Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 03:20 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,771 times

Advertisements

Well as some of you may recall , due to a pay cut with a 3 day notice (3.00 an hr.at that ) I was forced to stay at the same complex but smaller, cheaper apt for 6 more months.

I now have a large problem that I had a bad feeling was coming and its here .

Again as some may recall I had a carpet problem last fall //www.city-data.com/forum/renti...sed-guest.html

It was fixed and I also offered to pay for an entire room of new carpet as well.. still will if they want it, Carpet is 2 yrs. From the time I admitted to the landlord it had a burn mark , she was just GUNNING for an entire 3 bd apt of new carpet on MY dime. Well the carpet looked great so she couldnt do the burn mark method.
So...
I went in for my walk through upon move out with an associate, she complimented the whole apt plus told me how great the carpet looked even asking if it was new when I moved in (it wasnt) AND said do not worry the complex had already used up their budget for entire apt recarpets for the year, so that wasnt going to happen . That was at 11 am, I signed off on it...by 6 pm the manager was banging on my door of the new apt saying the ENTIRE CARPET WAS WET and had BLACK MOLD ALL UNDER IT . no freaking way was that carpet wet. I denied this to her face and she asked to see my husband in the office. He went .

She told him the wetness/black mold story , he said no way also and how would she expect him to peel up the carpet and look,,, also reminding her that our move in last year was delayed 2 weeks due to having to tear out walls and peel up existing carpet due to MOLD using fans to dry it out ( we looked in the windows and saw this ) . She then changed her story and said it was because we kept the heater on all the time ?? how would she know? ..he said no ,, sorry , she then changed it AGAIN saying it was because we had furniture againt the wall . He said he wasnt going to argue with her anymore that he'd surely see the bill and left .. They have charged us $1000 for a whole new carpet . taking $500 off by taking our deposit leaving us with owing $500. I can pay or I can dispute .. this makes me SO MAD.... I dont want a bad record.

What they dont know is that we took very carefull pics of everything ,every room from every angle after we cleaned and vacuumed . The place is immaculate .No mold anywhere . Carpets beautiful . Its on my phone showing time and date. I dont know whether to pay slowly over the 6 months or Dispute. I have 30 days to dispute in writing. I can't afford $500 all at once. Plus there was no way we were going to rip up the carpets to look underneath,, off the tack strips etc ..Never would have thought of doing that really.

I NEVER want to live here again , and I want to make sure I can leave in 6 months and one day . Also I am afraid like I was before because they enjoy handing out no cause evictions here and alot of tennants are afraid of the manager because of it. Not sure which is best route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 03:24 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
I suppose there's a question in that soliloquy somewhere...
but I'm not gonna go look for it.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:26 PM

Thanks.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:28 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,079,840 times
Why on earth would you pay $1,000 if the situation is as you described? DISPUTE IT!!

Old 07-09-2012, 02:46 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,757,346 times
Sounds like your decisions are:

1. Pay $90 (or so) extra each month for the next 6 months that you are living there. You feel this will keep your record clean and help the LL be friendly (or, at least, not stir up trouble).

2. Dispute the claim based on the walk-through and the photos you have. You feel this will make the next 6 months a hassle because the LL is sure to pick on you out of revenge.

That about sum it up?

Is the extra $ each month worth the (hopefully) peaceful living you anticipate? Can you live with the unfairness of that and just let the emotional side go?

What happens if you agree to the extra money and the LL decides you are easy pickings? Will your life be better or worse for the next 6 months?

Nobody can answer these questions but you...

Best of luck in whatever choice you make.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:55 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
I'm guessing you didn't get anythign in writing from the walkthrough. Personally I would dispute it. I'm not about to hand over $1,000 to anyone where it isn't warranted.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:06 AM

Ok yes,, thanks to all that read through it ,, you had to understand it all before you could see my quandry. Yes I admit I am a pretty tough chick but Im afraid of that landlord ( manager really... a corporation owns it and others)afraid of being homeless if I dispute due to her no cause evictions , and Ive seen what shes done to others and I admit to being somewhat intimidated. Which I usually am NEVER intimidated . I will compose a letter tomorrow and dispute .

Old 07-10-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm guessing you didn't get anythign in writing from the walkthrough. Personally I would dispute it. I'm not about to hand over $1,000 to anyone where it isn't warranted.
Just that it would need a partial clean and a partial paint,, we ived there 1 1/2 years. NO mold was ever mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting