Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:17 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times

Advertisements

Tenant appears to be in a committed relationship. Good tenant, no complaints about him ever and he pays on time. For the past 6 months or so, I have been aware that this new person is there much of the time. Lease renewal is coming up and tenant has indicated he plans to renew the lease. He asked for a 2nd property gate remote for his "uncle" who stays with him a lot "visits about every other week when he is in town.") I believe his "uncle" is pretty much there all the time. We said we provide unlimited gate access for those on the lease only. Ok, my question. Should I ask my tenant for more info about this guest or just leave it alone. He's lived there 2 years now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 01:27 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Tenant appears to be in a committed relationship. Good tenant, no complaints about him ever
and he pays on time. He's lived there 2 years now....
Let sleeping dogs lie.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:35 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Tenant appears to be in a committed relationship. Good tenant, no complaints about him ever and he pays on time. For the past 6 months or so, I have been aware that this new person is there much of the time. Lease renewal is coming up and tenant has indicated he plans to renew the lease. He asked for a 2nd property gate remote for his "uncle" who stays with him a lot "visits about every other week when he is in town.") I believe his "uncle" is pretty much there all the time. We said we provide unlimited gate access for those on the lease only. Ok, my question. Should I ask my tenant for more info about this guest or just leave it alone. He's lived there 2 years now....

This "unlce" needs to be added to the lease and go thru the same background checks as the tenant. He isn't a guest, he's an illegal resident.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:48 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
Just tell him that you don't give out access keys to non-tenants and you would be more than happy to take an application for his "uncle" and maybe add him to the lease. Otherwise, you can't help him.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
Just tell him that you don't give out access keys to non-tenants and you would be more than happy to take an application for his "uncle" and maybe add him to the lease. Otherwise, you can't help him.

Yup. We've had ppl in our complex evicted because of their visiting 'uncles'. If you're not on the lease you can only stay x amount of days in a row or x amount of days in a month. If someone was staying every weekend, they'd HAVE to be on the lease. No exceptions. It's a great way to weed out rif-raf.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If someone was staying every weekend, they'd HAVE to be on the lease.
No exceptions. It's a great way to weed out rif-raf.
so instead you tell this good pay, on time, no trouble tenant...
that he has to either step it up with the GF or he isn't welcome anymore?
and then you'll start considering him and the gf rif-raf?

If you want to have a chat with him and *ask* to make it official... sure, ask.
But when you press on an otherwise solid situation... it never turns out better.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
so instead you tell this good pay, on time, no trouble tenant...
that he has to either step it up with the GF or he isn't welcome anymore?
and then you'll start considering him and the gf rif-raf?

If you want to have a chat with him and *ask* to make it official... sure, ask.
But when you press on an otherwise solid situation... it never turns out better.

There is no asking and there is no GF involved. We are talking about the OPs tenant wanting to get a gate pass for his 'uncle' who visits A LOT. This 'uncle' would be considered a resident and therefore should have an app and a background check on file.

Background checks don't weed out rif-raf? We do background checks when hiring new employees. Just this last week I had two interviews that were just awesome. Then the background check came back. Funny how people don't like to tell you about their time in jail, or rehab, or how they are on the sex offender list, etc.

No, they weren't hired.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
There is no asking and there is no GF involved.
Go back and re-read the OP and amending the lease for her.

The rest is about the subterfuge of the gate pass which I didn't address.
On that point: NO pass.

On the larger question of poking sticks at hornets nests: I'll stick.
Absent complaints or actual problems... you leave sleeping dogs be.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:36 PM

[quote=Squirl;25260433]Tenant appears to be in a committed relationship. Good tenant, no complaints about him ever and he pays on time. For the past 6 months or so, I have been aware that this new person is there much of the time. Lease renewal is coming up and tenant has indicated he plans to renew the lease. He asked for a 2nd property gate remote for his "uncle" who stays with him a lot "visits about every other week when he is in town.") I believe his "uncle" is pretty much there all the time. We said we provide unlimited gate access for those on the lease only. Ok, my question. Should I ask my tenant for more info about this guest or just leave it alone. He's lived there 2 years now....[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Go back and re-read the OP and amending the lease for her.

The rest is about the subterfuge of the gate pass which I didn't address.
On that point: NO pass.

On the larger question of poking sticks at hornets nests: I'll stick.
Absent complaints or actual problems... you leave sleeping dogs be.

The only her mentioned is your's....the OP is talking about two males. Not that their gender matter, but at least get facts straight when commenting on someone's post.

If the tenant wants to move someone in, fulltime or partime (like this case), that person needs to fill out an app and get a background check done. I can't see anyone refusing to do this unless they have something to hide.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:37 PM

819 posts, read 3,208,674 times
Actually, the OP said the tenant was a male. So maybe there is issue with the fact that he possible has a boyfriend. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting