Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,424 times

Advertisements

back in 2009 i looked at town houses 4beds 4 baths 3 levels there was not any vacant so me my husdand and 2 daughters moved into a hotel for 4 months they finally had one vacant. heres the problem they told us we had security gates, a pool, and security on-site. once we moved in found out that the gates are broken the health department shut the pool down and security is for hoa since part of the community is home owners. now it rained 2 months after we moved in and the whole garage flooded, and the unit settles so much the crackes are all the way across the top ceiling door jams and we are getting trapped in our rooms cause of settling over night. the management company has known about this since i moved in, i have repeated ask to move me to a new unit. back in november i was told that they will be resolving this issuse with the garage flooding. and after i renewed my lease they told me its hoa issue and theres nothing they can do. but they finally agreed to move back in april and i have yet heard from them and my garage is flooded right now. i need to know if this is rental fraud or were my rights as a tenant violated or if i even have a case. oh and by the way i havent paid rent last month or this month they wont serve me a 5 day notice so i can take this to court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 01:55 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
and YET......you renewed your lease and joined CD to make a whining first post.....

Old 09-14-2011, 07:07 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
and YET......you renewed your lease and joined CD to make a whining first post.....

:thi nk:

Old 09-14-2011, 04:23 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Get to know them. //www.city-data.com/forum/renti...nant-laws.html

Old 09-14-2011, 06:30 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDWilliams View Post
back in 2009 i looked at town houses 4beds 4 baths 3 levels there was not any vacant so me my husdand and 2 daughters moved into a hotel for 4 months they finally had one vacant. heres the problem they told us we had security gates, a pool, and security on-site. once we moved in found out that the gates are broken the health department shut the pool down and security is for hoa since part of the community is home owners. now it rained 2 months after we moved in and the whole garage flooded, and the unit settles so much the crackes are all the way across the top ceiling door jams and we are getting trapped in our rooms cause of settling over night. the management company has known about this since i moved in, i have repeated ask to move me to a new unit. back in november i was told that they will be resolving this issuse with the garage flooding. and after i renewed my lease they told me its hoa issue and theres nothing they can do. but they finally agreed to move back in april and i have yet heard from them and my garage is flooded right now. i need to know if this is rental fraud or were my rights as a tenant violated or if i even have a case. oh and by the way i havent paid rent last month or this month they wont serve me a 5 day notice so i can take this to court.
Why did you renew your lease?....Some people are helpless!!!

Old 09-14-2011, 06:34 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
My mistake. I moved this thread from the Nevada forum because I initially thought it was a generic inquiry. However, it is state specific as CptnRn has pointed out.

So, instead of now moving it back to Nevada, I'll add a link to the Nevada statutes for the OP. However, everyone should feel free to give general advice to the OP on his/her situation. Thanks.

Tenant Rights, Laws and Protections: Nevada

NRS: CHAPTER 118A - LANDLORD AND TENANT: DWELLINGS

Old 09-14-2011, 09:36 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
My mistake. I moved this thread from the Nevada forum because I initially thought it was a generic inquiry. However, it is state specific as CptnRn has pointed out.
Every issue in some ways is state specific when dealing with leases and tenant rights. On this forum, many know enough to tell the person they need to review their state laws instead of 20 pages of opinions that does nothing to help and often sends them down the dark and winding road of eviction and judgements. As we say all the time, what makes common sense or appears like the right thing, may be opposite of what the law says.
It was proper to move ot here.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:54 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDWilliams View Post
now it rained 2 months after we moved in and the whole garage flooded, and the unit settles so much the crackes are all the way across the top ceiling door jams and we are getting trapped in our rooms cause of settling over night. the management company has known about this since i moved in
What in the ...

The landlord has known about last month's rain for years?

I give up. You have stumped me.

The best I can do is to suggest the all-time cure-all remedy of putting your complaints in a certified letter. Capitalize, use correct grammar, and keep your letter brief and professional. It should be no more than 3-5 sentences. State the problem, what you want the landlord to do about the problem, and when you want it done. Be reasonable in your request. I know you're upset now, but telling your landlord that you want moved to a new unit "immediately" is unrealistic unless there's a health or structural hazard.

I would guess that your LL is refusing to move you because you are withholding rent. Withholding rent is permitted by some state laws under some very specific circumstances. Judging from your post, it is my GUESS that your circumstances do not allow you to withhold rent just yet. GENERALLY SPEAKING, you must first make your landlord aware of the problem (certified mail with a signature receipt is always the best option), then give your landlord a reasonable opportunity to fix the problem.

Good luck.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:43 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Reading your post, the immediate concern to me is safety. I'm not a building inspector but it seems to me that if the structure is settling that much overnight, there could be a hazard? Can your town send over an inspector? I mean really you don't want it to fall on you.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:31 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Why did you renew your lease?....Some people are helpless!!!

Many people stay put when they don't have the required funds to move into a new place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting