Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 05:43 PM

15 posts, read 24,030 times

Advertisements

Since we almost got scammed two weeks ago, we have done a lot of research on the most common cons, what to look for etc. Lesson learned....

But, lets say we found a house through a classifieds ad and have been corresponding with the landlord over a period of a dozen emails, and they appear genuine. We do background checks through two seperate services and find that they are who they say they are, they actually do own the property, and found nothing suspicious.

Lets also say that a houses hunting trip is undo-able and the home would be perfect; great size, price is right, location perfect....LL provides many photos....(I realize there are risks involved in moving without first seeing the property first-hand, but lets just assume that we have no other options....)

Rental Realtors won't touch properties that are not theirs, so a independant middle man would be hard to come by....

What would be the next step in the process?

A signed document? Would we be rather safe filling out rental application with personal info., etc.?

Please give your opinions....advice....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 10:06 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,943 times
I don't know where in MA you are moving to, but I wouldn't recommend moving w/o having seen the place first. There are so many things that could go wrong, you might not like the location, usually house pics are not very informative since it's very difficult to capture the whole room, etc...

Old 12-13-2010, 11:48 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,399,081 times
My next step would be to secure accommodations for a few days upon arrival, have an appointment set up with the LL and personally inspect the property. Go from there if you like it. I cannot imagine an instance in a usual move where renting sight unseen is the only option. You are already full of doubts just about the LL's "identity", why add to your stress level?

Old 12-14-2010, 07:37 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
I'm surprised that an agent won't help you find a house for lease no matter who lists it. I do it all the time, as do other agents in my area who handle rentals. I have lots of clients who move to the area and lease for six months to a year to get a feel, and then purchase, and we look at properties listed by lots of different leasing agents.

Now, if you're talking about apartments locators, that's something else entirely, and they generally aren't licensed, around here, anyway, and will only show the apartments that are listed with their company.

Things could, of course, be very different in the state you're looking in, but that's how it works here.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:44 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Some ideas:

1. Look at the property on Google earth

2. Contact an apartment relocator service and ask if one of their employees will do a "ala cart" independent review for you.

3. Put a posting on Craigslist "gigs" section and offer someone $50 to go out and do a visual for you. I bet if you post your need and describe what you want you will get a dozen responses and you can have a few screening phone conversations to identify the right person. You can pay them thru paypal once they send you digital photos.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:52 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Oh, and here in Texas we can go to the tax appraisal website (by county) and lookup owner's names by property address. Maybe you could do a little web research like that.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:37 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,410,495 times
Default another possible option...

I was wanting proof of our new landlords ownership. When I went to our Insurance carrier for a renters quote it pulled up the legal owner... I was relieved I didn't have to dig any deeper than that.
Koale.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:48 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
Smile Moving and info

It is best if moving to a new area to stay in an extended suites hotel (or whatever your budget is) rather than renting sight unseen. This will allow you a couple of weeks to look around. Could save a lot in the long run.

A red flag would be a landlord who exchanges a dozen e-mails with a prospect. I would usually not exchange more than perhaps two with a rental prospect. My usual reply is, here is my phone number, call me.

I don't put e-mail on Craigslist because you get spammed and scammed.

And other than vacaton rentals I won't sign a lease with a tenant without an in person interview.

Oh, PS - If you look up my property all you will find is an out of state corporation. That's called asset protection. And privacy protection. Cheers

Old 12-19-2010, 07:16 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
It is best if moving to a new area to stay in an extended suites hotel (or whatever your budget is) rather than renting sight unseen. This will allow you a couple of weeks to look around. Could save a lot in the long run.

A red flag would be a landlord who exchanges a dozen e-mails with a prospect. I would usually not exchange more than perhaps two with a rental prospect. My usual reply is, here is my phone number, call me.

I don't put e-mail on Craigslist because you get spammed and scammed.

And other than vacaton rentals I won't sign a lease with a tenant without an in person interview.

Oh, PS - If you look up my property all you will find is an out of state corporation. That's called asset protection. And privacy protection. Cheers
And that's when you call the Better Business Bureau.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:41 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
And that's when you call the Better Business Bureau.
This course of action is perfectly legal and common place. However if you are persistant enough you can find the names of the officers off LLC's and the like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting