Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 01:11 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Why didn't you say that in the first place? That totally changes things.
If he's being paid or being given a kickback for doing jobs around the complex, then he should be doing the jobs. Verify this information with your landlord.
He did say so in his first post. "When I moved in, my landlord, who lives off property, said my neighbor who lives directly below me, is responsible for taking the trash cans to the curb."

Unfortunately the majority of the OP's problems are pretty regular downsides of apartment living. My opinion is that the OP should have a sit-down chat with the LL to talk about this noisy neighbor with the attitude and see what can be worked out. I would only call the local PD as an absolute last resort. Maybe if you live in a community where the biggest crime of the year is a littering offense the police might be receptive to coming out because of someone's loud stereo but usually they have more important issues to deal with.

And, by the way, that bright red type made my eyes tear up and blocked my sinuses ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 04:14 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
He did say so in his first post. "When I moved in, my landlord, who lives off property, said my neighbor who lives directly below me, is responsible for taking the trash cans to the curb."

Unfortunately the majority of the OP's problems are pretty regular downsides of apartment living. My opinion is that the OP should have a sit-down chat with the LL to talk about this noisy neighbor with the attitude and see what can be worked out. I would only call the local PD as an absolute last resort. Maybe if you live in a community where the biggest crime of the year is a littering offense the police might be receptive to coming out because of someone's loud stereo but usually they have more important issues to deal with.

And, by the way, that bright red type made my eyes tear up and blocked my sinuses ...

No, I meant why didn't they say that the landlord was paying the neighbor to do it.

LOL sorry about your sinuses...I've been dealing with a sinus infection for a week now and just wanted to share my pain

I still say check with the city's noise ordinance. Our city is really tough on noisy ppl. The complex will handle noise that is made during the day, but if it's after office hours, we are told to call the police.

Our ordianance is very clear about noise coming from someone's home....if they can hear your music or whatever while standing x amount of feet from your home, they will say something and if you don't comply, you will be fined. The guy across the hall from me racked up $350 in fines, in one night. One month later, he was gone.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:07 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
No, I meant why didn't they say that the landlord was paying the neighbor to do it.
I didn't say he was defenitly paying him either. I just said "I'm not sure if he's paying the guy or giving him a lease discount or what, but the landlord said there was some sort of agreement in which he is responsible for doing so."

I thinkk what I'm going to do is just wait and see how long the garbage piles up before someone else satrts complaining or if the landlord notices whenever he comes by.

I'm not 100% sure of Pittsburgh's ordinances, but like the other poster said before, since it is a bigger city they may have bigger fish to fry, but also worth trying.

Thank your for the advice.

Garlic and orange juice helps with sinuses BTW

Old 01-04-2011, 07:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I didn't say he was defenitly paying him either. I just said "I'm not sure if he's paying the guy or giving him a lease discount or what, but the landlord said there was some sort of agreement in which he is responsible for doing so."

I thinkk what I'm going to do is just wait and see how long the garbage piles up before someone else satrts complaining or if the landlord notices whenever he comes by.

I'm not 100% sure of Pittsburgh's ordinances, but like the other poster said before, since it is a bigger city they may have bigger fish to fry, but also worth trying.

Thank your for the advice.

Garlic and orange juice helps with sinuses BTW
It's all a question of semantics. You were told by the LL that the neighbor was responsible for taking the trash cans to the curb. Whether or not he's paid to do so or gets a rent reduction to do so isn't relevant. If he's not taking your garbage out but is taking everyone else's out then this is something you should address in writing to the LL. It's really not that big of a deal. You were told by the LL that your garbage would be taken out so, since it's not, don't play games and leave it there stinking, just contact the LL and let him know.

As far as general noise goes, pick your battles carefully.

Oh, and thanks for the sinus remedy but I was being facetious. British humo(u)r often goes by the wayside. The red which Kim chose for her response was just a little too much for me and rather designated ANGER! Just me, sorry!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:00 AM

Oh, and thanks for the sinus remedy but I was being facetious. British humo(u)r often goes by the wayside. The red which Kim chose for her response was just a little too much for me and rather designated ANGER! Just me, sorry!

Oh, no, not at all and I apologize that it came off that way!

Old 01-05-2011, 05:56 PM

914 posts, read 4,445,518 times
Quote:
He blasts his music constantly (I can't hear my TV when he does this.) I called the landlord and complained about this and the garbage. He said he'd "talk to him about it."

Today I return from a walk. He tells me I was being loud with music. I said to him that I never blast my music or TV and walked away.

Everytime there is a Steeler game on. I can hear him yelling and screaming at his TV and yelling the F word (the gay slur.)
Ugh, I feel for you there. We got new upstairs neighbors in October who played super loud gangsta rap non stop the first week they lived up there. The soundproofing in this building between floors is pretty crappy, so I don't expect silence, but it also makes loud neighbors that much more unbearable. Plus, both my fiance and I are grad students and they moved in the weekend before midterms. We tried to talk to them about it, even told them why we were asking them to turn the music down (for instance, one night when they were loud late was the night before a huge scary midterm of mine) but they pretty much replied that it was their apartment, they could be as loud as they want.

We ended up going to the landlord about their night noise, who was helpful, and the people upstairs have been, well, not great, but better (Turns out they can't be as loud as they want .), but now we get the retaliation. We're relatively quiet, but they get really mad when, say, they hear us vacuuming at 2 in the afternoon. It's like, really? My request for them to turn down their music at midnight the night before my midterm is unreasonable, but they're pissed off that they can hear my vacuum in the middle of the afternoon?

I would agree with STT to pick your battles carefully, though. The people who live above us are just a pair of whiny, selfish kids whose Moms apparently told them everything they do is wonderful. They are lame, but they also don't scare me. Your guy seems pretty creepy. Do keep in mind, though, that what he is doing is technically harassment.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:42 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
First of all the hall issue - in a condo we lived in several of us had to sue the HOA to get one jerk to close his studio door so we didn't all have to smell his filthy a** and see him in his shorts or listen to his TV 100 feet away.

The OP's neighbor is just a jerk. Choices. 1) Get some really big friends and sugges that the guy needs to change his attitude. 2) Complain in writing to the LL, then find a new place to live and move out.

There is a saying, "The more you tolerate, the more you HAVE to tolerate." I choose not to tolerate anything.

OH - and for the poster above - your LL should have a policy that no noise should be heard outside of each unit. Especially if it can be heard inside another unit it is too loud. Period, end of story.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:11 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
The OP's neighbor is just a jerk. Choices. 1) Get some really big friends and sugges that the guy needs to change his attitude. 2) Complain in writing to the LL, then find a new place to live and move out.
You are right. But I'm not moving. I just moved there and I will not move again (I hate moving.) Not only that, I like the area. It is in a nice, clean neighborhood and it is convenient for me. I am not moving just because of one bad apple.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:05 AM

Quote:
You are right. But I'm not moving. I just moved there and I will not move again (I hate moving.) Not only that, I like the area. It is in a nice, clean neighborhood and it is convenient for me. I am not moving just because of one bad apple.

And you shouldn't. Just keep trying to work this out with the landlord.

What does your lease say about inside noise? Mine is very clear about inside noise should not be heard in the hallways, or other apartments. Open windows present a challenge but the office sent a letter to everyone reminding them to be mindful of the volume of their music, tv and or talking on the patios. They were also very clear that excessive noise would not be tolerated.

Good luck to ya

Old 01-07-2011, 09:40 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
There is one more option. Buy a really big sub-woofer stereo, hook it to a battery and inverter (so they can't turn off the breaker). Turn it up until the building shakes - then take a trip for the weekend.

When you return let the other tenants know that so long as they stay quiet, you will stay quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting