Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 12:43 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times

Advertisements

It was not meant to be snotty, just the truth. I had a similar situation happen to me and I did not have renters insurance. I can't go back and fix my mistakes but I can warn others as to what can happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 12:56 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,410,495 times
Exclamation huh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
what a snotty answer.
Nothing snotty about this answer. In fact, I intend to call my insurance company this morning and see if our cars are covered under our Renters Policy should anything happen due to the horrible parking and relentless tree triming that goes on around our complex. So, actually, I am greatful for this particular response.
Koale

Old 07-30-2012, 02:07 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,927,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Nothing snotty about this answer. In fact, I intend to call my insurance company this morning and see if our cars are covered under our Renters Policy should anything happen due to the horrible parking and relentless tree triming that goes on around our complex. So, actually, I am greatful for this particular response.
Koale
renter's insurance covers the contents of the home. you'd have to look at your auto policy for coverage.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,247 times
if there are dead trees and bushes in a house we rented and the owner wont respond to me can I remove them and hold back rent

Old 05-05-2017, 10:43 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracywarda View Post
if there are dead trees and bushes in a house we rented and the owner wont respond to me can I remove them and hold back rent
Probably not.

Laws vary from state to state, but withholding rent is usually only acceptable when the issue is providing the unit from being habitable. Some dead bushes and trees have no bearing on habitability.

If you truly want to go this route, seek legal advice. There are rules (varies by state) on this type of thing. i.e. withheld rent needs to be deposited in a separate account, how you notify the landlord, etc...

Old 05-06-2017, 05:14 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracywarda View Post

You cannot withhold rent for dead tree and bushes in your yard. However, if they are in the house, as you say they are, you might be able to. I can't imagine living with dead trees and bushes in my living room. Withholding rent isn't to be done willy nilly...it's usually done thru the courts, unless you and the landlord agree to it and of course you have it in writing.

Read your lease in regards to yard maintenance and who is responsible for what. If you're still not sure, call the landlord. If you can't reach the landlord by phone, send him a CRR letter asking him to contact you in regards to the trees and bushes. Don't assume it's you, don't assume it's him...get clarification first.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 471 times
I had a large tree fall and total my car at a house I have been renting for 7 years. I do have renters insurance. Because it is a act of God, is the landlord responsible for the tree that has been dead for a long time, and am I able to put in a claim?

Old 08-08-2017, 11:12 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneGrimm View Post
I had a large tree fall and total my car at a house I have been renting for 7 years. I do have renters insurance. Because it is a act of God, is the landlord responsible for the tree that has been dead for a long time, and am I able to put in a claim?
Varies by states, but first things first, can you show the landlord was aware the tree was dead and that you provided notice of the problem?

Old 08-09-2017, 08:31 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Car damage is covered by your auto insurance. If all you have is the basic cheap liability, car damage is the responsibility of the car owner.

Patio furniture would be covered by the renter's insurance.

If the tree is diseased or dying and the landlord is aware of that fact, then it is the landlord's responsibility to remove it or else to accept liability for damage from dropping limbs. But normal limb drop from an otherwise healthy tree, no.

Maybe it is just me, but if I had a large tree that was known to drop sizable limbs, I wouldn't park my car under it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting