Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 07:48 PM

207 posts, read 463,675 times

Advertisements

At the end of my current lease I am moving out of state. I've gotten the entire drill down and have already given my landlord notice because they asked 5 months before the lease was up if I was going to renew. My plans are to have professional movers come in and get everything loaded and on its way, and have a few days in which to schedule a good steam cleaning and whatnot. My parents run a property management company. I've seen what bad renters are like and avoid doing that myself so I'm pretty darn light on the places I live so this should be all it takes to return it to the condition it was when I moved in.

They sent me a notice a few days ago about how they want things to go, and now I'm getting a little bit concerned over the timeline they are aiming for. They want me to do the final inspection and key handover at 9 AM and then start the next tenancy the next day. To do this they want to do a walk through weeks before my move-out date and then schedule and take care of "maintenance issues" before the next tenants move in. My primary concern is that the carpet needs to be replaced, badly, and it was that way when I moved in. Despite my valiant attempts with a steamvac I've only managed to slightly lighten the mystery colors (wine? rust? wood stain? who knows!).

This landlord has done some odd things in the past, including unilaterally "amending" the lease via email to limit what constitutes notifying them of a needed repair (from phone or email to email only, that's how I did it anyway so it is inconsequential to me, although I still don't recognize it as a valid amendment). I really don't take that as a good sign, nor that any repairs to normal minor items never goes past the first "thanks, we'll get on it" reply. When I signed I initially asked if the lease could start later than it did and was told no, yet they were shocked and panicked when I then scheduled my movers for the day of lease start because they were planning to use the first few days of my lease time to fix up the place for move in, despite collecting rent for that time!

Am I right to be a bit concerned over possible implication on their plans for a 1 day turnaround, or am I getting some sort of empathy-worry due to letting my experiences working for a property management company cloud my judgement? I work full time from home, and I am not keen on the idea of having any sort of construction going on if they are hoping to do things before I move out, much less carpeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 08:00 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
It should be of no concern to you what they do after your lease is up and you hand over the keys. They can take one day or 50 days to get the next tenant in.

I would however want in writing the day of the inspection what they determine any damage to be with a statement that this is the final inspection. And I would not be very agreeable to any kind of "construction" prior to moving out.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:39 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
It is actually law in my State to provide the tenant with a pre-move inspection to go over any potential security deposit issues...

I've always done this and it eliminates surprises...

Carpets don't last forever and the move-in condition and inventory should have sufficient to establish condition at the time of move-in.

I wouldn't worry about the time line beyond your lease...

Old 03-14-2012, 06:59 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
So did they "fix anything up" before you moved in?

As far as the carpet, are you worried about them charging you for it (but since your family is in the property management business and as ultrarunner mentioned, I'm assuming that was noted when you moved in?) or are you just concerned for the new tenant that they only have one day to replace it? If the second one, it's nice of you to be concerned, but there's really not much you can do about it.

As long as there aren't a lot of "maintenance issues" it shouldn't be a big deal, but if they want to come in your apartment every other day for the last few weeks while you're still paying rent I'd have a problem with that as it seems like they are being a little shady by basically refusing to have any turnaround time between tenants.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
As long as there aren't a lot of "maintenance issues" it shouldn't be a big deal, but if they want to come in your apartment every other day for the last few weeks while you're still paying rent I'd have a problem with that as it seems like they are being a little shady by basically refusing to have any turnaround time between tenants.

This is my major concern. There's the standard clause in the lease allowing them to enter to do needed maintenance, as well as one which in short says I have to keep the place clean and allow them to show the place near the end of my lease or else I risk forfeiture of my security deposit. That last clause is pretty blatantly at odds with the statute outlining on what a deposit may be used for.

Personally, as I work from home I believe anything more than a visit or two to correct the outstanding maintenance issues I had already reported (one of which is a minor code issue) would be in contradiction with the clause indicating that I have quiet enjoyment of the property for the term of the lease.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:36 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
I would say good job to the management company to have a new tenant move in so fast. Non of your business although it sounds you rather have them lose money...

The carpet issue sounds like you have to pay for replcement minus some wear and tear deduction due to the age of the carpet...

Rust, wine, etc. are tenants responsibilities and not considered wear and tear.

The remark that your parents run a property management company and you posting this post sounds more a red flag to me than not...we all know there are good and bad property management companies and your concern about a new tenant moving in fast should be extremely positive considering your parents job!

Old 03-15-2012, 06:27 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacepup View Post
This is my major concern. There's the standard clause in the lease allowing them to enter to do needed maintenance...

...I work from home I believe anything more than a visit or two...
I agree with you 100%.

Tell them they're welcome to do anything they like AFTER you have moved out...
or allow them ONE day that you aren't working from home (like a Saturday) to do whatever they can in that time.

If they need more time than that... they can wait until you are gone.
If that doesn't suit their idealized 24 hour turnover dream? Tough!

Old 03-15-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The carpet issue sounds like you have to pay for replcement minus some wear and tear deduction due to the age of the carpet...

Rust, wine, etc. are tenants responsibilities and not considered wear and tear.

The remark that your parents run a property management company and you posting this post sounds more a red flag to me than not...we all know there are good and bad property management companies and your concern about a new tenant moving in fast should be extremely positive considering your parents job!
I suppose I wasn't clear but all the damage was from the prior set of tenants. I gather from my neighbors that they were a bunch of partying college students and I can't imagine they got anything back on their deposit. I understand why you could be confused though given the posts on this forum which seem to be along the lines of "My dog that I didn't get permission for only ate half of the wall, why are they charging me?!"

A one day turn around seems like one heck of a gamble. Sure you will be getting rent without a break which is great, but one unexpected problem or repair from a bad tenant and you could end up eating several hundred dollars in hotel rooms and storage fees.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:55 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacepup View Post
This is my major concern. There's the standard clause in the lease allowing them to enter to do needed maintenance, as well as one which in short says I have to keep the place clean and allow them to show the place near the end of my lease or else I risk forfeiture of my security deposit. That last clause is pretty blatantly at odds with the statute outlining on what a deposit may be used for.

Personally, as I work from home I believe anything more than a visit or two to correct the outstanding maintenance issues I had already reported (one of which is a minor code issue) would be in contradiction with the clause indicating that I have quiet enjoyment of the property for the term of the lease.
I agree with you, it sounds like they are trying to absorb the burden of their make ready and fix up time, instead of allowing for it between tenants. I recommend that you give them written notice regarding what State law allows the security deposit to be used for and advising them of what day they can plan on working in the apartment as recommended by MrRational. They should be accommodating you, not the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I agree with you 100%.

Tell them they're welcome to do anything they like AFTER you have moved out... or allow them ONE day that you aren't working from home (like a Saturday) to do whatever they can in that time.

If they need more time than that... they can wait until you are gone. If that doesn't suit their idealized 24 hour turnover dream? Tough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting