Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 11:10 PM

5 posts, read 7,033 times

Advertisements

I live in a 100+ unit apartment complex and I went to check my mail today and the key no longer worked. A notice was duct-taped above the boxes that read, "ATTENTION the USPS Mailman IS DELIVERING MAIL in our OFFICE in (our street address). Please pick up during business hours M-F 9am to 5pm and Saturdays 9am to 4pm. Thanks: The Management". I have never heard of such a thing. I feel it's an invasion of privacy! Plus, I was expecting a check today and because I was unaware of this 'change', I had checked the mail after the office had closed so I have to wait until Monday. Is this legal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 04:58 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtf2do View Post
"ATTENTION the USPS Mailman IS DELIVERING MAIL in our OFFICE in (our street address).
Please pick up during business hours M-F 9am to 5pm and Saturdays 9am to 4pm. Thanks: The Management".

I have never heard of such a thing. I feel it's an invasion of privacy! Is this legal?
Did it ever occur to you to ask them WHY?
and perhaps how long this will continue?

I bet here is a plausible reason for them take on the bother of such a tedious and thankless job
and that it has nothing whatsoever to do with any wish to invade anyone's privacy.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:03 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,853 times
Quote:
I live in a 100+ unit apartment complex and I went to check my mail today and the key no longer worked. A notice was duct-taped above the boxes that read, "ATTENTION the USPS Mailman IS DELIVERING MAIL in our OFFICE in (our street address). Please pick up during business hours M-F 9am to 5pm and Saturdays 9am to 4pm. Thanks: The Management". I have never heard of such a thing. I feel it's an invasion of privacy! Plus, I was expecting a check today and because I was unaware of this 'change', I had checked the mail after the office had closed so I have to wait until Monday. Is this legal?
Wow..never heard of such a thing! Why did the postman decide to deliver the mail to the desk and was it truly his decision? Big time problems if someone is tampering with the mail at your apt. complex. Was there any sort of issue for the postman with regard to getting the mail into the boxes? I know when our mailman can't get something into our mailbox at the road, he leaves a note of some sort. Did your mailman do that? I would contact the local Post Office, give them your address and find out what happened. If your Landlord made this decision to have all the mail delivered at the front desk of the complex then I don't see how it could be legal. Call the local Post Office and ask.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:18 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Contact the emergency tenant number. Tell them you need access to your mail as you were not given reasonable notice that you could not pick it up from the mailbox as usual. While you are making arrangements to get your mail (although not sure why you couldn't get it on Sat) ask them what is going on....

Old 06-02-2012, 02:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Contact the emergency tenant number. Tell them you need access to your mail as you were not given reasonable notice that you could not pick it up from the mailbox as usual. While you are making arrangements to get your mail (although not sure why you couldn't get it on Sat) ask them what is going on....
This right here. Then take it from there based on what you're told.

If this is a continuing thing, I'd be thinking about getting a P.O. box, myself.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:32 PM

295 posts, read 1,178,842 times
These are the kinds of things that have made me have a PO Box for years. It sure cuts down on issues and you can get your mail anytime.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:43 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malone7384 View Post
These are the kinds of things that have made me have a PO Box for years. It sure cuts down on issues and you can get your mail anytime.
And you never have to change your address when you move, unless you want to.

I've had PMB's for years, and I think they're great!

Old 06-02-2012, 07:27 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
P.O. Boxes?

I don't see anything convenient about getting in my car, traveling several miles, burning up gas, looking for a place to park vs {in my case} just walking to the end of my driveway to pick up my mail.

As far as the OP's landlord getting the mail.........it sounds illegal to me......there should not be a third party in between a person's mail and the mailman/post office.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:53 PM

6 posts, read 18,252 times
I have a feeking something was wrong with the mail boxes and the complex is handling the mail until they decide what to do. Just call the post master at your USPS and ask.

I don't think anything is illegal about it since many apartment complexes have the concierge office take mail and packages. And hotels get mail for guests all the time.

If you are concerned about the security of your mail just talk to the USPS and find out what your options are.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:07 PM

858 posts, read 1,806,268 times
I agree. Something is going on and they are just taking your mail temporarily while the issue is fixed. Just ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting