Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:01 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,389 times

Advertisements

My rent is always due on the 8th of every month. I am never late paying my rent. but some stuff came up and i have to pay rent on the 16th. Now my landlord never cashes my checks on time anyways. I looked at my bank statements and here r the dates those checks were presented. apr 22 may 17, june 20 july 15 ,aug 31. so what should i do? write a check for 950 and take a chance that she doesnt cash it till late again? Should i write a check for half the amount and write a note saying ill pay the other half on the 16th w/ a late fee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 10:10 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
How do i tell my landlord im gonna be late with the rent?
The same way you would tell him that the roof was leaking.
Promptly and by the means he has provided and asked be used.
(phone? email? in person?) Emphasis on the promptly though.

As to the rest of the tragic opera you were going on about...
wait and see what he says and go from there.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:15 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,202 times
When your LL has cashed previous checks is irrelevant.

Writing a check that you know won't be honored if cash is not a good idea.

Your LL will get charged a fee of around $25 and so will you. That is potentially $50 out the window.

My suggestion is to be open about your situation - call or write and explain why you are having problems, state that you will catch up on the 16th and pay a late fee. (This is assuming that late fees are even legal in the state you are in). If you keep your word, your LL will probably be fine with it.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:42 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,407,453 times
Wink Good morning...

Just tell him what you told us...'noticed you don't mind cashing my checks a bit late...well, here's another one'...just kidding. Be honest and upfront w/him. I'm sure things will be ok...actually, a bit of humor might help abit.
Koale

Old 09-05-2011, 07:28 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
As long as you tell the LL ahead of time and take the knocks that come with it, it will be easier. Do not take a chance on the LL waiting to cash it. The LL may need the money this month and will be at the bank on the 9th.
As said earlier, you tell the LL about the leaky roof or broken whatever immediatly. Do the same with the late rent.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:40 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Call the landlord (take careful note of day and time) and without identifying yourself mumble something like.... "fristenhammer tomcast wrenholder free cable?"

Whatever she says just say "ok, thanks" and then hang up.

Later when she asks for your rent, remind her of the day and time of your call and that you asked if it was ok to be a little late with the rent this month and you thought she was cool with that. That should tide you over until you can pay her but you probably won't be able to use that excuse again for awhile, if ever again.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:13 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
My rent is always due on the 8th of every month. I am never late paying my rent. but some stuff came up and i have to pay rent on the 16th. Now my landlord never cashes my checks on time anyways. I looked at my bank statements and here r the dates those checks were presented. apr 22 may 17, june 20 july 15 ,aug 31. so what should i do? write a check for 950 and take a chance that she doesnt cash it till late again? Should i write a check for half the amount and write a note saying ill pay the other half on the 16th w/ a late fee?
Don't take the chance that they won't cash it until later. Just be up front about it and tell them that you take pride in paying your bills on time but this month, some things have happened. Give them what you can and let them know when you will pay the rest. And pay the rest when you say you will. You will probably be hit with a late fee...depends on the landlord. Some let it slide if you're not a habitual late payer.

Just be honest.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:46 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
One added thing is when you call, make sure the reason is and immediate, extrodinary, unplanned or emergency reason. If you came across a sale at the store and you spent the money on a descretionary spending, don;t expect much from the LL. But if you had an emergency issue, you have better luck with the LL.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:35 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
You could try what my tenant did and it worked for him, tho I do suspect the situation is the same. He called me on the day the check was due (the 1st of the month) and said "OMG, Squirl.....just noticed the stamped envelope sitting on my desk....I forgot to mail it!......do you need me to drive it over or can I just put it in the mail? Do I need to tear it up and write it out with a late fee?" And, because he had never been late before I said of course just send it. I'll give you a free pass this time. It arrived a week later. Hasn't happened since. I give every tenant one free pass on being late, but never tell them until it happens and then I just say "this one time, if it happens again we'll have to enforce the lease terms about late payments".......

Old 09-07-2011, 08:48 AM

819 posts, read 3,207,460 times
Check your state laws. I know for NJ, there is a 5 business day grace period. So even though my lease would say it was due on the first, I had 5 days. Loved the look on my LLs face when I told them that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting