Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 06:58 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,794,210 times

Advertisements

Rights And Duties Of Tenants And Landlords

https://www.floridabar.org/tfb/TFBCo...8!OpenDocument
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 10:00 PM

32 posts, read 27,594 times
Landlords is right..There is no need for leaving notice ..Because you didn't sign lease agreement...So just move out before he take some action...

Old 02-16-2016, 10:14 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
If the tenant has a right to sublet (which is what your talking about here), its written in the lease. If you want to take this route legally you have to have it in the lease that you are a legal resident.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:54 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasChickWV View Post
I am living in an apt in Tampa, FL.
I was allowed to move into my friend's apt and split the rent.
She told me the landlord was notified (come to find out, he was not.)
I had money ready for December rent and she was not ready to pay.
On Dec. 30, her (apparently not our) landlord called and asked for the rent.
She informed him that she would be paying for December and January on/near the first.
She also told him that she wanted to leave and let me take over the lease.
Before paying him the Dec. and Jan. rent, we went to his office to fill out my application.
My application was not approved due to creditory issues and a past eviction.
She had her family pay for Dec., Jan., and an extra month to "buy herself out" of the contract and absolve herself from further obligation, to which he accepted.
In her agreement, it says that when she turns in the keys, "all illegal occupants must also vacate the premises"

So even though I paid rents, receive mail, and have been in this unit for longer than 30 days, I now have to vacate whenever she decides to turn in her keys.
It is now Friday Jan. 8th, and she has told me that she plans to be out on Sunday the 10th.
I have talked to the landlord and mentioned my frustrations with my roomate and he said that I am not a legal tenant so I have absolutely no rights whatsoever.
I have asked him to give me until the end of the month, and he said that he doesn't have to agree to anything.
He told me he would prefer me to be out before the last week of January.

I am going to do what I can, but I might need the extra week to find another place to rent.
I really don't want another eviciton on my record but if I have to be served with it because he can't give me the extra week, then I guess I'll haveto deal with it.

I simply want to make sure that if he calls the cops, I can't be made to vacate the premises the second that they get there.
Please Help!
Pack your things. Move into a long term stay hotel until you find something more permanent. Burying your head in the sand is only going to make this worse.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:53 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I don't know what your landlord will do. What I would do would be to issue a 72 hour notice to cure the breach of the rental agreement and if the illegal tenant (that's you, OP) was not out before the 72 hour deadline, I would file for eviction of everyone in the house. That would be you, your roommate, and anyone else who lived in the house. It then takes 7-10 days for the judge to order you out and the sheriff to appear on your doorstep to throw you and your belongings out into the gutter.

At that point, everyone who was named in the eviction order has an eviction on their record and every one of you will have a difficult time finding a new place to live because most landlords don't rent to people with evictions.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 495 times
I moved into a mobile home in pennsylvania which my boyfriend owns. The electric and cable are in my name. I just found out that he is way behind on the lot rent and is being evicted. Can they throw me out too?

Old 05-22-2017, 11:31 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraM37 View Post
I moved into a mobile home in pennsylvania which my boyfriend owns. The electric and cable are in my name. I just found out that he is way behind on the lot rent and is being evicted. Can they throw me out too?
Yes. Why Not? You don't pay the lot rent.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:24 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
You're a squatter. LL still has to evict you, but you'll wind up with an eviction on your record. I don't know how long it will take in Florida. In NYC you could probably spin it out for a year.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:33 PM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
FL ~ I currently have been living since October with a friend of mine. She never had me sign a lease. Home life is toxic due to her mood swings. One housemate is leaving the end of this month as he can no longer take the drama. I've decided to move out & she wants two months notice. I see by FL tenant rights, all I need to give her is 15 days prior to end of month (I pay rent on the first of the month). As today is the 23rd, am I stuck to pay rent for June?

Old 05-23-2017, 02:55 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
...since October with a friend of mine.
I see by FL tenant rights... 15 days ... am I stuck ?
Being stuck is far more about the friendship than the week of rent money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting