Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 08:45 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,128 times

Advertisements

So I found a great place on CL and I'm currently filling out the application he sent via email.

Is this normal?

It isn't asking for my SS, or bank info just my full address.

Should I be worried?

The price is low for the area but he said its because he wants the tenant to keep it clean and treat it as their own.

Which I would.

I called him this morning at 10:25am and he was kind of agitated on the phone.

He also said the keys and documents of the apartment are currently with him in Ohio (the apartment is in Boston) and I wouldn't be able to see it until he sent them.

No sure what this means as I have only rented without a lease and the one time I had a lease my BF took care of everything.

HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 08:50 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Run. If you send money without getting in the place, he likely doesn't even own it and is scamming yu. Even if you meet outside the place, you need to get into it to be sure he has the keys.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:46 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
he said its because he wants the tenant to keep it clean and treat it as their own.
Any time someone says this I assume it's a scam.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:24 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
It isn't asking for my SS, or bank info just my full address. OK
Should I be worried? NO
The price is low for the area but... OK
He also said the keys and documents of the apartment are currently with him in Ohio
(the apartment is in Boston) and I wouldn't be able to see it until he sent them. To whom?

No sure what this means...
Out of town LL's are abundant as are inept ones.
This guy may be both but there's not enough info to say.

If the location and condition and price suit... make yourself available to see it.
Maybe he has a neighbor or relative? whatever.

He hasn't asked for money... right?
Put it back in his lap to get you in to see the place. Until then... keep looking.
---
If/when he gets back to you or if you're feeling nosey... learn who owns the property.
The state tax assessors office usually has this online.

Don't make a deal with anyone who isn't the owner.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:22 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,471 times
My first reaction to this is that you are in the middle of a scam. The sure way to know... as soon as he asks you to send him money without you ever having seen the place. Something along the lines of "send me the deposit and I will send you the lease and keys".

I would bet this one at 80% scam / 20% legit... let us know how it turns out.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:43 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
Ask for his address in Ohio because you want to arrange for an overnight pickup 9at your expense) from him of the lease for you to sign. You'll mail it overnight (specifiaclly state US Mail) backed and sign. Once he countersigns it you will arrange for theanother overnight with the check to him and a return envcelope for him to send the keys and receiopts.

Any legitimate landlord will have no issures with using the US Mail. A scammer wil be a bit nervious because of poastal laws.

A legitimate landlord because they are niot paying will not have issues with sendingt he elasse ahead, while a scammer will be nervious because its doen;t fit the scam.

A legitimate landlord will have no isses sendingt he keys once they receive the check because they can always change the locks if your check is fake. A scammer will start to worry that they are the ones being scammed.

Also make sure you get the physica addres so you can have someone do a drive by to check it out and your doing a records check to see who the owner of record is and the story behind the property.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,991 times
Run, do not walk, away from ads like this. Simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting