Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 12:46 PM

935 posts, read 3,448,226 times

Advertisements

Sorry - just making a joke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 08:55 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
This government in particular is a diastder to the real estate market in general; now they're considering outlawing seller financing, which is preposterous.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:24 PM

466 posts, read 1,062,489 times
The former government was even a bigger disaster and anyway, and maybe they are doing a better job than lots of apartment management companies. What I read there on apartmentratings.com is disgusting often enough. We are renters and it isn't that easy to find decent landlords anyway. And investors have only interest to get money out of the tenant and put little money into the rental to keep it up to date and decent. We were lucky up till know when we were renting houses for private landlords, but we rented twice an apartment and got ripped off. We pay our rent always on time, keep the rental clean, our dog is very well behaved and thank God our last two landlords were great. But now we are looking to relocate and the worries begin again.
I guess it isn't easy to be a landlord in America, but be a renter is not easy either.
If the government would get decent management companies for the foreclosed houses to be rentals, maybe the rental market would get better too. I think that idea is better than let tons of houses be sitting empty.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:30 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
It is a bad idea. They will probably rent to people that receive rental assistance and destroy the neighborhood. I would rather they price it low and let some hardworking modest earner buy it.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:15 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
As long as the govt adhere to the same rules and codes as they expect private LLs to, why not? Hardy har har.

Seriously I would send the fire marshal in to inspect them and if they are not up to code, give them the laundry list of things that need to be repaired or replaced before they can be rented. It irks me no end that our local post office has deteriorating paint literally falling off the frame from the front doors on the exterior. And the guards, railings? What guards, railings! I guess since it's not a rental unit that the Fed is allowed to let the building fall apart and not meet current building code.

Maybe in wealthier regions the foreclosed houses would be fine, but there is no doubt in my mind that if someone in my neck of the woods let their home get foreclosed on, they also did not perform derferred maintenence (read - they let it slowly fall apart). I see houses with caution tape in the front yard and tarps over what is left of the rooves. I strongly suspect that the ones that look ok on the outside have deficiencies on the inside.

Sure since the Fed mandates that we ladnlard

Old 09-18-2011, 10:36 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Of course I'd much rather see those homes go to homeowners, who are grateful to get an affordable home, and plan to stay there long term and love the house, and improve the neighborhood. But it's not at all uncommon for investors to snap up foreclosed homes, and turn them into rentals. So why not the government as the investor/owner? And maybe... they will let the renters buy the house at some point?

What if a renter wants to stay there long term and love the house and improve the neighborhood?

Perhaps this is something government CAN do better than the private sector. I'd love to be able to buy the house at some point but I know I'll never get that opportunity from an investor - all I'll get are rent hikes and displacement.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:46 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What if a renter wants to stay there long term and love the house and improve the neighborhood?

Perhaps this is something government CAN do better than the private sector. I'd love to be able to buy the house at some point but I know I'll never get that opportunity from an investor - all I'll get are rent hikes and displacement.
Some how that investor found a way to buy his first property are we that much smarter then you

Old 09-18-2011, 11:00 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
It is a bad idea. They will probably rent to people that receive rental assistance and destroy the neighborhood. I would rather they price it low and let some hardworking modest earner buy it.
What my concern is that this will be another government run disaster and if HUD homes and Sect. 8 are any example of how the gov will handle these millions of rentals, then yes the homes will fall into the slum catagory in short order.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:12 AM

bb
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post

Dirty little secret of public housing:

It used to be a decent place for working class families to live. This is because public housing once had MINIMUM income requirements which kept out the welfare class. In the '60s a "welfare rights" movement pressured Congress into eliminating these minimum income requirements, which opened the floodgates to the entitlement class, leading to working class flight and the wholesale takeover of public housing by the welfare class.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Some how that investor found a way to buy his first property are we that much smarter then you

Absolutely not, but you ARE much better supplied with cash and credit than I.

Back in 2007, after a couple years of my phone ringing off the hook (mortgage telemarketers) I took up a telemarketer on his claim that even I could get a mortgage. (That still seems to be the popular conception, that anyone who could fog a mirror could have gotten a mortgage in 2006-2007.)

Well he was wrong and I was right, so I don't see any way to buy a first property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting