Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:50 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,480,871 times

Advertisements

That means they qualify for government assistance and payments are made by the government...I think.

I am surprised because it is a beautiful home. Didn't rent in Nov or Dec because one applicant fell through (death in family) and they are tough months to find renters in.

The home is in S Florida. Everybody who visits it really likes it. I hope to spend winters there a long time from now.

I just had it renovated and fear that it will get torn up. That is often the reputation of poor renters with several kids........

I am new to the landlord business. I was always a great tenant so I've not dealt with the nightmares I have heard of.

I have not signed the three page agreement yet.

Advice and comments and experience are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 01:13 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,161,124 times
If you are going to consider doing this make sure you check out the tenant just as thoroughly (if not more so) as you would any other prospective tenant, even though you won't have to worry about getting the rent payments (at least the portion that the government pays). The townhouse attached to mine is rented to a Section 8 tenant, and this person has single-handedly brought down the property values in the neighborhood. She does not maintain the yard, never mows the grass or shovels snow, has piles of trash and junk in the backyard, the window blinds and screens are torn and hanging off the house, and both I and the neighbor on the other side have had to hire exterminators for an insect infestation. And before anyone says that I can't blame her for the roaches let me add that I lived here for over 12 years before she moved in and never saw one critter until the month she arrived.

She also set the kitchen on fire (carelessness - left food cooking on the stove) and that caused a lot of damage to her house (thank goodness it didn't spread to mine). The landlord had work crews over there for several months, and some of the workers told my neighbors and me that the condition of the interior of the house was disgusting. And this had nothing to do with the fire; it was just filthy.

Also, her utilities are always being shut off due to non-payment. Last winter she was running a gasoline powered generator from her back deck, which is literally a few feet from my back door, until the fire department showed up and made her stop using it.

Having said this, I recognize that not all Section 8 tenants are the renters from hell. I just think sometimes the landlords don't worry about checking with prior landlords since they are assured of getting their rent money on time. But to me, making sure the tenant takes good care of the property is just as important. After all, it's your investment.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:13 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,106 times
I personally wouldn't take the chance, plus i'm sure you might become the most disliked person on the block if you do so. Otherwise maybe flag a mod and move this question to the real estate forum.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I personally wouldn't take the chance, plus i'm sure you might become the most disliked person on the block if you do so. Otherwise maybe flag a mod and move this question to the real estate forum.
***Mod***

....can we please move this to the real estate forum? Thanks!

Old 01-10-2011, 01:50 PM

It is in Lehigh Acres...next to Ft Myers. Tough time to be a choosy rentor as many folks are not paying the rent. I don't have to rent it right now though....the wolf is not at the door.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:41 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
Do a search on "Section 8" in the real estate forums here and you will find your answer.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:25 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Ow ow ow ow ow ow.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:56 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
That means they qualify for government assistance and payments are made by the government...I think.

I am surprised because it is a beautiful home. Didn't rent in Nov or Dec because one applicant fell through (death in family) and they are tough months to find renters in.

The home is in S Florida. Everybody who visits it really likes it. I hope to spend winters there a long time from now.

I just had it renovated and fear that it will get torn up. That is often the reputation of poor renters with several kids........

I am new to the landlord business. I was always a great tenant so I've not dealt with the nightmares I have heard of.

I have not signed the three page agreement yet.

Advice and comments and experience are welcome.
1. Put down your broad brush. Not all poor families (or even most) ruin homes.

2. DO A BACKGROUND CHECK.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Then I guess John Adams should be ethical and keep his trap shut about his tenant's financial disposition.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Do a search on "Section 8" in the real estate forums here and you will find your answer.
Conventional wisdom is hardly ever wise.

I was a Section 8 renter for 3 years. My landlord is still a reference when I need one for any reason.

Please do not put Section 8 recipients all in the same basket. Lord knows we wouldn't want judgy suburbanites to all be judged the same, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting