Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 07:18 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,440,564 times

Advertisements

My niece is very upset; she found a house to rent that she loves. However the landlord wants to check her credit for any evictions and a background check through renters.com. She has no problem with this except they ask for banking acct. #, amount in acct. and social security number.

I told her thi is too risky to give that info out. They can actually do background checks without soc. sec. # and evictions are publically accesed; and you have to be out of your mind to give banking info.

Anyone experience this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 07:39 AM

17,420 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
My niece is very upset; she found a house to rent that she loves. However the landlord wants to check her credit for any evictions and a background check through renters.com. She has no problem with this except they ask for banking acct. #, amount in acct. and social security number.

I told her thi is too risky to give that info out. They can actually do background checks without soc. sec. # and evictions are publically accesed; and you have to be out of your mind to give banking info.

Anyone experience this?
Our credit checks require a social security number.

If someone refuses to provide me with that info so I can run their credit to see what kind of risk they are, they don't become a tenant of mine.

As for your banking account number - I don't ask for the account number, but if they write me a check, I have it right in front of me anyway.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:24 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,407,879 times
No way I would intentionally give ANYONE my banking number. But like Chuckity said, it on your check anyway.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:59 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,486,679 times
I agree. Social Security number is required, or we won't rent to you. In part because of the credit check, but also because if we have to evict you and garnish your wages, someone in that process is going to need it to ensure they are serving the right person.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:00 AM

This info goes to rentingauthority.com not the landlord, she is to fill it out on-line. Ever hear of this company?

Old 08-20-2010, 09:46 AM

720 posts, read 3,008,051 times
Generally I prefer renting from a landlord who owns individual properties than a management company or large apartment complex but its interesting you bring up this topic.

I often look at places on craigslist and seeing as how anyone can put up an ad for free and most landlords dont have a brick nad mortar office essentially someone could place an ad for ap lace for rent just to get your personal info. Thats I guess one upside of rrenting from a larger complex, you know where they are and who they are.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:40 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,381,780 times
That sounds completely standard to me. I've always given my social security number and banking info, whenever I've rented a new place.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Generally I prefer renting from a landlord who owns individual properties than a management company or large apartment complex but its interesting you bring up this topic.

I often look at places on craigslist and seeing as how anyone can put up an ad for free and most landlords dont have a brick nad mortar office essentially someone could place an ad for ap lace for rent just to get your personal info. Thats I guess one upside of rrenting from a larger complex, you know where they are and who they are.
This is neither. It is the owner of the home using this service, and she used craigslist.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:29 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Social Security number is the key to low-cost and quick credit reports.

In days gone by... management staff would spend hours calling references and verifying accounts... not going to happen today because of the time and most credit grantors will not discuss personal information... especially to a stranger over the phone.

She can continue looking for someone that does not require a formal credit check... I know a few owners with a couple of units that still operate this way.

My guess is every management company will require all the information which also would be needed should her account ever be turned over to a collection agency...

Old 08-20-2010, 12:03 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,687,523 times
Asking for the info sounds standard, but since it is standard, any one can pretend to be a LL or PM and post an ad. When people contact them, they ask for this "standard" info which because its standard, you don't get worried. Unless you know who this person is and that they are really legit, you could be giving away info just because you think its normal. Its not what info is being asked, its who is asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting