Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:32 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
I did not see were you said your tenant complained why change it they might think its fine.
A carpet lasting 8-10 years in a rental is a 1 in a million shot and that web site is not even close on most things.
I'm replacing the linoleum it because its not up to my standards. I try to keep my property in a condition that I would be comfortable living with. If I want my tenant to respect the property, I need to set that example. If they obviously don't respect the property their lease will be canceled. This is probably why my tenants have stayed so long.

I agree, cheap carpet, the kind that is installed in most rentals, won't last 8-10 years, but good quality will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 996 times
Would anyone have the guts to tell a tenant who is month to month that the landlord is raising the rents to almost market rents but offers to renovate the home from paint, carpet and a few updates in kitchen and bath. Raising between $75-175 a month. Especially when rent is $100-200 under market rent

Old 03-14-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwesternlp View Post
Would anyone have the guts to tell a tenant who is month to month that the landlord is raising the rents to almost market rents but offers to renovate the home from paint, carpet and a few updates in kitchen and bath. Raising between $75-175 a month. Especially when rent is $100-200 under market rent
"Would anyone have the guts"... sure why not?

Old 03-14-2014, 11:14 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwesternlp View Post
Why not? I suspect that the tenant will move out, which makes renovation much easier.

However, if the new rent is still under market, the tenant might find that they are better off staying. Chances are that they will be resentful, so my preference would have been to simply ask them to leave before I did renovations.

I do not do new paint, new carpet, and kitchen upgrades unless the tenant is absolutely sterling perfect with both payment and care of the property, and I would never do all of those improvements at the same time. But guts? It is my property and I will raise rent and renovate if I decide to do so.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:21 PM

254 posts, read 406,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Other than fry cooking too much.
I knew it would come to this one day. Now renters can't even cook in their own homes. Maybe instead of the carpet you should install an oven hood??

Old 03-16-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesefourwalls View Post
I knew it would come to this one day. Now renters can't even cook in their own homes. Maybe instead of the carpet you should install an oven hood??
You can cook whatever you want as long as you clean up after yourself.

The stove has always had an exhaust hood over it, and I replaced it last year with a newer larger exhaust hood. Unfortunatly, either the tenant isn't turning the hood on when cooking or their cooking is generating an unusually large amount of grease. This house was our home for 20 years before we started renting it out and we never had problems with grease accumulating on the cabinets and walls they way we are seeing it with these tenants. It is their responsibility to properly clean the place and we will charge their security deposit to have it professionally done if they do not do so.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:41 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,716 times
Your replacing the linoleum because its not up to my standards is it up to your tenants standards thats what counts.
I have had 3-4 tenants in place for over 10 years the longest 14 years. None of them live to my standards and it is not my place to dictate how someone lives. From the way you have posted you are not a landlord full time, let it go you do not live there if the tenant is happy thats what counts. So they have cooking grease charge them when they move out who cares why insult them by saying something.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Your replacing the linoleum because its not up to my standards is it up to your tenants standards thats what counts. I have had 3-4 tenants in place for over 10 years the longest 14 years. None of them live to my standards and it is not my place to dictate how someone lives. From the way you have posted you are not a landlord full time, let it go you do not live there if the tenant is happy thats what counts. So they have cooking grease charge them when they move out who cares why insult them by saying something.
No, I am not replacing the linoleum because its not up to your standards. What an absurd assumption to make. Clearly it is difficult for you to comprehend what I wrote, just as it is difficult for you to communicate in an intelligent and grammatically correct manner. I'm probably wasting my time trying to respond to such an illiterate post, but will do so anyway.

I'm sorry but I refuse to subscribe to your slumlord mentality, of never fixing anything unless someone complains. As a responsible landlord I believe that my tenants deserve to have things replaced when they wear out. It is extremely greedy to ignore problems and refuse to replace things that are obviously worn out, just because no one has complained yet. Clearly you feel no such obligation to your tenants, many slumlords feel the same way.

I have had this tenant in place for over 10 years and have never dictated anything in regard to how they live, or ever communicated with them in a way that was insulting to them. What a stupid assumption for you to make. My tenants are very happy about living in my property, because I care about the place and their satisfaction. That is the kind of landlord I choose to be.

I do feel that if a landlord notices something the tenant is doing or not doing that could result in a huge expense to them down the road, the landlord has an obligation to point that out to them. Giving them a chance to save themselves that expense, rather then stay silent, greedily conniving to hit them later with a huge charge down the road. If you can't understand that point of view, then I pity you and your tenants.

Last edited by CptnRn; 03-16-2014 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: to err is human

Old 03-16-2014, 04:36 PM

254 posts, read 406,140 times
Uh......two different people. I was the one who made the comment about the exhaust hood. I think its very nice of you to be concerned about replacing the flooring because you are right, many landlords will let a property go for 6-10 or more years. I was simply commenting on the fact that now even what a renter cooks is under scutiny. That's all.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:33 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
No, I am not replacing the linoleum because its not up to your standards. What an absurd assumption to make. Clearly it is difficult for you to comprehend what I wrote, just as it is difficult for you to communicate in an intelligent and grammatically correct manner. I'm probably wasting my time trying to respond to such an illiterate post, but will do so anyway.

I'm sorry but I refuse to subscribe to your slumlord mentality, of never fixing anything unless someone complains. As a responsible landlord I believe that my tenants deserve to have things replaced when they wear out. It is extremely greedy to ignore problems and refuse to replace things that are obviously worn out, just because no one has complained yet. Clearly you feel no such obligation to your tenants, many slumlords feel the same way.

I have had this tenant in place for over 10 years and have never dictated anything in regard to how they live, or ever communicated with them in a way that was insulting to them. What a stupid assumption for you to make. My tenants are very happy about living in my property, because I care about the place and their satisfaction. That is the kind of landlord I choose to be.

I do feel that if a landlord notices something the tenant is doing or not doing that could result in a huge expense to them down the road, the landlord has an obligation to point that out to them. Giving them a chance to save themselves that expense, rather then stay silent, greedily conniving to hit them later with a huge charge down the road. If you can't understand that point of view, then I pity you and your tenants.
I agree with keeping a place up I do the same. Nice how you attack someone that you do not agree with. You said "I'm replacing the linoleum it because its not up to my standards" nice and grammatically correct.get of your high horse and I hope you treat your tenants better. I will say if I am a slumlord and if the house in your profile is were you live you could be my tenant, a dozen times over.

Last edited by tworent; 03-16-2014 at 07:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting