Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 11:51 PM

189 posts, read 647,730 times

Advertisements

Here is my situation been at a apartment for a year lease is up 24 AUG then it goes month to month. I just found a place that is far better but they will not hold the property for 60 days. It just so happens that my renters insurance is up end of JUL, my lease only states that I must provide renters insurance there is nothing about any penalties or charging you if you do not have insurance.

So my question is lets say 24 AUG comes around and I dont have nor plan on getting renters insurance as required will I still be required to give 60 day notice as im ineligible to rent?

Normally I would give the 60 day notice but they just switched companies and raised the rent by $100 along with trash, cable, pest control, water fee which totals an extra $200 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 12:19 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Most likely they will move to have you evicted. The not keeping of renter's insurance is breaking the lease. Not a good plan and intentional failure to maintain the terms of the lease will NOT get you out of liability to perform with regard to other portions of the lease.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:02 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
OP, a lot of your post makes no sense, at least to me.

So they have increased rent and fees -- why would that make you NOT give notice? ("Normally I would give the 60 day notice ..." but because they have raised your rent & fees you've decided NOT to give notice?)

If you found another place, will they hold it until 8/1 (so a few weeks instead of 60 days)? That would give you 24 days' overlap for moving (you'd be paying rent at both places for those 24 days, but often that's unavoidable with moving).

But if you have to give 60 days' notice and your lease expires 8/24, you have already missed the 60 days as it should have been given on/around 6/24.

I have never heard of renters' insurance being required (ALWAYS highly recommended, and I would never rent without it, but never required). But I also don't understand what that has to do with 60 days' notice? Do you think somehow that if you tell your current LL on 8/24 that you no longer have renters' insurance that they will let you just walk without any notice at all? Is that what you are hoping?

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 07-08-2012 at 07:29 AM..

Old 07-08-2012, 07:14 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6864 View Post
Here is my situation been at a apartment for a year lease is up 24 AUG then it goes month to month. I just found a place that is far better but they will not hold the property for 60 days. It just so happens that my renters insurance is up end of JUL, my lease only states that I must provide renters insurance there is nothing about any penalties or charging you if you do not have insurance.

So my question is lets say 24 AUG comes around and I dont have nor plan on getting renters insurance as required will I still be required to give 60 day notice as im ineligible to rent?

Normally I would give the 60 day notice but they just switched companies and raised the rent by $100 along with trash, cable, pest control, water fee which totals an extra $200 a month.
Did they give proper notice of a rent increase?

Old 07-08-2012, 07:27 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6864 View Post
lease is up 24 AUG then it goes month to month.
I just found a place that is far better but they will not hold the property for 60 days.
Sounds like a good fit to me. Move sooner than 60 days... like 24 AUG or shortly after.
Whats the issue?
Quote:
my renters insurance is up end of JUL...
Then renew it. If/when your address changes... tell the agent.

Quote:
Normally I would give the 60 day notice but...
Whatever amount the rent is or may change to...
you still have to give notice in accordance with the lease terms.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:05 AM

189 posts, read 647,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Sounds like a good fit to me. Move sooner than 60 days... like 24 AUG or shortly after.
Whats the issue?
They want me to pay rent all the way through the end of Sept on month to month that would be $1400. even though my 60 day would be in the first week of sept. The property I want needs a move in date of AUG 1st so that would be almost $5000 id have to pay in rent for just 2 months not including sec. dont know about you but thast a lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Then renew it. If/when your address changes... tell the agent.
Not really the problem

Last edited by cbr6864; 07-08-2012 at 10:22 AM..

Old 07-08-2012, 11:45 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Re-read your lease. Some leases state that notice has to be specific to the end of a rental period (e.g., if the lease ends 8/31, you must give notice by 7/31 -- if you give notice on 8/1 you missed the month so now have to pay through 9/30). Other leases just say 30 days, 45 days, 60 days, or whatever, and don't specify that it has to coincide with the end of a rental month.

If your lease is the latter type, you should just give notice NOW if you are sure you are going to move. That would mean you would need to be out by 60 days from today.

If your lease is the former type, you are out of luck for early September because you missed the deadline.

Again, READ YOUR LEASE. What does it say in terms of notice?

And you were the one who was writing about your rental insurance as though somehow not having it on 8/24 would make your LL let you off the hook?! So don't get annoyed at MrRational for not understanding your convoluted post.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,627 times
We are being evicted from our apt for breaking the no pet policy. I received a note on my door saying to pay 250.00 fee plus 10.00 a day for everyday the pet is still in the property. I also received a note saying that because we broke the no pet policy we must vacate the property immediately or a suite will be filled in court against us. I have always paid my rent on time. I have never had any problems with any of my neighbors or landlord. I have never received any other notices or warnings prior to this eviction letter. I also know neighbors that have pets that aren't getting evicted. I feel like my landlord is singling me out. What should I do?

Old 11-15-2014, 08:27 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
This is about you, not your neighbors. You broke the lease.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:52 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,839,013 times
Maybe your neighbors lease does not state "no pets" or they might have a service animal. Either way, if you broke the terms of your lease, you can and should be evicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting