Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 11:42 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times

Advertisements

I can't find an answer and it's Friday so a lawyer is almost impossible to find.
Problem: An apartment has had serious water damage from a broken pipe. The bathroom is full of a ceiling that fell and I need to take it completely down, water is dripping from the broken pipe, the bathroom is unuseable. The tenant refuses to leave.
How do I get the tenant out? She is adament that she can deal with it. I cannot be working there with a crew and a 5 year old in the apartment. No useable bathroom and it will take a few days to repair.
I do not have another vacancy she can move into.
I told her I will not and cannot fix it until she is gone. I gave her numbers of other apartments that have vacancies. I told her she would get her deposit back. I will even refund the reminader of this month's rent...she will not budge.
What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 12:15 PM

912 posts, read 5,261,323 times
I think the ethical and probably.... legal way to resolve this would be for you to pay for her and her kid to stay at a hotel while repairs are taking place.

Unless you just want to get rid of these tenants. In which case, this is not the right way to do it.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:16 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Have you considered that she may have no place to go? Have you offered to pay for an extended stay motel, have you offered to HELP her find another place? And what about the moving costs? You now want her to put in the energy to repack (buying more boxes $$), spending every moment packing up just so you can have the luxury of repairing at your leisure/convenience? How rude.

You rented, get the danged thing fixed or offer to pay ALL her expenses including finding an apt last minute, right before school starts (same school district)

Old 08-19-2011, 01:04 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
This is surely an uninhabitability issue and I'm not sure why she won't leave while you fix the problem but agree wholeheartedly that you should insist she leave immediately and both find for her and PAY FOR HER TO STAY IN a motel for the few days you say you need for the fix. Hope that helps!

Old 08-19-2011, 02:22 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I do not have another vacancy she can move into. tough
I told her I will not and cannot fix it until she is gone. reasonable
What would you do?
which of these locations is closer
13598 N IH 35, Live Oak -

6922 N I-35, San Antonio

www.valueplace.com -

Old 08-19-2011, 04:34 PM

819 posts, read 3,208,407 times
If it's only going to take a few days, why do you want her to find another apartment? I agree with the others, you should offer to put her up in a motel until the issue is fixed.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:05 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Find a cheap motel for $300/wk. and hire a contractor. $2000 and a week later it will be done right and you can sleep at night. You may even be able to claim it all on your insurance since this was caused by a water main break. Make sure you take pictures before the repaires are done.

If she is super bull headed and won't even stay in a free hotel, you may have legal grounds to evict her in a 3 day imminent danger statute in your state. Basically she is preventing you/your contractor from doing the repairs because she is living there and therefor threatening the health and living conditions of other tenants.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:30 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
She has a kid starting kindergarten any day now, I don't blame her for not wanting to move.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:51 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times
I noticed the OP answered a question on another thread but did not update us on this one. I'm curious about what happened.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:55 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Whats the Problem! When my Bosses apt ceiling fell in Kitchen & Bath My boss stayed & the repairs were done while she was home. She H/C! I had the joy of Cleaning up the mess when they were done. Yecky mess of Water & Bird Sh*t YECK!! I think you are looking for an excuse to get rid of her. We are NOT getting the Full Story!! You do realise SHE can call the Health Dept on you??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting