Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 12:00 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandre2 View Post
Am I asking too much? I'm renting a house not an apartment, for that reason.
In my opinion you're way overreacting. It makes no difference that it's a house over an apartment - it's a rental, not your property and the owners can do an inspection whenever they please as long as they give the required notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandre2 View Post
I also have read online that they would need a reason, like to fix up the property, or repairs or to sell to potential buyers, when I asked for what reason, he said no reason at all? C'mon! I think thats an invasion of privacy and like i said i'm sitting here next to my lease and its so generic says its from the apartment association when this is a house and nowhere does it says they have right to enter for anything, that's not even mentioned on this lease as you think it would have, so when i signed my lease i thought id have privacy. Apparently not. MY QUESTION IS THIS LEGAL FOR THEM TO JUST TELL ME THEY WANT TO DO AN INSPECTION FOR NO REASON AT ALL, WHICH I DO INVITE MY LANDLORD IN AS HE COMES EVERY FIRST OF THE MONTH, BUT SAYS OWNER IS IN TOWN AND WANTS TO COME ALONG AS HE DOES AN INSPECTION, I THINK HES JUST TRYING TO LOOK GOOD FOR HER, SHES AN ELDERLY LADY. FEELING INTRUDED ON.
You need to simmer down and stop shouting. You are being totally irrational and your knowledge of basic landlord tenant law is sadly lacking. No, a landlord/owner needs no reason to make an inspection of a rental property, nor do they need permission to do so..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 12:07 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreana View Post
Oh, of course, you are an OWNER. You can come in anytime for an unspecified reason so long as you give alittle notice, and that isn't a violation of civil right to privacy?! Of course not, cause you are an OWNER. Never mind that you are being paid for the use of the place. The landlord/tenant transaction is the only business transaction I know of in which the person paying for something has less rights than the person selling. Most sellers strive for customer satisfaction, in this transaction it is the buyer, the payor, who must strive to please the buyer, while allowing loss of rights. People who are renters really need to get together. This will only get worse.
Adreana
Adreana
Let's say in your world, there are no inspections. Is the tenant willing to give a HUGE security deposit in exchange for their privacy?

The landlord is protecting their property. They're not snooping through their tenants stuff.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:19 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
Even better, would you, as a tenant, trade a few minutes of your privacy in exchange for all of the bills associated with repairs? Some people have watched way too many TV shows and movies. The truth of the matter is we do not care one bit what you do in the house or apartment (as long as it is not a violation of the lease). Have a house burn down, or an upstairs water heat burst; both of which could have been prevented with routine inspections, and see how you react then.

As I said 2 years ago in this thread, we are not looking through your stuff. We don't care what you have. It's all about protecting an investment. If you're unable, or unwilling, to accept this, you need to buy your own home. Some of us will be along in the Home forum when you come asking if a quote is unreasonable or how to fix something.

Inspections are the nature of the beast, and it ain't gonna change. Deal with it and remain calm or get yourself all wound up. Makes no difference. The landlord is going to inspect. And you should be happy they are being proactive.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:43 PM

32 posts, read 47,472 times
I would never live in a place that had random inspections. I'll rip up the contract and hand it right back over.

I've rented 7 different times. There was NO time EVER that I had a "random" inspections. Almost always, I don't get inspected other than the walk-out after around 2 years average tenancy. My last place had anal landlords who just couldn't leave me alone (requiring that they are the only ones who can replace a furnace filter) but with that said, even they only required inspection once a year walk-through, which is fine by me.

Privacy is very important to many people. We pay money so that YOU PROFIT from it. Good, responsible, proven renters do not need to be invaded randomly, just because "it's your place." Hertz doesn't have agents pull me over in their rental vehicles so that they can "inspect" it while I'm using it. If they did I would take my business elsewhere. I firmly believe If you have ****ty rules, then you will get ****ty tenants.

The answer here is defined in the contract. Read it. When you sign, you agree to what's written. Personally, I feel that there is no problem with once a year inspections, with 48-hour notice. I would never sign a contract that had "random" inspections. Never had a problem with this in the past.

The problem I did have in the post was the last people I've rented who required coming over 10-15 times a year to "adjust the sprinklers" (meaning they need access in the garage) and to come over and walk in the house once a month in order to change the furnace filter (in which they were late on several times). They are good landlords for grandmas and grandpas who can't take care of a house, but they are not good landlords for responsible independent renters, so after a couple years I had enough.

Spank, it's not a "few minutes" of your time. Inspections require 1-3 hours (depending on your lifestyle) to clean the house, make plans, break plans, in order for an inspection. I don't disagree with you, but I think responsible renters see this as an annoyance, but once a year should be expected by every renter.

I just bought a house, so my landlord is going to walkthrough the current house to see it after 2 years. I've since patched holes in the walls (which were there when I moved in), replaced outdated bathroom fixtures (on their dime), rechaulked the bathrooms, and have done many other improvements (which he knows of). Renters like me is what landlords crave, and he respected my privacy, and didn't increase my rent based on my good standing. It was easy, care-free money from him every month while is house got improved. I also improved the yard (removed all dry spots) and now his grass is lush and green. Not all tenants are like me though...

Last edited by kawahonda; 03-19-2015 at 02:03 PM..

Old 03-19-2015, 02:46 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,839,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawahonda View Post
I would never live in a place that had random inspections. I'll rip up the contract and hand it right back over.

I've rented 7 different times. There was NO time EVER that I had a "random" inspections. Almost always, I don't get inspected other than the walk-out after around 2 years average tenancy. My last place had anal landlords who just couldn't leave me alone (requiring that they are the only ones who can replace a furnace filter) but with that said, even they only required inspection once a year walk-through, which is fine by me.

Privacy is very important to many people. We pay money so that YOU PROFIT from it. Good, responsible, proven renters do not need to be invaded randomly, just because "it's your place." Hertz doesn't have agents pull me over in their rental vehicles so that they can "inspect" it while I'm using it. If they did I would take my business elsewhere. I firmly believe If you have ****ty rules, then you will get ****ty tenants.

The answer here is defined in the contract. Read it. When you sign, you agree to what's written. Personally, I feel that there is no problem with once a year inspections, with 48-hour notice. I would never sign a contract that had "random" inspections. Never had a problem with this in the past.

The problem I did have in the post was the last people I've rented who required coming over 10-15 times a year to "adjust the sprinklers" (meaning they need access in the garage) and to come over and walk in the house once a month in order to change the furnace filter (in which they were late on several times). They are good landlords for grandmas and grandpas who can't take care of a house, but they are not good landlords for responsible independent renters, so after a couple years I had enough.

Spank, it's not a "few minutes" of your time. Inspections require 1-3 hours (depending on your lifestyle) to clean the house, make plans, break plans, in order for an inspection. I don't disagree with you, but I think responsible renters see this as an annoyance, but once a year should be expected by every renter.

I just bought a house, so my landlord is going to walkthrough the current house to see it after 2 years. I've since patched holes in the walls (which were there when I moved in), replaced outdated bathroom fixtures (on their dime), rechaulked the bathrooms, and have done many other improvements (which he knows of). Renters like me is what landlords crave, and he respected my privacy, and didn't increase my rent based on my good standing. It was easy, care-free money from him every month while is house got improved. I also improved the yard (removed all dry spots) and now his grass is lush and green. Not all tenants are like me though...
In most states, the landlord can do inspections with a 24 hour notice. This does not need to be written into the lease since it is state law.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I would never live in a place that had random inspections. I'll rip up the contract and hand it right back over.)
What's "random" about this inspection? The OP was given notice, the owner is in town and wants to see his/her property. Nothing "random" at all.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:06 PM

I agree STT, but if I read something in a contract that said "Landlord may enter the premises without notice for any reason" I would never sign that. If it said "Landlord may enter the premises with notice for any reason." I still wouldn't sign it. There needs to be more meat behind "why" they are entering the premises. If it's just to "check up on things" then that's where I disagree on, and that should be once a year. If it they had justifiable reason to believe the tenants were being malicious or that there is damage occurring, then of course they should be able to enter with consent.

The OP isn't grounded in reality, so I'm primarily agreeing with the responses. I'm just saying that there's a middle ground. It should be expected that a walk-through will happen every year. From my experience, if you're a good renter, landlords won't even do it at all but will wait until you move out. But you should still expect it.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I agree STT, but if I read something in a contract that said "Landlord may enter the premises without notice for any reason" I would never sign that. If it said "Landlord may enter the premises with notice for any reason." I still wouldn't sign it.
Any such clause would be contrary to state law which trumps the lease.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:50 PM

While that may be true, you will have unhappy renters unless it's in an emergency.

While entering the premises may be legal in most states WITH CONSENT (important distinction unless an emergency), if it's just for a reason to "inspect the premises" I guarantee that the good tenants will leave at that point, only leaving room for the bad ones to move in...

Old 03-19-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
While that may be true, you will have unhappy renters unless it's in an emergency.

While entering the premises may be legal in most states WITH CONSENT (important distinction unless an emergency), if it's just for a reason to "inspect the premises" I guarantee that the good tenants will leave at that point, only leaving room for the bad ones to move in...
Maybe you should take the time to read state laws. "Consent" is not an issue. "Permission" to inspect in most states is not the issue. Advance notice to enter is mandated in most states but does not extend to "permission: or "consent".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting