Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 10:55 AM

3 posts, read 18,299 times

Advertisements

I'm renting a small 10x10 room for $350. There's two people currently living there. None of them are the landlords of the house. One guy says that my rent payment should be made out to his name. He is not the landlord, but he tells me that he'll pay all the utilities, cable, and internet. It's a very nice house, and all of the furniture belongs to him and he seems like a highly paid professional.

I can give some other information, but I just don't know what else to say.

How do I know if I he's gonna take the check and act as if I don't live there (or steal my stuff)?

Has anyone in this world ever rented a month-to-month room in a strangers house without a lease?

Please ask me questions regarding this issue!

New Info 8/14/2010 10:00 AM:
He also told me that the way it works is that, between him and the landlord, he has to pay 1700 for the rent (it is the best, most furnished, and beautiful house I have ever seen in my entire life). If he doesn't pay that much, he would be kicked out by the landlord. He can, however, rent out the extra rooms to pay for the month-to-month, no-lease rent. I recall that he doesn't even have a lease either, and neither does the other roommate. But I will have to write the check to him.

I have not moved in, and he told me yesterday that he would have to talk to his roommate--whom I've never met--about me moving in.

New Info 8/14/2010 10:10 AM:
I told him that I was afraid of being screwed over, and I gave him examples how he could screw me over. So he responded that he has the bigger risk because I could be the one to steal his 40-to-50 inch TV, his mustang, or his Harley.

He also talked about doing chores every week and about who gets to park where. I get no parking space, and I have to park on the curb. I have permission to park in the driveway during street sweep days but I will be blocking the cars. He seemed like he did have a good paying job, and he spoke pretty convincingly (meaning he doesn't sound like he's a liar). He also said that the upstairs room (my room) can get hot because heat rises, even though we have central air ventilation. He says, however, that I can hang out in the living room anytime I want. He also says I can buy my own window AC unit and use the AC, but I'll pay for electricity.

It's so hard to know his intentions. The rent is so cheap. The house is so nice. I don't pay utilities.

I have two concerns:

1) I told him that I am an unemployed student with no job, but I receive financial aid and can show it to him. Do you think he'll want me as a roommate?

2) This place seems to good to be true, but I am very used to signing expensive leases because of their legality. Should I rent this place or not?

*I also have his emails and craigslist ad if anyone is interested.

Last edited by poetryrocksalot; 08-14-2010 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 11:18 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,765,643 times
I hope to GOD you have not given him or anyone else in the house any money .

Sounds like you got this off Craiglist ?

You have no protection . No rights if this guy scr*ws you...

RUN !

Old 08-14-2010, 11:27 AM

It is off craigslist, and I've been to his house.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:05 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,168,153 times
Proceed with caution.
It's possible it's legit, I've been toying with the idea of renting out a room in my home, I think a lot of people are finding themselves in a situation where a little bit of extra income every month would help ease the financial worries due to the bad economy. You'd be my version of an ideal renter, college student with provable income and a short term stay.

But you know what they say about something that sounds too good to be true... Is there any way you can contact the actual landlord?
Have him show you something in writing that he owns the house and make sure he is okay with the situation? Is the guy willing to hand over a key to the house at the same time you give him your first check? I certainly wouldn't hand over any kind of money without a key in my hands first.

I think it sounds a little off that you're being asked to make the check out to the other guy, although it's not unheard of. My son, also in college, and his roommates all give their money to one of the guys who gives a single check to the landlord. My son collects all the money for utilities and writes a single check for that, so it's not like only one person collects all the money for everything, they try to balance it out. Sort of sharing the risk I guess.

The thing about him maybe stealing your stuff, or you stealing his, well that's a possibility in any situation where you share housing, lease or no lease. Just comes with the territory.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:23 PM

Thanks DublbeT...

I'll ask to let me talk to the landlord.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:46 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
There is no reason in the world you can't just write up a simple contract and get him to sign it. At the very least it is something you can bring to court with you should things turn ugly.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:08 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
I would advise you NOT to get involved with this situation. There are too many unknown quantities involved.
As room renter, you do not have the same rights as an apartment dweller does.
I think there MUST be something better for you.
If you have problems with thus man, you are at his mercy.
Shesh, Rnlish anyonrd abd tiy whcwtcy

Old 08-16-2010, 06:49 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Written Agreements don't mean much until there is a problem... sounds like lots of potential problems...

It's your call...

I've rented on a handshake to family... no problems... I would never recommend it and especially with total strangers.

Written Rental Agreements are for your protection...

and... don't sign unless you agree with everything that is in writing

Old 08-16-2010, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 9,483 times
I agree......in writing to clarify and have some way of proving what you agreed to.
Best if it is signed and witnessed.....both get copies. Use your instincts if it doent feel right its probably not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting