - such as: telling other tenants to return to their country of ancestry; telling others where (not) to smoke; knocking on apt doors of other tenants. Leave out your judgments and be specific as to behavior/activity of hers which you expect her to stop doing.

I'm sure there is something in your state's landlord-tenant laws which will tell you the remainder steps you can take. Google.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Aside from diagnosing a person long distance, it's incredible to see someone handing down a third-party diagnosis. Obviously the tenant in question is having some issues. They are hers and her father's to deal with. However, she is an adult. Contacting her father is just wrong, IMO. Send her a cease and desist letter - there are legal forms you can find for that term - outlining the specific behavior you wish her to cease - such as: telling other tenants to return to their country of ancestry; telling others where (not) to smoke; knocking on apt doors of other tenants. Leave out your judgments and be specific as to behavior/activity of hers which you expect her to stop doing.

I'm sure there is something in your state's landlord-tenant laws which will tell you the remainder steps you can take. Google.
Yes, I after reading ShaneSa and Sheena12's suggestions on legal procedures I realize contacting her Father is pretty futile because what does he have to do with it. Though he came with her to rent the place and was always around while renovations was going on. In any case, yes legal proceedings have to start asap!

Old 08-05-2010, 10:58 AM

Thanks, all for your replies. I only brought up the wacky behavior because I knew she was
going through a lot and felt sorry for her. People are getting upset though including us so it's time to try to resolve this awful situation. Her behavior is getting crazier by the hour. Police were
called last night but she wasn't around. She is starting up again today with a neighbor. Just standing
there staring at his front door with sunglasses on. I told him to call the police and in the meantime write a letter about the incidences with dates. I will tell the others to do the same. I only brought up her Father because she seems to be a progressively greatly disturbed individual and maybe needs to be involved. Maybe he knows something like maybe she is obviously off of her meds. She was normal acting for the first couple of weeks after renting the apt. after all. In any case, thank you all.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:23 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,405,498 times
Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:41 PM

NY Annie I was not "diagnosing a person long distance" or "handing down a third party diagnoses"
What is YOUR problem?

I was conjecturing as to why this woman might be behaving this way.
There have been instances when a strange acting person a tenant, has taken it to the next level and become dangerous.

Consider the case of Lori Dann in the 1980s. She was just dismissed as "odd". Her parents set her up in a dorm at, I think University of Chicago and she did things ranging from annoying to bizarre to others who lived in the building.

Her family was in denial about her illness. She stuffed meat into sofas in the lounge area and harassed other student tenants in her building.

She obtained a job in child care of all things.

Her illness culminated in taking an elementary school hostage and the death of a few children. She also handed out poisonous rice crispy treats.

What I am trying to say is that one never knows when a bothersome eccentric might go off and do something worse that is a danger to other people.

My instincts in regard to people like that are quite good. And this situation does not sound good at all.
I gave the poster sound advice, for which I was thanked.

This is a forum a chat board - not a psychiatrist's office. People are allowed to give their impressions and that is in fact what forums such as this are for.

I was not practicing medicine with out a license or for that matter practicing real estate with out a license. I was giving my thoughts about the issue and I suggested a path that might lead to resolution of this issue.

You really have no idea what my background education or expertise is in any subject.
Why the criticism and nastiness?

I was trying to help as one friend would help another.
That is all.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:45 PM

Good luck cazelais and do keep us posted. The person you describe sound very sick. It is doubtful that the family will help you. they are most likely part of the problem.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:16 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Tell them off about what? The no smoking/loitering should be a given and sign posted. But I don't understand what she is telling them off about? The "looking at her" seems weird.But if she is living in an apartment where people's smoke and noise are constantly irritating her....

Maybe the nice asian man is a peeping tom?

Has there been problems that the agency has not resolved for her? My LL said to always go to them for any problem not matter how small. I would tell her that. Then you can see if she really is "crazy" or "crazy irritated" by annoying neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting