Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 04:13 AM

9 posts, read 45,169 times

Advertisements

I understand that entering wrong bank info could lead to something like that, and if I had insufficient funds I would happily pay the associated fees. As you said I could have easily taken out money from someone elses account, which is exactly why paypal and other companies have a verification system for bank accounts. In the case of accidentally fat fingering data, it's plenty easy to miss a digit or even browser issues during the entering of the data. What if I had intention of being malicious? I could have typed in a random checking account number purposely and hoped it went through. This is why when you enter credit card information they verify your name and other things.

Imagine what would happen if visa cards were actually setup where you just had to enter a card number to make a withdraw. With no verification setup in place there would be millions of incorrect transactions daily. Should the consumer that entered in the wrong visa number be to blame and should then own up and pay any associated fees (even if that fee happens to be way more then it actually costed to run the bogus transaction)? If that were the case I would setup a website that relied on user error so I could make more money on bogus fees then actually selling product. Oh wait, that's exactly what my apartment complex did. That was smart of them.

Actually I take that back, I wouldn't setup a website like that because it would be morally wrong.

Last edited by lnsykalski; 11-10-2011 at 04:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 04:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,767,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnsykalski View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll check the lease with a lawyer if I decide to picket to see if eviction was possible. If so I'll wait until after my lease ends.
For goodness' sake what are you making such a fuss about when you could simply pick up the 'phone, make a couple of calls and find out what happened? You're on the doorsteps of a law office before you've even made any effort to resolve the issue.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
For goodness' sake what are you making such a fuss about when you could simply pick up the 'phone, make a couple of calls and find out what happened? You're on the doorsteps of a law office before you've even made any effort to resolve the issue.

Because the fee is so high $100 it gives me the impression that they're interested more in collecting the fee then the $15 i actually owed and that there won't be any understanding from them. Not to mention I didn't even get a call or an email (this is an online system) that the transaction didn't go through. If I hadn't have checked they would have started charging me late fees at some point.

I do intend to straighten it out with them tomorrow to find out what happened.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:47 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,057,832 times
You may think the fee is high, but what you think really doesn't matter. You didn't make a payment, you attempted to make a payment.

Yes, it matters who's at fault, but the point still remains, you didn't make a payment.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:53 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,767,804 times
Quote:
Because the fee is so high $100 it gives me the impression that they're interested more in collecting the fee then the $15 i actually owed and that there won't be any understanding from them. Not to mention I didn't even get a call or an email (this is an online system) that the transaction didn't go through. If I hadn't have checked they would have started charging me late fees at some point.

I do intend to straighten it out with them tomorrow to find out what happened.
Your "impression" is irrelevant. I'm sure that a simple telephone call or two will resolve the matter and determine who was at fault. Good luck.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:44 AM

912 posts, read 5,266,915 times
Instead of picketing the apartment where you live over something that is most likely your fault...

you'd be better off doing something actually productive with your time, such as doing odd-jobs or finding a part-time gig to earn the $100 and clear out this fiasco.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:54 AM

It looks like according to these websites I shouldn't be charged more then $30.

Texas Landlord Tenant Law and Regulations - EZ Landlord Forms
TEX BC. CODE ANN. § 3.506 : Texas Statutes - Section 3.506: PROCESSING FEE BY HOLDER OF PAYMENT DEVICE

"Returned Payment Fee: Assessed fees may not exceed $30. Tex. Bus. & Com. Code Ann. § 3.506"

Old 11-10-2011, 08:46 AM

29 posts, read 92,547 times
I think you're going to get much farther going in and politely asking about it than picketing. I don't know why you seem so gung ho to go picket them but realistically that's unlikely to have any impact at all. I can assure you most people who go by a place with a lone picketer outside yelling at passing cars just assume that person is nuts and pay no attention.

Meanwhile, it sounds like you haven't even bothered to ask them about this. All you have to do is call them up, explain the situation and ask if they can provide more information about why your payment was declined. Then explain that you think you may have made a typo when entering your account information, and ask if they can waive the fee. If not and you find laws that do not allow them to charge so much, you can politely point this out to them. Then you can start to get tough.

I would completely agree that $100 is nuts for a bounced $15 payment. However, you also have to understand that they likely have rules in place and they may even be automated, as for their part most of the time someone bounces a payment it is not for a small fee and is not due to a typo. The odds are good that this was a simple mistake that can easily be worked out if you'd just be willing to contact them about it.

But hey, if you want to go picket them for fun, good luck with that.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:29 AM

Yeah, probably picketing is a bit ridiculous of me to consider considering it's only $100. I'm straightening this out with them now to figure out what happened.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:54 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,040,298 times
Quote:
actually it was $15, and it's still not even late. This is comparable to if you go online shopping and enter your billing address incorrect
So you'd be pissed at the shipper for sending something to the wrong address that YOU gave them???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting