Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 03:29 PM

911 posts, read 2,600,252 times

Advertisements

as we speak im listening to literally endless walking and running from one room to another.....the apartment is set up above me just like mine below so they're literally sounding like they're having a buffalo stampede. they dont even have furniture so they're not rearranging things and they dont have kids. only two people live in this unit.

also i hear when they run water in the kitchen sink.....they dont turn it on enough so i hear this really high pitched whistle and im sure they can as well.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:59 PM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
what kind person rearranges their living room whenever they want?
The rude, self-absorbed kind who would be the first to complain when a neighbor does something that does not suit their preferences.

No wonder this planet is going to hell ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
The fact of the matter is, apt. living is shared living and you can not just do what you want.
I agree; there's such a thing as common courtesy which doesn't seem to be all that common these days, alas. You don't vacuum at 2 a.m., you don't rearrange your furniture before breakfast, and you try not to gallop all over your apartment ... all out of respect and courtesy for your neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
If your upstairs neighbor is walking like a hippo at 5 am, well, I'm sorry but next time rent a 2 floor or an upstairs apartment. No one has to cater exactly to your schedule so if you are a nightcrawler or a morning bird, don't expect EVERYONE to be like you.
No, but you should expect everyone to have some respect for people who don't like to hear you walking like a hippo at 5 a.m.

I don't understand why the importance of a extending a little courtesy to your neighbors is so difficult for people to understand. Respect your neighbors! It's not rocket science. It's not even brain surgery.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:50 PM

35 posts, read 175,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Respect your neighbors! It's not rocket science. It's not even brain surgery.
Well if you have seen my neighbors you might think they view it as rocket science.

I am one of those that hates to complain, I put up with it for as long as is tolerable. It sounds terrible I had to call the office the day after my new neighbor moved in because she thought we all wanted to hear that Dirt Road country song and TV video game (clearly on pause the same annoying music played 90 times) blaring into the wee hours of 5 am. Then she started playing the guitar and I lost my nice neighbor attitude and called the office sleep deprived. The next night she was quiet. Only her music was once again blaring during the day but I didn't say anything.

I complained today about her dog barking for 6 hours, the manager rolled her eyes at me, apparently she has heard it too before I came in. I envisioned my neighbor as this heavier girl, with concrete shoes. She knocked on my door, and I opened it to find a scrawnier stick than me. How she makes so much noise is beyond me! She didn't say her name, just said she was my upstairs neighbor, and could she come back on Monday and introduce herself and exchange numbers "for whatever". What was wrong with just saying "hi my name is xxxx. Am I being loud?" So on Monday she will come back. Rocket science?

Old 01-21-2012, 06:32 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The rude, self-absorbed kind who would be the first to complain when a neighbor does something that does not suit their preferences.

No wonder this planet is going to hell ...

I agree; there's such a thing as common courtesy which doesn't seem to be all that common these days, alas. You don't vacuum at 2 a.m., you don't rearrange your furniture before breakfast, and you try not to gallop all over your apartment ... all out of respect and courtesy for your neighbors.

No, but you should expect everyone to have some respect for people who don't like to hear you walking like a hippo at 5 a.m.

I don't understand why the importance of a extending a little courtesy to your neighbors is so difficult for people to understand. Respect your neighbors! It's not rocket science. It's not even brain surgery.
I do respect my neighbors. I don't do zumba at midnight. I don't have all night parties, I don't boom my bass in my car or in my apt, I don't stomp up and down my stairs, I don't scream from the third flr to the parking lot, I don't yell and talk loudly on the stairs after dark.

the only complaints I have made about neighbors were about all night parties the guy across the hall had ( he was gone in less than a month) and the neighbor below who refused to curb his dog. Other than that, no complaints. No need for any.

But, I do live here. I am going to live here. I am not g oing to alter my life or my way of living to please some yahoo who can't handle living in an apartment. I am going to clean my h ouse, I am going to come and go as I please, and I am going to continue to do that.

Our units are very well insulated. I looked for a place with concrete walls and floors and excellent insulation and I found one. I suggest you whiners who can't handle hearing ppl live, do the same.

I've said this over and over and over.....you can't tell someone when to walk in their apt, how to walk in their apt, or even how often to walk in their apt. They are paying to live there, that means they have full use of their place just like you have full use of yours.

Quit whining and move already. If you can't move, at least quit complaining..you're only making yourself miserable.

And remember, if you can hear your neighbor, there's a darn good chance they can hear you.......

What are you going to do when you finally buy a home and during the summer you all have your windows open and your neighbor decides to run their vaccum at 0700.......who are you going to call and complain to? The poloce? They will laugh in your face and rightfully so.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddy1 View Post
Well if you have seen my neighbors you might think they view it as rocket science.

I am one of those that hates to complain, I put up with it for as long as is tolerable. It sounds terrible I had to call the office the day after my new neighbor moved in because she thought we all wanted to hear that Dirt Road country song and TV video game (clearly on pause the same annoying music played 90 times) blaring into the wee hours of 5 am. Then she started playing the guitar and I lost my nice neighbor attitude and called the office sleep deprived. The next night she was quiet. Only her music was once again blaring during the day but I didn't say anything.

I complained today about her dog barking for 6 hours, the manager rolled her eyes at me, apparently she has heard it too before I came in. I envisioned my neighbor as this heavier girl, with concrete shoes. She knocked on my door, and I opened it to find a scrawnier stick than me. How she makes so much noise is beyond me! She didn't say her name, just said she was my upstairs neighbor, and could she come back on Monday and introduce herself and exchange numbers "for whatever". What was wrong with just saying "hi my name is xxxx. Am I being loud?" So on Monday she will come back. Rocket science?
Those were legitimate complaints and hopefully you got those issues nipped in the bud.

I think after that music repeat itself on the 90th cycle, I'd be beating on the door. lol But, you did the right thing by letting the office handle it..that way the complaints get documented.

We live in a complex that takes dogs as well..and when I got my dog I asked how they handle dog complaints ( barking mainly) and I was told that dogs will bark from time to time...what they won't accept is a dog barking for hours all day long. Or a dog being left on the patio to bark all day ( even if it is on and off barking, no pets left on the patio).

I leave a radio on to help drown out outside noise...ppl in the parking lot, workers coming and going, etc.....so far so good. I also let my neighbors know I had a new pup and he was being crate trained and that if he ever got out of hand with the barking to please let me know. I haven't heard a word yet. All but two ppl in this building own dogs.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:51 AM

370 posts, read 1,366,091 times
We're VERY good neighbors. If my dog barks, I shut her up. We pick up her droppings and we don't leave her alone for hours to howl and get frustrated.

She does tend to 'bark' at people when I walk her, especially kids, but she's part border collie and wants to herd them.

We rarely are up past 10-11 pm, do not have parties, rarely have anyone over at night.

My son is very quiet for a teen. No slamming doors, no blasting music. We have always lived in apartments since he was a baby so he knows how to behave in a group situation.

We don't smoke and I clean my apartment.

Yes, we talk loud sometimes and argue, but who doesn't? I don't run the vacuum before 11 on the weekends nor do I do laundry early on weekends. I know the tenants below me (just moved) used to go into work late Wednesdays so I would not do any laundry or play music until they left.

In contrast--we lived with the following in our rental careers:
drunks shouting ALL hours, yapping dogs, crying dogs, vicious dogs, dogs that are not being cleaned up after, college students thinking 3 am is PARTY time , people waking up and beeping their cars 5 am, swearing, fighting in the parking lot when the cops had to come,and that's just since moving in THIS complex in June.

I agree it's the tenants that make or break a place. You can't BLAME management (except for poor decisions when they rent to anyone...). People have to take person responsibility to make an apartment building or complex a good place for all.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
We're VERY good neighbors. If my dog barks, I shut her up. We pick up her droppings and we don't leave her alone for hours to howl and get frustrated.

She does tend to 'bark' at people when I walk her, especially kids, but she's part border collie and wants to herd them.

We rarely are up past 10-11 pm, do not have parties, rarely have anyone over at night.

My son is very quiet for a teen. No slamming doors, no blasting music. We have always lived in apartments since he was a baby so he knows how to behave in a group situation.

We don't smoke and I clean my apartment.

Yes, we talk loud sometimes and argue, but who doesn't? I don't run the vacuum before 11 on the weekends nor do I do laundry early on weekends. I know the tenants below me (just moved) used to go into work late Wednesdays so I would not do any laundry or play music until they left.

In contrast--we lived with the following in our rental careers:
drunks shouting ALL hours, yapping dogs, crying dogs, vicious dogs, dogs that are not being cleaned up after, college students thinking 3 am is PARTY time , people waking up and beeping their cars 5 am, swearing, fighting in the parking lot when the cops had to come,and that's just since moving in THIS complex in June.

I agree it's the tenants that make or break a place. You can't BLAME management (except for poor decisions when they rent to anyone...). People have to take person responsibility to make an apartment building or complex a good place for all.
there's an opening here on the second floor...I'd love to have you as a neighbor!!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Duplicate thread from the same poster...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting