Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 04:41 PM

9 posts, read 45,056 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty upset. I just recently moved in to an apartment and everything was paid except $15 for some small fees (10 pet rent, 5 parking). So I find their online payment website and pay it. A week later I log in again and find out I owe $115. $15 for the previous amount owed plus a $100 NSF fee.

I definitely have $15 in my bank account. The only reason I can think of is I might have entered the wrong checking account number and missed a digit when typing it in (or their system missed that last digit). I don't have the lease on me... but I would be surprised if it mentions anything about online payments and incorrect checking account number leading to a $100 "NSF" fee.

Can they actually charge this and lawfully get away with it? It seems a bit ridiculous, even if they do happen to have it in their lease, or be able to prove that I actually missed a digit when entering in the checking account number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 04:50 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,677,380 times
They can charge what the lease says so long as it does not violate any laws on what can be charged.

You will want to get from them why the transaction wasn't honored. If it turns out you entered the wrong info, its the same as giving them a check from the wrong account and it bounced. If their system made an error, they shouldn;t charge you a for it. If their bank/processor made an error, they shouldn't charge you for it. If your bank made an error, they can charge you and you can get reimbushed by your bank. Online payment is the same as you writinga check or using a credit/debit card and they don;t need any special mention for online so long as they have the generic payment penalty in the lease.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:59 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
You need to contact your bank and your landlord and get this straightened out. Can they charge you $100? If it's in the lease you signed they can. Should they? Now that's best answered when you know who made the mistake.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:35 PM

haha well that great thing about apartments is I can always picket them on the weekends if I need to. Time to get my creative juices flowing on a fantastic sign

Old 11-09-2011, 05:40 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnsykalski View Post
haha well that great thing about apartments is I can always picket them on the weekends if I need to. Time to get my creative juices flowing on a fantastic sign
Nice blame them for you not paying

Old 11-09-2011, 05:50 PM

Of course I'm gonna blame them. I had funds, I honestly tried to pay.

They have no verification setup for their online system apparently. If their online system sucks and they charge me $100 for it they deserve to be picketed. paypal has a verification system for bank accounts for example. This is just another way for them to try and make money dishonestly and any passerby should know before they rent here the type of company they're dealing with.

Last edited by lnsykalski; 11-09-2011 at 06:01 PM..

Old 11-09-2011, 08:01 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,871 times
Quote:

They have no verification setup for their online system apparently. If their online system sucks and they charge me $100 for it they deserve to be picketed. paypal has a verification system for bank accounts for example. This is just another way for them to try and make money dishonestly and any passerby should know before they rent here the type of company they're dealing with.
tried to pay but failed pay The 100 bucks

Old 11-09-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Before you go off heck bent on revenge, you first need to find out what casued the problem. If it was something you did, face reality and own up to your mistake like an adult and pay the fee if legal. If it was their fault, challenge it with them to resolution.

Quote:
Odds are if you picket them for something that was your fault, most judges will rule that harrasment and you can be evicted for cause. Are you really wiling to risk that if it was your fault?

Old 11-09-2011, 09:04 PM

" tried to pay but failed pay The 100 bucks"

actually it was $15, and it's still not even late. This is comparable to if you go online shopping and enter your billing address incorrect, except I have a lease signed which probably says they can charge me $100 if one of the numbers was entered incorrectly. I think you'd be pretty pissed off if you missed a digit in the zip code and all of a sudden your charged $100 when trying to buy some pants online.

"Odds are if you picket them for something that was your fault, most judges will rule that harrasment and you can be evicted for cause. Are you really wiling to risk that if it was your fault?"

Thanks for the tip. I'll check the lease with a lawyer if I decide to picket to see if eviction was possible. If so I'll wait until after my lease ends.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
This is comparable to if you go online shopping and enter your billing address incorrect, except I have a lease signed which probably says they can charge me $100 if one of the numbers was entered incorrectly. I think you'd be pretty pissed off if you missed a digit in the zip code and all of a sudden your charged $100 when trying to buy some pants online.
No, your applying it wrong. A correct example would be if you paid for a item by check and the check you gave them was someone elses check and it bounced. Since you gave them the check, you are responsible for any fees associated with the bounced check.

That is why I said you must find out exactly why the check was returned.

If you entered the worng info, that was 100% your fault and you owe the charges and fees.

If their system/bank/processor screwed it up, they are 100% at fault and you owe nothing.

If your bank screwed it up, you are 100% at faultand owe the charges and fees, but can get reimbushed by your bank.

So do you know exactly why the account wasn't honored?

You really ned to take this seriosuly because you may have a 800lb gorilla standing over your head.
Lets say you entered the wrong account number. That number goes to someone elses account who had no money in it. They will also get a return check fee on their account. They know they didn't write any checks so they calll the bank and are told someone attempted to write a check on that acount. They tell the bank they didn't write any check. The bank will suspend the account and credit the fee but they will need to file a police report. The police will call the bank and ask where the attempted withdrawl came from. They will get the service who processd it. That will lead back to you as the one who tried to use that account. One day as you get ready to leave for work your met at the door by two police officers who put you in handcuffs for check fraud. They haul you down and when asked why you didn;t try and straighten this out you tell them you were busy making artsy picket signs. That will go over well. Ultimetely you won;t be charged because it was a "mistake" not intended as fraud. Get this settled first thing tommorrow morning.

Last edited by PacificFlights; 11-09-2011 at 09:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting