Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:18 PM

5 posts, read 11,958 times

Advertisements

I need help trying to get out of my lease. I currently live with my landlord (I know worst move ever ) and one other tenant. We had a verbal agreement that he would cover most of the utilities cause of the poor quality of insulation in the house. Now hes coming at both of us saying we have to pay 10% more now on utilities. Heres another thing, all utilities are in his name so I think I can just screw him over on that. Im trying to get out of this house ASAP. I also noticed my lease was never notarized and Ive been told it makes it pretty much worthless. If I give him a 30 day notice that Im moving out there isnt much he can do besides hit me in small claims court for the last 2 months in rent? I could use some feedback on this to make sure Im not missing any steps or if someone out there knows more about this it would help out a lot!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 12:43 PM

912 posts, read 5,263,089 times
I don't think your lease has to be notarized to be in effect. If you both signed it, and its not full of illegal clauses, then it will stand in court as a contract.

Its always better to not leave in bad-blood. Have you tried talking with your landlord about your need to move out asap??

If the utilities are not mentioned in the lease, and you never signed for it, then should not be liable for them.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:03 PM

Trust me theres no talking to this meat head. When I try he acts tough and tries to threaten me. Utilities are on the lease agreement. What gets me is he uses just as much power and heat but feels the need to pay less on utilities just because he is the landlord. Hes just a dirt bag

Old 03-07-2011, 01:06 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
What exactly does it say in the lease about utilities? Whatever is says is what you should be paying.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:17 PM

It says the Lessee is responsible for all utilities. Which I noticed after he raised the amount I pay. They are all in his name so hes responsible for them I think

Old 03-07-2011, 01:26 PM

912 posts, read 5,263,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjspecial View Post
It says the Lessee is responsible for all utilities.
That's it. End of story.

You are the "Lessee". You signed and agreed to pay "all utilities". That's what you are liable for.

Sorry.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
It says the Lessee is responsible for all utilities. Which I noticed after he raised the amount I pay. They are all in his name so hes responsible for them I think
So you aren't paying all the utilities right now? Sounds like you are getting a break considering what is in the lease.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:43 PM

Nope but we had an agreement at the beginning of the year Id pay 25% now hes changing it. I should of made sure it was in the lease. Last time I trust someone Ive known for 13 years. Just sucks hes going back on his word. Im trying to figure a way out of paying these utilities for the remaining lease, seeing as there in his name its not my problem especially if I move out and Im not using any resources.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Nope but we had an agreement at the beginning of the year Id pay 25% now hes changing it. I should of made sure it was in the lease. Last time I trust someone Ive known for 13 years. Just sucks hes going back on his word. Im trying to figure a way out of paying these utilities for the remaining lease, seeing as there in his name its not my problem especially if I move out and Im not using any resources.
I don't think "not my problem" means what you think it means.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:53 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,486,679 times
Agreed that leases do not need to be notarized, unless the lease says something like "invalid unless notarized".

If the lease says you pay utilities, and you signed that, and the agreement that the landlord would pay them is verbal only, you will have a problem if that gets to court.

So yes, the landlord could take you to court for 2 months unpaid rent, utilities, late fees, court costs, attorney fees, etc. In my experience, on rent in the ballpark of $800/month, that adds up to about $4000 or so dollars. (Yes, really)

You said you have 2 months left on the lease. I assume that means through April 30th. If your lease is by the calendar month like ours is, then notice given today would be for April 30th anyway, so you would be liable for rent through then. If you meant 2 months after your 30 days, then there is 1 month in question, and you will have to work that out with the landlord.

My suggestion is to try for a buy out settlement. Agree (in writing) that you will pay xx amount total and be out on such and such date, and be released from future obligations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting