Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 05:35 PM

10 posts, read 47,171 times

Advertisements

haha right?

the housing manager just came to visit and there is clearly a difference in the definition of 'adequate' between the two of us. although the water was warmer than previously in the day (of course), he made an act to show that he couldn't keep his hand under the stream saying 'that's too hot, i couldn't take a shower in that. my thermometer just broke or else i would show you how hot it is.'

so i brought my thermometer and showed him it was 96*. he said 'see, that's really hot.' he looked at me as if i were crazy when i reminded him that normal body temperature is 98.6* and claimed that he keeps his shower at 92-93 and it's comfortably hot enough.

he left the apartment saying 'i don't know what to tell you, michael. we fixed the problem. maybe you should look for another shower head.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 05:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcman17 View Post
i'm a student living in west hollywood in a 2br/2bth with 3 other roommates. we pay $2850 a month. mid october, the hall bathroom/shower began to have only mildly warm water. i texted the building manager who sent a plumber to change out the faucet. problem remains, now sometimes never getting above full cold. i have been using the master bathroom when possible, although i often wake up earlier than those roommates making a shower sometimes not possible.

after much complaining, the owner came down to check it out himself and told me he doesn't want to hear about it anymore and to live with it. we got into a minor argument about it and he said he'd have the mixer/valve changed out thursday.

today is friday, the master bathroom tub had a leak and had to be closed off. the hall bath is still cold. i called the housing manager to ask where the plumber was yesterday and he said there was another emergency and he couldn't make it - now scheduled for monday. i asked what we were supposed to do about showering and he said the hall one is live-able...which it most definitely is not. what can we do?
Is the water in the sink warm? You have to figure out what the problem is and then fix it yourself. Otherwise, you are going to have to take cold showers.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-16-2011, 05:49 PM

the sink water is the same temperature.

i refuse to take cold showers for the next 8 months. completely unacceptable.

does anyone know if there is a minimum shower temperature requirement?

Old 11-16-2011, 05:56 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
...maybe you should look for another shower head.
Or another landlord.

This has become a habitability issue that warrants calling in code enforcement and very likely the plumbing inspector as well but only after first visiting the Court to file a complaint and establish a rent escrow.

Put your LL on notice that he won't get another penny in rent until the problem is solved to YOUR satisfaction. But you have to actually mean this and be willing to follow through.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:05 AM

the only problem with that theory is that i'm positive he'll take the rent from my deposit, making it my responsibility to go chase him down for it.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:46 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
the only problem with that theory is that i'm positive he'll take the rent from my deposit, making it my responsibility to go chase him down for it.
you seem eager to find reasons to accept the conditions.
enjoy them.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:51 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Remember, City-Data is not a source for Legal Advice.

Since the problem is limited to one shower, it appears the problem is site specific.

You really need to find the applicable code to your situation if there is one.

When I was involved with FDA regs... the minimum hot water temp for hand washing sinks was 110.

In residential settings, there are also a lot of new maximum temp regulations to minimize scalding.

My best guess is there is a small obstruction affecting the hot water flow.

The problem with most shower valves is the water must be turned off the the entire building or zone to work on them... unlike a faucet that normally has individual shut offs.

What is the temp at the other bathroom?

In reading... sounds like you have permission to change the shower head? I would want something in writing before I would alter the plumbing.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:49 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
the sink water is the same temperature.

i refuse to take cold showers for the next 8 months. completely unacceptable.

does anyone know if there is a minimum shower temperature requirement?
Well then.

I would say that the other bathroom has a different water heater.

It would appear that the water heater used to heat the shower in question might have burned out one of the heating elements. It is an easy fix. All you need to know is where the electrical panel is (because you don't want to be messing around changing elements on a water heater that is live), and a screwdriver.

I have personally, in my life changed two heating elements and it's not rocket science. Most water heaters have two elements so you have to figure out which one is not working. Then you remove it, take it to home depot, get a replacement and put that baby in. Viola! Hot water!

This is a very good learning moment for you. Someday, you are going to be living next to the most righteous babe in the universe and she is going to have a burned out element in her water heater and knowing how to fix it will result in an incredible night of hot monkey sex for you.

Do it. Do it now.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-17-2011, 05:54 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well then.

I would say that the other bathroom has a different water heater.

It would appear that the water heater used to heat the shower in question might have burned out one of the heating elements. It is an easy fix. All you need to know is where the electrical panel is (because you don't want to be messing around changing elements on a water heater that is live), and a screwdriver.

I have personally, in my life changed two heating elements and it's not rocket science. Most water heaters have two elements so you have to figure out which one is not working. Then you remove it, take it to home depot, get a replacement and put that baby in. Viola! Hot water!

This is a very good learning moment for you. Someday, you are going to be living next to the most righteous babe in the universe and she is going to have a burned out element in her water heater and knowing how to fix it will result in an incredible night of hot monkey sex for you.

Do it. Do it now.

20yrsinBranson
OP says there is only one water heater for the whole building.

The problem seems to be confined to one bathroom. If the only water heater failed, no one would have hot water.

The folks here with plumbing experience think it's a valve.

Looks like the landlord is avoiding the expense of replacing the valve, with the associated hassle of inconveniencing all the tenants for the length of time it would take to shut the water off and fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting