Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:56 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Seems pretty simple to me. Don't like the rules, don't rent at that particular place.

Your right, I don't like all the rules.

and I wouldn't.................

It is one thing to keep a nice home but time alloted for guests, give me a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 09:34 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Your right, I don't like all the rules.

and I wouldn't.................

It is one thing to keep a nice home but time alloted for guests, give me a break.
Again, it is in there because of the bad behavior of a few. After the first time a landlord gets a party house, they add a similar clause. Otherwise, you get tenants who move in 15 people for their entire lease term, and call them "guests" and the landlord has absolutely no grounds to evict, can't charge extra deposit, and can't raise the rent. It isn't meant to limit the activities of normal people with normal common sense, but to protect the landlord and owner from tenants who think they can do whatever they want.

Sorry you don't like it, but every single clause in my lease is in there because someone did something stupid.

Our lease did used to say just "no smoking in the house", but too many people couldn't and didn't follow that rule, so we had to make it more strict.

Same thing with guests, we didn't use to define a time frame, we just said "no excessive guests", but people took advantage of that as well, because it was too vague. So now it is more specific.

As in many other things in life, the bad behavior of a few ruin it for the majority. We have these rules because "common sense" isn't as common as we would like to think.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:59 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The issue of smoking outside the LL's property isn't being raised here in the context you're attempting to argue about. A property owner doesn't just own the building on the property but owns the property period whether it be large or small, a city lot or several acres. Good grief.
I was responding to the post quoted. I said property not building. I assumed most would be able to tell the difference. I guess I assumed wrong!

Old 07-15-2011, 12:24 PM

24 posts, read 114,685 times
This thread is a real hoot. If only the average tenant had the resources to run full background checks on their potential landlords; I'd just love to hear the stories.

Some of you are downright scary with your complete disregard for privacy rights all in the name of protecting your bottom line.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:30 PM

804 posts, read 2,892,787 times
I google search prospective tenants and look for them on Facebook as well. If I saw them smoking recently I would not rent to them. I would simply tell them sorry we rented it to someone else.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:42 PM

572 posts, read 1,611,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rueben View Post
This thread is a real hoot. If only the average tenant had the resources to run full background checks on their potential landlords; I'd just love to hear the stories.

Some of you are downright scary with your complete disregard for privacy rights all in the name of protecting your bottom line.
Can I rent your car for the day? I promise not to smoke in it, or drive it with muddy shoes on, or run the engine with no oil or leave it parked in a tow away zone while I'm eating lunch.

Running a background check is NOT a violation of someone's privacy rights.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:40 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
why can't a smoker rent a non-smoking apartement ?? , not sure i understand.
r u serious?????

Old 07-16-2011, 01:41 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahunter212 View Post
Just received applications from tenants applying for a non-smoking property who claim to not smoke on their applications.
One is clearly smoking in several facebook photos and even mentions that he smokes too many cigarettes.
How can I handle this without saying that I was checking his facebook?
You handle it by renting to someone else. What's the issue here?

Old 07-16-2011, 01:42 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
I google search prospective tenants and look for them on Facebook as well. If I saw them smoking recently I would not rent to them. I would simply tell them sorry we rented it to someone else.
do you have a similar clone in PA--i desperately need a landlord like yourself!

Old 07-20-2011, 07:30 AM

24 posts, read 114,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Can I rent your car for the day? I promise not to smoke in it, or drive it with muddy shoes on, or run the engine with no oil or leave it parked in a tow away zone while I'm eating lunch.

Running a background check is NOT a violation of someone's privacy rights.
When did I say running a background check is a violation of someone's privacy rights?

It's kind of obvious from reading this thread and others how little the average landlord here seems to care for privacy rights and the spirit of what they represent. Heh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting