Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 06:55 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,544 times

Advertisements

What a crappy situation, you have my sympathy.

It's not realistic to expect someone to go and ask all of their neighbors whether they smoke before taking an apartment, in this day and age it's the exception rather than the norm that so many residents in one building would smoke. And you don't have to be 'smoke sensitive' to not want to end up smelling like an ashtray, or have to protect your kids from someone else's second hand smoke in your own home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 07:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
It's not realistic to expect someone to go and ask all of their neighbors whether they smoke before taking an apartment, in this day and age it's the exception rather than the norm that so many residents in one building would smoke.
What IS realistic if you're not a smoker (and is perfectly simple to do) is to ask when enquiring about a vacancy whether the complex has smoking rules and, if the building is non-smoking, whether or not there is a lease clause addressing the subject.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:45 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,544 times
It would never occur to me that a building would be non-smoking - as far as I am aware people in most states are still allowed to do what they want in their own homes. I don't know anyone who would ask if their building was non-smoking. I had no idea such a building even existed.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:50 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
It would never occur to me that a building would be non-smoking - as far as I am aware people in most states are still allowed to do what they want in their own homes. I don't know anyone who would ask if their building was non-smoking. I had no idea such a building even existed.
Welcome to the new world! There are many condo complexes which ban smoking throughout the US, and many private landlords likewise have no-smoking clauses in their lease agreements. Nothing unlawful about it.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:01 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Quote:
Even if the property owner does not ban smoking in the complex, there could be local laws regualating smoking.

If you go to some complexes, there are signs stating the complex is smoke free except in designated areas. So no smoking in apartment or anywhere except some spot out back by the dumpster.

When you see a place with a high number of smokers, that could mean that there are many places that prohhibit it so all the smokers tend to rent at that location.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:24 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
It's funny... I'm so used to smoking bans that it amazes me that there are places that still allow smoking indoors

I moved to the US in the early 90s as an 11 year old and in 1990 the city we moved to was the first in the world to ban ALL smoking in indoor public places. Most landlords forbid smoking indoors and most of the apartment complexes I've been to have strict rules on when and where you can smoke.

Everybody gets along pretty well from what I can see..I enjoy being able to enjoy my city without smoke...and I'm a smoker!

Old 07-08-2011, 03:37 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
i feel for you--i rented a duplex that was empty on one side,was told by the landlord it is a no smoking rental(both sides),but did not make sure it was in my lease(first time renter)---8 months later,he moves in barfly,chain smoking friend---no written back up,so now am trying to find non-smoking place in an area(nepa)where smoking reigns supreme and cancer runs amuck in families---move as soon as you can into a single home---my goal once i can find one that i can afford before my asthma kills me

Old 07-08-2011, 04:38 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
All 100 of our houses and plexes are non-smoking. Our application says in bold letters at the very top not to even fill out the application if you (or anyone in your household) are a smoker. So not only is the unit non-smoking, but we don't rent to people who smoke "only outside". If you get caught smoking, it is grounds for immediate eviction.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:00 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
You may have to move to Belmont CA because it is the first city to ban smoking almost everywhere...

Belmont to be first U.S. city to ban all smoking

Old 07-09-2011, 10:17 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
All 100 of our houses and plexes are non-smoking. Our application says in bold letters at the very top not to even fill out the application if you (or anyone in your household) are a smoker. So not only is the unit non-smoking, but we don't rent to people who smoke "only outside". If you get caught smoking, it is grounds for immediate eviction.
this area (northeast pa)NEEDS people like you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting