Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:35 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8tedm3 View Post
i stated she will not get security back and she said that was fine.
Have you seen the inside of the house yet?

And get everything in writing. If you don't follow the rules she still may be able to come after you for the deposit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
Have her put it in writing that she expects the oil to come out of the security deposit in addition to the damages for the garage and to the apt.

Get pictures of everything right now (taken by your friend is fine - it gives you another witness for small claims court if necessary). Have your friend do a walk-through with the tenant, put everything in writing.

IN WRITING. Signed by your friend AND the tenant, together on the same piece of paper - dated. Pictures.

DO get a police report of the damage from the U-haul vehicle - there IS insurance to cover it.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:44 PM

914 posts, read 4,444,930 times
To me it almost sounds like she's decided to let the security deposit be used for the oil because she knows there is other damage as well (like the UHaul damage). She probably figures she isn't going to get her security deposit back anyway because of the damages, so why bother paying to replace the oil? Getting money out of someone after they move out can be rough, even if you do sue them. It could be she is hoping you won't bother with the legal proceedings and just be happy with her deposit. You may want to make clear to her that you intend to collect on all outstanding debts if costs exceed her deposit.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 435 times
I have moved out of my apartment and while living there I broke the stove top so I had it replaced but it was not a digital model but everything else was the same can she tell me it's not good enough?

Old 01-26-2013, 11:47 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshelbon23 View Post
I have moved out of my apartment and while living there I broke the stove top so I had it replaced but it was not a digital model but everything else was the same can she tell me it's not good enough?
If she was really picky I suppose she could. You should have consulted with her before you replaced it.

And just for the future, best not to tag onto an old thread with an unrelated issue. Start a new thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting