Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 12:46 PM

64 posts, read 154,962 times

Advertisements

Had a bad living situation my last year of college.
Stupidly moved in my then boyfriend Ryan & our mutual friend Doug. Long story short, Ryan turned into a violent drunk & Doug couldn't pay rent. I took on a lot of financial responsibilities trying to make rent & pay utilities, but I ended up in debt & emotionally broken.
My LL was a lacks guy. I told him of the situation both of them were putting me in. Showed him videos of Ryan drunkenly destroying the house and my bank statements with proof of Doug's checks bouncing. He genuinely cared. He offered to evict Ryan & Doug, even though we did not have separate lease agreements, but I just did not have enough financial backing, or time to find two new roommates. So I had to break the lease only 7 months in.

This was a year 1/2 ago, and I'll be moving in a few months, so I'm just wondering how this will reflect on my future rental applications. And if there's a way for future LL's to view potential tenant information, even if I was not evicted?

If you need any clarification, just ask. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 12:51 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DottyDo View Post
Stupidly moved in my then boyfriend Ryan & our mutual friend Doug. Long story short, Ryan turned into a violent drunk & Doug couldn't pay rent. I took on a lot of financial responsibilities trying to make rent & pay utilities, but I ended up in debt & emotionally broken.
My LL was a lacks guy. I told him of the situation both of them were putting me in. Showed him videos of Ryan drunkenly destroying the house and my bank statements with proof of Doug's checks bouncing. He genuinely cared. He offered to evict Ryan & Doug, even though we did not have separate lease agreements, but I just did not have enough financial backing, or time to find two new roommates. So I had to break the lease only 7 months in.

This was a year 1/2 ago, and I'll be moving in a few months, so I'm just wondering how this will reflect on my future rental applications. And if there's a way for future LL's to view potential tenant information, even if I was not evicted?

If you paid the landlord what you owed him, then it shouldn't affect you. He may not give you any references, but that's not a big deal.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:52 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Different, depends on the owners view as well.
Without court orders neither may not show up. You do not want to use them as a reference.
Have your credit ran and see if it shows up at all.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
You said that your LL "genuinely cared" so how did your relationship end with him? If breaking the lease was OK with him, you shouldn't have a problem but your post was unclear in that respect.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:13 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
It all depends how believable you come across with a new LL.

We do background checks and we don't except any one with an eviction or breaking the lease in the last 3 yrs...the chances it will happen again are just to big and the rental market is too big, so we have plenty of candidates to choose from, and since we handle every one the same we don't make exceptions when it comes to this rule...

Sorry you had to deal with this...if it doesn't come up on your background check then you can rent just like any one else.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:25 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
What is your situation now? Are you renting alone with more than adequate income, stable job, etc? As a PM I would appreciate the truth however, in your case if there was nothing reported on your credit by the LL no one is going to know.

Make good choices.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:36 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
This could have been a reason to break the lease, technically, even though he didn't touch you (or maybe he did) violence within the home is considered Domestic Violence, with police reports, you no longer have to live under those conditions.

You could have been removed from the lease and left them to fend for themselves. This is in many states Landlord/Tenant law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DottyDo View Post

Old 02-28-2013, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 20,402 times
I lost my job 4 months ago and I know longer can afford my apartment. Should I just tell them and move out or wait to be evicted?

Old 02-28-2013, 03:39 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by habrown View Post
I lost my job 4 months ago and I know longer can afford my apartment. Should I just tell them and move out or wait to be evicted?

tell them and move. Do NOT wait to be evicted. Eviction is a permanent mark on your record. It gets recorded on official government records. Any time a background check is done on you (such as future job or future rental or future mortgage), they will see the eviction. You might lose out on a new job or get turned down for an apartment or loan if an eviction is on your record. Not so for breaking a lease.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:41 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by habrown View Post
Talk to your landlord. An eviction is a court action and when a judgement is rendered against you it will remain on your record for many years to come which will negatively affect not only your ability to qualify for other rentals but will negatively affect your credit rating and thus mess up a whole lot more for a long time to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting