Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 05:37 AM

668 posts, read 2,187,949 times

Advertisements

Call the Health Department about the Mold. If its getting to your lungs, you may have problems down the road that cant be fixed, cause you may develope lung infections and scarring of the lungs and other ailements that can be detrimental, but, the Health Department will be able to tell you what kind of mold it is, and what it can do to your respitory system.

Besides, this helps in keeping a record on your LL and they maybe able to help you get that hot water sooner

I wish you well...

Jesse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 10:57 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Do you pay for gas? If not, use the gas to boil hot water for bathing and let LL know. It's their money, too.
Fixed it.

Regardless of who is paying for the gas I would not forgo bathing just because I had to heat the water on a stove.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:15 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
I'm not qualified to give legal advice...

In my experience, the resonable length of time for a repair has passed...

You have a habitability issue as referenced here:

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

In order to collect rent the unit must be habitable as defined be statute.

The problem as presented is not something beyond the control of the Landlord...

The management company is in the middle of this and they fall under the Department of Real Estate licensing requirements.

I have personal experience with shower problems...

A few years ago code changed, all the new shower control installations are of the safety type to minimize scalding by limiting the flow of hot water.

I don't know if this is your situation or not... if it is, I have found the few I have had experience with to be a logistical nightmare from a maintenance standpoint in areas with older plumbing or lots of neighborhood construction.

The old fashioned shower controls... basically hot and cold valves are bullet proof... as they fail, they just do not shut off and require a 50 cent washer to fix.

The new ones have intricate pressure/temperature balancing mechanisms that can cease functioning with only a minute spec of sediment in the valve.

One building I managed had several units with the new safety shower valves... the city replaced a water main a block away... all the new showers stopped working... no hot water.

All the old 1960 showers worked fine... no service interruptions...

I apologize for the long explanation and I am 100% in your camp... just pointing out modern technology isn't fool proof and often has unintended consequences...

The last remodel I took great pains not to disturb the original plumbing just so I could retain the old shower valves... who needs the headache... unless you happen to be a plumber

Old 11-16-2011, 12:46 PM

10 posts, read 47,185 times
thanks for your concerns and comments, guys.

they sent a handyman on monday who replaced some piping in the underground garage. i was skeptical as to how this would fix the one cold shower in the 16-unit complex, but i went along with it. the past two days' shower? hot as hell. nearly scalding. this morning i attempted another and it wouldn't break 80*

i'm pretty sure if i tell him about it one more time he's going to tell me to screw off and deal with it.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:18 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
possibly you are sharing the water heater with another unit and that unit(s) took showers just before your 80 degree shower. Try a couple more times and you might find that it is mostly hot unless someone else used up the hot water. Just a guess.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:41 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
possibly you are sharing the water heater with another unit and that unit(s) took showers just before your 80 degree shower. Try a couple more times and you might find that it is mostly hot unless someone else used up the hot water. Just a guess.
Good point...

I'm still a little confused because I think the poster said it only affected one of their two bathrooms or maybe just a single shower?

Mulit-unit buildings that share hot water always have a circulation pump which helps maintain uniform hot water through out the building.

Maybe the heater is out... especially if everyone is affected?

Old 11-16-2011, 04:00 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Or maybe it is an older unit and some of the bathrooms are on their old water heater and some are on the circulating water. Maybe this repiping that was done in the basement was to run this one shower to another water heater, leaving the other shower in the same unit as it was before.

There is no telling how the place is set up. But if they did some repiping, it sounds like that one shower is now connected to a new place for incoming water. Because it was already getting cold water before, it is likely the HOT water source that got repiped. Just a guess.

OP...how is the water temp now?

Old 11-16-2011, 04:09 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,689,094 times
Maybe its not the pipes but a valve issue. If it's using a anti-scalding valve, it could be defective or the stops are set too low so not enough hot water can enter the showerheadresulting in colder water. When the pipes were worked on, it could have created more hot water pressure and volume and when first used afterwards, the valve had too much sediment in it to prevent the anti-scalding feature to work but pressure over the times it was used washed that gunk away and now its back to the old setting. Just another option.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:25 PM

10 posts, read 47,185 times
okay, let me try to be a little more specific here...

afaik, there is one giant water heater for the building on the roof. and i mean giant. the master bedroom shower has never had a problem in terms of temperature or pressure, only the hall shower.

i've tested temperature 3 separate times with a thermometer today, once at 8am, 11:30am, and 3pm. two times around 82*, once at 88*. each time tested, all other apartment water was off and i gave the shower 5 minutes to 'warm up.'

my dad has some plumbing experience and has been saying from day 1 that the problem is the mixer or valve. the handyman they've hired insists that there is no mixer, but my dad says that's bologna if there's only one handle controlling temperature and that they probably are just avoiding tearing apart the wall.

i'm very tired of 'we're working on it, keep you posted'

i'm waking up at 6am for work tomorrow and won't have access to a morning shower -_-

Old 11-16-2011, 05:13 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,672,427 times
Cold showers.....get a new love life.....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting