Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 03:22 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,518,183 times

Advertisements

Wow, so the maintenance guy was receiving money from the owners to refund tenants and then keeping it himself? Hopefully they fired him. The landlord should sue the maintenance guy and send any received funds from the lawsuit to those past tenants who lost money they shouldn't have lost.

It sounds like your LL is being lenient. They did have the RIGHT to require you to pay 30 days rent from the day you gave notice (or whatever your lease says), but it sounds like they are opting not to do so. That is them being nice, so I'm glad that part all worked out for you.

So you had both a dishonest maintenance guy AND a landlord who screwed up. Your deposit should never have been given to anyone but you directly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 04:36 PM

37,184 posts, read 41,398,482 times
It would seem to me that the owner is obligated to go back and review all the security deposit refunds that were kept by the "maintenance man."

His theft does not let the landlord off the hook, does it?

Old 11-03-2011, 04:41 PM

192 posts, read 827,680 times
Even if she gave the deposit to the maintenance guy, if you weren't given your itemized statement or refund, she would still be liable for it with you even if she'd given it away.

You're doing her a favor by letting her know this happened. I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:50 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,518,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It would seem to me that the owner is obligated to go back and review all the security deposit refunds that were kept by the "maintenance man."

His theft does not let the landlord off the hook, does it?
It doesn't, but we don't know the circumstances of those tenants' moveouts. Absolutely a review is in order though. If state law says those tenants should have gotten some money back, then the LL would be responsible to reimburse it. The LL would have to sue the maintenance guy to get their money back. An expensive lesson for them, but hopefully, they've learned to play by the rules now.

I get the impression they weren't being purposefully deceitful, but were inexperienced, and were taken advantage of, as the OP was, by the maintenance guy.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:24 PM

491 posts, read 1,047,132 times
This just keeps getting better: When I went to clean the apartment and turn my keys in and do the walk-through with the managers this past Friday (Nov 4), I noticed my camera that was given to me for Christmas last year was missing. I had left some items behind when I moved out because I was in a hurry but had planned on getting those when I went to clean it. So not only did he make out with $300, he also took my camera. Unless the managers took it, but they weren't even aware I had moved out already. Unless they're lying, then the owners have a bunch of liars and thieves on their staff....

Yes, he was fired...too bad it was before I noticed my camera was stolen. I'm assuming the owners are gonna sue the dude to get the money back so hopefully I hear from them again to tell them about my camera.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:35 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,709,456 times
File a police report for burglary since you still are the occupant of the premise. It may not do any good, but you never know.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:37 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,142,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsMOM83 View Post
This just keeps getting better: When I went to clean the apartment and turn my keys in and do the walk-through with the managers this past Friday (Nov 4), I noticed my camera that was given to me for Christmas last year was missing. I had left some items behind when I moved out because I was in a hurry but had planned on getting those when I went to clean it. So not only did he make out with $300, he also took my camera. Unless the managers took it, but they weren't even aware I had moved out already. Unless they're lying, then the owners have a bunch of liars and thieves on their staff....

Yes, he was fired...too bad it was before I noticed my camera was stolen. I'm assuming the owners are gonna sue the dude to get the money back so hopefully I hear from them again to tell them about my camera.
You will have a hard time getting anything done about the theft, your best bet is to report it to the police and then file a claim with your renters insurance company. You will need the theft report to substantiate your claim.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:23 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,103,365 times
sounds like you're stuck

I'd use the opportunity to rent out your old place for that last month, while having the new place, and move your stuff slowly and leisurely and cheaply with just your car. I've been moving into my place slowly so I can keep up my workout schedule and keep playing with my dog.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:24 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,103,365 times
also, theft?

have you considered renter's insurance? It's really cheap. It can be really cheap depending on your coverage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting