Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:26 AM

7,634 posts, read 8,701,274 times

Advertisements

Is hot water always on the same bill as heat and gas? IOW does the use of hot water affect the cost on the tenant's side if the tenant pays for electricity and gas? I'm a little confused because in some rentals the winter bill is high due to the use of heat, which means tenant is responsible for how much heat used, while in other cases the super or owner are stingy about turning on heat, which means the heat is covered by the rent. What about hot water? Or is there difference between an apartment and a house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 01:23 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
I think this somewhat depends on the area. In my area, probably 90% of hot water is provided by a gas hot water tank. So the more hot water you use, the higher the gas bill, whoever pays it. We do, however, have 2 rentals that have all electric, including both heat and water heater, no gas at all. They are both older units. Also, I'm not sure on tankless hot water heaters, they may be electric only.

So no, the hot water does not have to be on the same bill as the gas, but if the tenant pays both gas and electric, they are probably picking up hot water on one or the other. I can't really think of a 3rd source.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:54 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Several Properties I managed included Hot Water... these properties have a large central water heater or two or three water heaters.

It is a cost savings for the builder not having to put in individual hot water heaters with gas lines and vent hoods in each unit.

Good to know exactly what you are getting into...

I prefer separately meter utilities... that way, I can exercise control of what I use and pay for.

Single family homes are always separately metered... who pays for what is detailed in the Rental Agreement.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:20 PM

102 posts, read 185,203 times
So, basically the tenant is responsible for the hot water even the lease says hot water inc. If you are paying for the gas and electricity means that you are paying for the hot water too. I thought the hot water is managed by power not gas; I am saying this because I noticed I get a high bill from nimo bill every month.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:04 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
It depends on who is paying to run the hot water heater.

In my apt in an old converted hotel, the hot water is included in the rent, because the owner of the building pays to run the old giant water furnace in the basement. We don't have separate hot water heaters in our apartments, so there is no way to meter our hot water use.

I pay for the electricity in my apt, which is on it's own meter - for lights, heat/air conditioning, oven, etc.

In the place I just moved from, all utilities were included, including hot water. The reason is because it also was an old building that never got separate meters for the apartments, at all.

Hope that makes sense.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:36 PM

155 posts, read 556,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Is hot water always on the same bill as heat and gas? IOW does the use of hot water affect the cost on the tenant's side if the tenant pays for electricity and gas? I'm a little confused because in some rentals the winter bill is high due to the use of heat, which means tenant is responsible for how much heat used, while in other cases the super or owner are stingy about turning on heat, which means the heat is covered by the rent. What about hot water? Or is there difference between an apartment and a house?
It depeneds on the appartment
my old appartment they pay for the hotwater and heater. So I will pay only 50 r 60$ a month

but in my new appartment I need to pay everything (around 300$/month)

But hot water will not cost more. That is what my understanding.
but heater cost will be huge if its electric

Old 01-07-2014, 09:18 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,253,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
What's your real question? You need to give more specifics.

Water usage has it's own bill. Doesn't matter if it's hot or not.

There is no specific "hot water bill".

The type of energy used to heat the water in the hot water tank can be gas, electric, propane, solar, etc. and that is what you will be charged for, to heat that water up, IF you pay the energy bill to do so. If it's separately metered, you may not.

In every house in any state that sees a winter, the "winter bill" is always higher due to turning the heat on when it gets cold outside.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:15 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabest View Post
So, basically the tenant is responsible for the hot water even the lease says hot water inc. If you are paying for the gas and electricity means that you are paying for the hot water too. I thought the hot water is managed by power not gas; I am saying this because I noticed I get a high bill from nimo bill every month.
No, not necesarily. It depends if you have the hot water heater in your unit or if its the building's hot water heater. If the building has one or two central hot water heaters, you don't pay for it, just like you don't pay for the electricity to run the lights in the hallway of the building. If your unit has a hw heater specific to your unit alone, then you do pay for it. I pay for my cooking gas but not the gas used for the hot water.

Water is separate from "Heat to warm up your water." You get your water from a municipality, or otherwise a well. How or if the consumer choses to heat it is another matter.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 47,471 times
I recently rented and it stated hot water and heat included in rent, then con ed bill came in high landlord tells me that it was their mistake the line to heat the water in my apt unit is included w gas bill. I'm confused

Old 12-03-2016, 03:25 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,748 times
If you have a water heater in your apartment, you can look at it to see if it's gas or electric. If it's gas, look at your gas bill. If you have no water heater, but the hot water pipes come from somewhere else, it's probably included in the rent. And look to see where the heat comes from. If you have a furnace. Or if the heat ducts come from somewhere else. If the ducts are hot, they're probably heat ducts. If the pipes are hot, they're probably hot water pipes. A furnace will almost always be gas. Electric furnaces are wasteful. You're more likely to have baseboard or floor heat if you have electric heat. Or a heat pump. See if you have a heat pump. Those are electric. If the pipes and ducts aren't hot, wait till they're running. Heat from the registers and hot water from the taps. If you have drop ceilings you can remove some of the squares to see if there are ducts above them. You might be able to feel heat coming from the floor. If your building has a chiller system, the heat and A/C are powered by hot or cold water coming in pipes, included in the rent. You would have a fan assembly in your apartment that gets the heat or cold from those pipes by running the liquid through a coil or whatever and blowing air across it into your ducts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting