Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:00 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,210,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncmayerblues View Post
Here is what happened*:

Over break, I was back home--away from my apartment near school.

Apparently, there was some kind of water-related leakage that prompted by manager to bring in hired workers to repair the carpet. All this w/o notifying me (which I understand is allowed if the circumstances are under "emergency" situations).

During the repair, my belongings were rearranged AND a theft occurred (will not disclose the amount, but it is a grand theft).

My manager let in the hired workers and theft occurred.

Under normal circumstances, I understand that theft is not something that I can hold the management accountable for. However, this happened after a deliberate entry allowed by the manager; do I have a case for breaking my lease?

I've checked out every tenant-rights website out there and seems like I have a decent grounds to break my lease for the manager has breached the "implied warranty of habitability."

Please, I want to get out!

*details slightly obscured for protection.
I do not believe that, legally, the landlord can be held responsible for the theft. You cannot be responsible for another human being's actions. This is why most repair companies are insured and bonded because nobody can be responsible for another person's actions.

As far as breaking the lease, you would have to take this to an attorney. My thoughts are that you need to sue the landlord for his negligence in failing to supervise the repairmen while they were present in your apartment. That if he has access to any apartment to take care of "emergencies" that he has the obligation to ensure that reasonable care is taken to safeguard personal items.

I would suggest that you sue for the amount remaining on your lease pluse 10% for the "emotional suffering" that you experienced when your personal items went missing and the fact that you feel "violated" by some stranger making off with your prized possessions.

Most likely your attorney (and his attorney) will come to a settlement that you will be let out of your lease obligation. Then, of course, your insurance company will SUE the landlord's insurance company to recoup their loss, and that will be a sweet victory for you.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 09:07 AM

10 posts, read 21,223 times
@20yrs

Thank you for your extremely clear advice. I understand that most landlord/tenant laws heavily favor the LL, but in this particular circumstance it is ridiculous that one might get away with such negligence.

This is probably what I'll be doing:

"sue the landlord for his negligence in failing to supervise the repairmen while they were present in your apartment. That if he has access to any apartment to take care of "emergencies" that he has the obligation to ensure that reasonable care is taken to safeguard personal items.
I would suggest that you sue for the amount remaining on your lease plus 10% for the "emotional suffering" that you experienced when your personal items went missing and the fact that you feel "violated" by some stranger making off with your prized possessions."

Thanks.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,867,477 times
Before "probably" doing anything you should seek legal advice.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:17 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,968,730 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your replies.

To begin with, I do not have renters insurance--to be frank, this is my first time living "away" (independent from school grounds).

As noted earlier, I did file a police report and since the theft involved a bank as well, paper trails would lead invariably to the thief.

In regards to the responsibility and the burden of proof to show that the LL is somehow related to all this, I have witnesses and the LL herself that hired workers were allowed entry during the time of the theft.

The date in which the theft occurred can be easily traced since the bank notified me of suspicious activity.

Under the Civil Code 1942, do I have enough legitimacy to break the lease? (Crime on property)
I think this is going to be tricky.
Based on this sentence;
Quote:
The date in which the theft occurred can be easily traced since the bank notified me of suspicious activity.
it appears that money was taken from your bank, and not from your apartment. Your contention seems to be that one of these workers was somehow able to access your bank account using information that he got from your apartment. Do I have that right?
I expect that you would have to prove that the ONLY way someone could have gotten access to your account was using the info taken from your apartment, and that being in your apartment on that day was the ONLY way they could have gotten it. While it may be valid logically to link the people in your apartment with the bank theft that occurred, I don't see how such a thing can be proven, unless the actual thief is caught.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:19 AM

@STT

I will be speaking with an attorney today.

@Bill K

As mentioned in my first post, details are obscured for my protection--who knows what could be read and found online these days. But rest assured, it's not a mere access to my bank account.

I'll PM you with clarifying details.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:21 AM

3,958 posts, read 6,884,878 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your replies.

To begin with, I do not have renters insurance--to be frank, this is my first time living "away" (independent from school grounds).

As noted earlier, I did file a police report and since the theft involved a bank as well, paper trails would lead invariably to the thief.

In regards to the responsibility and the burden of proof to show that the LL is somehow related to all this, I have witnesses and the LL herself that hired workers were allowed entry during the time of the theft.

Under the Civil Code 1942, do I have enough legitimacy to break the lease? (Crime on property)
We had a fire in my fraternity in college. A lot of the guys' parents homeowners insurance covered their belongings because they were dependents of their parents. My stuff wasn't covered because I went to school out of state. Just make sure to have your parents check to see if thats an option for you.

You might be able to get away with breaking your lease, but you will probably have a hard time recouping any of the losses incurred from your theft. Most college apartments are owned by scumlords with no souls.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:25 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,867,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
You might be able to get away with breaking your lease, but you will probably have a hard time recouping any of the losses incurred from your theft. Most college apartments are owned by scumlords with no souls.
The first sentence is rational. The second is a redundant and irrelevant generalization.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:27 AM

@ChiGuy

The losses are losses and in any case, I'm trying to let them go.

What I'm concerned with currently is about what measures I can take to remedy this so that the management understands that this is not ok with me.

Thanks for your advice.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:56 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,506,043 times
Reading through this, it seems there is a hidden agenda. You had theft, Ok, sorry to hear that, it sucks and the LL may or may not be responsible. BUT your main thing seems to be determining if this gives you cause to break your lease, i.e. the theft is secondary and you are really looking for an out from your lease, or am I misreading things here?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:42 AM

@tim

No theft, no contemplation of leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting