Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 11:37 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,245 times

Advertisements

I'm renting out a 2br in a 4 plex for $525. It's newly rennovated. As a landlord, how do you figure what a good deposit amount should be? I see anywhere from no deposit all the way to a full month's deposit.

Seems like the higher you make it the harder time you will have finding someone who can come up with such a big chunk of cash. On the other hand carpet cleaning, unit cleaning, blinds, etc. could add up fast. Everything is brand new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 11:50 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,948,457 times
1 moneths rent
PLUS deposit equal to 1 moneths rent
PLUS a pet FEE/ I charge a $200.00 pet fee thats NON REFUNDABLE.. they only have the right to have a pet there id they pay the fee.. it does NOT cover pet damages period
SO stop feeling bad for the "poor tenants" they want the place bad enough they can and will come up with the full amount of Rent, deposit and pet fee befor move in .. and they dont get to move in if I dont have that money in hand .. GOOD tenants are able to do that and thats what you want is a good tenant.. The lets make a deal crowd will 99% of the time rip you off over for pet fees and the critter damages the place anyways .. same for the deposit..
Get your money up front and dont fall for the sob stories

$1250 for a decent place to rent is affordable to good renters ..

Old 08-17-2010, 12:10 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
It's not uncommon to ask for first month's rent, last month's rent and one month's security deposit for a total of three months upfront. Business is business!

Old 08-17-2010, 01:23 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,486,679 times
Look up your state law to see if there is a maximum.

We charge about a month's rent for deposit with pet deposit on top of that.

Yes, a larger deposit will filter out some tenants, but the ones that get filtered out are living too close to the bone, and are more likely to not have rent because of sob story A, B or C.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:27 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Very important to know what is permitted by law... don't want to get yourself in trouble for something that is avoidable.

My State does not recognize any fee, deposit, etc that is not refundable... other than the statutory amount permissible to collect for running an application...

That said... you are free to charge any permitted amount. I find the custom varies from area to area... some places charge 1.5 times the monthly rent because it often takes more than a month to evict for non-payment...

Avoid anyone that doesn't have the required deposit/move-in rent upfront... and make sure to collect all money due no later than when the key is given...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting