Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 04:03 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normajin View Post
Tilli, thank you for fast reply, it really helps. We are good tenants, so I guess LL would keep us, but it seems that they rented the place already. Could they do that while we are still in lease? Are not we entitled to lease renewal after the extension ends? (you are right it was in written). Basicaly, we arenot the type to go to court and would prefer the amicable way of handling situation, but it'sgood to know our rights before the big talk with LL, because hisinitial reply was negative. Specifically, if we are under lease and other people will gettheirholding depositback, and we gave a notice as much in advance as we can.

The LL can lease to other party as long as the lease periods do not overlap. Say your last day is May 31st and the new tenant moves in June 1st. I usually like a little down time to clean or repair. You and your belongings are supposed to be off the premises. The LL has no obligation to extend or renew your lease. Personally I approach my tenants about 45 days before lease is due for renewal or 30 day notice. I just want to know if they wanna stay or go. I just want the info on what their plans are so I can plan on what I need to do on my end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 04:55 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The LL can lease to other party as long as the lease periods do not overlap. Say your last day is May 31st and the new tenant moves in June 1st. I usually like a little down time to clean or repair. You and your belongings are supposed to be off the premises. The LL has no obligation to extend or renew your lease. Personally I approach my tenants about 45 days before lease is due for renewal or 30 day notice. I just want to know if they wanna stay or go. I just want the info on what their plans are so I can plan on what I need to do on my end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgetsmyth View Post
I am living in housing apartment for twenty years and I fell on floor at work and I am now thinking of leaving my job in two weeks. How long will I have to find an apartment. Ths retiring nurse.
Normajin was back in 2011, Bridgetsmyth is the current topic of this thread.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Normajin was back in 2011, Bridgetsmyth is the current topic of this thread.

Dammit I gotta pay more attention to dates

Old 07-05-2014, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,627 times
my land lord sold the building and she did not tell me that at the beginning of the lease and I have tow kids and a new baby coming next few weeks and my lease end at October 13 ,the new owner asked me to leave because he want to live in this building ,can he forced me to leave after my lease end?

Old 07-06-2014, 05:49 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ade3 View Post
my land lord sold the building and she did not tell me that at the beginning of the lease and I have tow kids and a new baby coming next few weeks and my lease end at October 13 ,the new owner asked me to leave because he want to live in this building ,can he forced me to leave after my lease end?
Yes. Once your lease ends your lease ends, regardless of whether the owner is new. The only way your landlord will use "force" is if you ignore the terms of your contract and refuse to leave, in which case an eviction will be filed against you. You'll lose the case and will then have an eviction on your record which will make it difficult in the future to find a landlord willing to rent to you. Tenants can never assume that their lease will be renewed once it's over and at least the new LL has given you an early heads up of his intention not to renew. Good luck!

Old 04-26-2015, 09:49 PM

5 posts, read 8,844 times
What if my tenant refused to move out after the rental lease expired and I already sent out written notice to vacate the house. Do I have to even go to court (which I prefer not to do)? Or can I just call a police for trespassing since the contract/lease has expired? (I live in Philadelphia).

Old 04-27-2015, 03:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by embongmalang View Post
Do I have to even go to court (which I prefer not to do)? Or can I just call a police for trespassing since the contract/lease has expired? (I live in Philadelphia).
Yes you do. You'll find PA's landlord tenant laws linked in the first "sticky" on this forum which will offer you some guidance. The police are unable to help you. You have a holdover tenant and have to evict them legally through the court.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,321 times
I have a land lord (pastor)who rented to me a apt infested of bed bugs I advised him.The next time I advised them another landlord (another pastor)took over and said prior landlord was fired due to embezzlement of the church and rental property and there was no money to pay for exterminator to tent the house.Fine I started to by treatment from the store there still there now in March sewage started to come up from bathroom sink I advised him of that he said call the city I did they said nothing was wrong on there side so the landlord called the plumber it would be fine a day or two and again sewage comes up so I have with held a month and half rent and my lease was up on April 15 2015 on April 20 2015 I got a three day eviction notice.I called them and told them they can court order evict me but I have a three yr old disabled child and I will got to court for this now the woman who works rental property said the land lord said my lease is up and I got 7 days to get out. What can I do and do I have to get out I have no time to look for a apartment in 7 days?

Old 04-27-2015, 03:45 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
With sewage in the apt, I would not want to be staying there. If you do not leave, the landlord will probably begin eviction proceedings against you and that will cause you problems trying to rent somewhere else.

I suggest you contact the city human services agency and ask for help.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:55 AM

32,651 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey_01 View Post
..........I have with held a month and half rent .........but I have a three yr old disabled child..........
Having a three year old disabled child will not prevent the judge from evicting you. Your child is not a free ticket to live without paying. It was not a smart move to stop paying your rent.

Since that is a church owned property, I suggest that you go over there with all that back rent you didn't pay, plus the late fees and filing fees and beg them to stop the eviction.

In most states, if you are being evicted for not paying rent, paying everything you owe, up to date, will stop the eviction.

If the judge grants the eviction, it goes onto your permanent legal record and it will cause you a lot of hardship in the future. The judge will grant the eviction because you stopped paying rent. He's not going to order the landlord to give you a free place to live, your disabled 3-year-old child notwithstanding. Unless the landlord is the father of that child, he doesn't owe the child a place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting