Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 04:00 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times

Advertisements

My 2 roommates and I share a house a middle aged couple and mother in law. We have never met them (we moved in in Feb and have not run into them since), but they seem to have an issue with us. For instance, we share a washer dryer in the basement and they have left very nasty notes in the past for having the dryer running past 9PM (which is difficult not to do when 2 of the 3 of us do not get home from work until after 6!).

We tried to be accommodating and rang their doorbell several times when they were clearly at home to apologize. No answer.

We share a driveway. Our lease states that we are entitled to 2 spots. Since we moved in, we have been parking in such a way that two of our cars will fit as long as my roommate can go over the curb. Because the family downstairs has 3 large SUVs, they are only able to fit 1 car in the remaining space, no matter how we park.

For the past few days, they have been parking in such a way that only one of our cars will fit on the driveway. Either they park diagonally across where our two cars normally park or they park so awfully in their space that there is no room for another. It is frustrating, because that means that one of us has to park several blocks away.

Normally this wouldn't be an issue (just rude), but I am still dealing with lung issues from chemo. Most days I am fine, but some days I am *really* not - and I also really can't carry groceries much further than from the driveway into the house right now. When this happened yesterday, I immediately rang their doorbell to see what was going on. Their TV was on, but no one answered.

I am not sure how to handle this situation. While my other roommate will gladly park on the street so I can have the driveway spot, it's really not the point. Furthermore, it is still a pain for both of my roommates because they often are towing several musical instruments. Our system worked well for several months so I do not know why it suddenly is not acceptable to them and why they will not answer their door.

Do I leave a note? Call the landlord? Both of those options seem really childish, but I am not sure how to communicate when they will not answer their door. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 04:25 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,013,699 times
Take it up with landlord. They may be entitled to two parking spaces per the lease too. Maybe the landlord can (virtually) split the driveway in half assign each unit half? I don't think they have a legitimate complaint about using the washer/dryer after 9pm. If they want to be difficult you could set up a schedule. It does sound like they are being passive aggressive but that's just how some people are.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:52 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,677,380 times
Your landlord will need to be contacted and asked to identfy the parking spots. What you are experiencing is encroachment becaue the spots are not marked. If I had a parking lot capable of holding 10 cars and it was stripped, everyone would know when a car was encroaching on another spot becasue it would be over the line. But if there are no markings, they are parking their vehicles in their spots based on the size of their vehicles and it appears fair in their mind. So the landlord will need to somehow identify the spots faily and equatably or make some other concession for the issue.

Before contacting the landlord, read your lease carefully about the parking issue to make 100% sure that your understanding of the issue is what is actually in the lease. next read the proper way int he lease for notifying the landlord of issues. Most leases call for soem form of verifiable deliverd notice to the landlord, but if the landlord has been a standup person or hasn't given any indications that they wouldn;t want this resolved, maybe a first call to them nicely explaning the problem will take care of it. If the landlord doesn;t respond, the proper way int he lease will be the next step.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:17 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
it is obvious that they are parking their SUVs this way because they are making a point to you.

Don't ring their doorbell...you are their enemy in their eyes. they don't want to talk to you. They probably watch when you park and when you leave and then they complain to eachother about you. Also they track when you do laundry. Who knows what it will be next time with them.

Talking with them will solve nothing.

Time to talk to the landlord about parking. Bring up your chemo. You don't want to make yourself sick by walking far. Maybe your landlord can allow you to park on the grass or something to allow 2 spaces as promised. You might have a legal "out" in your lease to move early if 2 parking spaces are not provided as per the lease. IF you want to move, that is.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:20 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,860 times
Call your landlord. Yes it seems childish but you are clearly dealing with a bunch of children. You've tried to deal with things by talking but they won't even try so have the landlord resolve the issue before it gets any worse. I'd probably concede on the laundry thing and do laundry on the weekends especially if they are on the 1st floor, the dryer might be louder than you realize. But have your landlord help you with the parking since it's part of your lease and you have a medical need for it. You would think people living in the Boston area would be able to share a driveway like a normal person. Get it resolved now, you'll be much happier now and next winter.

Also, I'd start taking pictures of how they are parked and documenting any interaction you have with them for your protection. Save any notes they leave you, keep a log of any time you knock on their door, etc.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:04 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,538 times
Common courtesy is dead I agree with everyone else tell the landlord.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:45 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
Call your landlord. Yes it seems childish but you are clearly dealing with a bunch of children. You've tried to deal with things by talking but they won't even try so have the landlord resolve the issue before it gets any worse. I'd probably concede on the laundry thing and do laundry on the weekends especially if they are on the 1st floor, the dryer might be louder than you realize. But have your landlord help you with the parking since it's part of your lease and you have a medical need for it. You would think people living in the Boston area would be able to share a driveway like a normal person. Get it resolved now, you'll be much happier now and next winter.

Also, I'd start taking pictures of how they are parked and documenting any interaction you have with them for your protection. Save any notes they leave you, keep a log of any time you knock on their door, etc.

I agree. Pictures are worth a thousands words. Call your landlord asap and make sure come back with an update...I'm always curious how these things turn out. Good luck

Old 04-12-2012, 11:37 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
Called the landlord. He said that they have been good tenants for 6 years and that he doesn't want to rock the boat. They are moving "soon" and

Additionally, he asked that I not start readying the garden because, while it is on neither of our lease (the small garden space is supposed to be shared), the downstairs neighbors have always taken it as their own. He was not willing to be the arbiter between us since they will not answer their door.

The guy isn't a "professional" landlord - we are his only property. I like easy-going landlords, but this is too much. I'll keep you all updated.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:43 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,266 times
see if you quilafy for handicapped plates AND parking .. I just looked at the MA handicapped drivers board .. Not sure if you can get them but worth the check to look ...

Old 04-14-2012, 09:50 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
park on the grass next to the driveway if no space available.

If the tries to reprimand you, listen to him and continue to park there and if he continues to bring it up state that your lease says 2 parking spots.

He cannot evict you over parking when he is the one that is not providing the 2 parking spots that are defined in the lease. I suppose he could charge you for worn out areas on the grass from your car parking over the grass for a long time. Just try to park in slightly different spots on the grass so it doesn't get worn in one area.

I wonder when those folks are moving. Usually you give notice 30 days ahead of time. Wonder if he was bluffing to shut you up.

When/if they move, you will likley give same lease to the new renters - allowing them 2 parking spots.

He is promising more parking spots than he has available. Park on the grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting