Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 11:25 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Both of YOU MISSED my Point......
Section 8 units must meet minimum HQS (Housing Quality Standards).

The standard is really very simple and is reduced to a pass of fail checklist.

Units must meet the rent reasonableness standard... the Housing Authority tracks and classifies units based on size and price.

The goal is to provide shelter for as many qualifying families as possible in units that meet the HUD threshold.

It can be a challenge to find an above average unit when the rent allowance is based on average.

Some are very fortunate and find something suitable quickly... others find it necessary to move 2 or 3 times in the first few years to find what they are looking for.

In unusual circumstances... HUD can approve 10% (at least this was the number last time I checked) over the the Fair Market Rent.

I've had Housing Representatives call me asking if I had available units because they had families they could personally recommend seeking housing...

Your housing rep may be able to provide additional assistance.

Remember... every unit must meet Housing Quality Standards prior to lease initiation... it is probable that some of the units mentioned would not or could not meet HQS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 09:26 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Quote:
My son & I are supose to be in a 2 Bedroom.. BUT we can only AFFORD 1 bedroom WHY cause all the rental properties are OVER Priced for the area Unless we want to live in a slum!! My limit is $710 inc Utilities.... Rentals that are decent for 2 bedrooms are over that + Utilities! So No Not ALL Section 8 live high off the hog!!
You are right Katie....some seem to and some don't. Another thing lots of people don't realize is how many hoops you have to jump through to get any sort of government help. My daughter is a 21 year old single mom of one child and she is lucky if they don't screw up her food stamps. She doesn't even want to fool with trying to get anything else because it is such a hassle.

Plus, any government housing she would actually qualify for would be in an area too unsafe for her to live in.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:07 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Your so right.... they messed up my sons FS Not His fault But instead of the worker paying them back they came after my son!!

Old 10-10-2010, 06:41 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
The people who called me for my house all stated "they were willing to pay the additional out of pocket" to live in my home that is in a resort style living...

With our property management company the section 8 people call for the higher end and never get we calls for the lower rentals for section 8...that is why I put up this thread...

Old 10-10-2010, 09:23 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
My experience is there are always a few that try to work the system...

At least one certificate holder per vacancy would approach me to make a deal outside of the Section 8 program... it's something I will never do because the moment a landlord accepts money outside the program... they have given the tenant leverage and compromised the Section 8 Landlord/Tenant relationship.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:33 PM

I always ask IF they have apts lower than adv....maybe I going about this apt hunting wrong LOL Being in a wheelchair its twice as hard to find the right apt!

Old 10-12-2010, 01:13 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
I always ask IF they have apts lower than adv....maybe I going about this apt hunting wrong LOL Being in a wheelchair its twice as hard to find the right apt!
I knew someone that was in similar situation in terms of finding an affordable, accessible Sec 8 apartment. a lot of landlords won't or simply can't make their homes accessible (esp. older homes like those in the Boston area). people in your predicament (physically disabled) should get more money to expand the search since such apartments are really hard to find.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:21 PM

I agree! The ones in my range Always have steps even into the 1st floor apts. LL are not willing to allow a ramp to get in & out of them.....even when the VA is Very Willing to build 1 for me....no expence on the LL. I just Dont understand their thinking. They Always say the building was built before ADA so why should they bother. Seems to me an Upgrade would benifit Them more than me in the long run. Not like I beable to take it when I move.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
Sorry Katie, I agree with zz. Perhaps Section 8 is not the way to go and we should go back to specific low income housing projects. It was cheaper and easier to manage. I know that there are taxpayers that are contributing to your subsidy that don't have it as good as you do.
1st My income is from MY SSD I worked Hard to pay into the system as a TAXPAYER so it would be there when I needed it...... 2nd I Dont get $710 a month & Neither does my LL. We are cramped into a 1 bedroom apt which is Way Below my limit! Because LL Double rent for 2 bedrooms it seems! AND I would NOT be in this position IF the HUD office here Refuses to let me leave the area. I would be Looking elsewhere where rent is not so high. I also would Not be on HUD if while Fighting for my SSD I hadnt lost my Home that I worked hard for & only had 3 yrs of payments left. Gee I hope None of you EVER Lose EVERYTHING do to injury or illness! Thanks for making me & others like me feel like Dirt!

Old 10-12-2010, 01:47 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
I've seen "Section 8 welcome" on a $3000 rental in San Francisco..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting