Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 02:27 PM
PvZ PvZ started this thread

4 posts, read 20,179 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to how many apartment complexes offer monthly bug spray treatments.

I'm interested in an apartment that does but I'm kinda questioning as to why they do it . . . courtesy? Or have/does the building have a bug problem?
I haven't seen any apartments offer that. The place is pet friendly so I'm wondering if the place isn't that well kept (neighbors have multiple pets?). Also someone coming into my apartment on a monthly basis seems kinda intrusive

The price is great but is having some random person in my home every month worth it

Would you rent from this place? Kinda caught in the middle and not sure if I should take it or not . .

Thanks for your replies and reading

:: Edit ::

I live in NJ, I don't really notice much bugs, centerpiedes here and there, definitely NO roaches (thank goodness).

The rental office said it's not a spray (so not harmful or awful smells) but "zapping" walls and floors.. anyone have any idea on what the heck that's suppose to mean/do?

I also believe its mandatory; written into the lease so I can't refuse.

Last edited by PvZ; 07-24-2012 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 03:06 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,470,844 times
It depends a lot on where you live. In my area, we don't really have widespread infestation problems. I lived in an apartment complex for 3 years and never saw any bugs other than an occasional spider or fly. So the apartments do not treat for infestations, except on an "as needed" basis.

But if you live somewhere where, say, roaches are widespread, it would be more important to treat regularly.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:13 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,681,551 times
The active ingredients in bug sprays work for 90 days minimum. Doing it more often is usually just to improve the pest-guy's bottom line, or to placate the tenants that complain about every bug they see.

It isn't necessary, although it's unlikely to hurt anything.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:26 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,419,953 times
A long time ago, I rented a place that did it every other month. I use natural plant oil for bug control so I prefer not to have my apartment sprayed inside so often. My last place only sprayed as needed. So it depends.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:08 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PvZ View Post
I'm interested in an apartment that does but I'm kinda questioning as to why they do it
Your thinking is on the right track.

I've never lived anywhere (rent or own) that required insect spraying.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:36 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PvZ View Post
I'm curious to how many apartment complexes offer monthly bug spray treatments.

I'm interested in an apartment that does but I'm kinda questioning as to why they do it . . . courtesy? Or have/does the building have a bug problem?
I haven't seen any apartments offer that. The place is pet friendly so I'm wondering if the place isn't that well kept (neighbors have multiple pets?). Also someone coming into my apartment on a monthly basis seems kinda intrusive

The price is great but is having some random person in my home every month worth it

Would you rent from this place? Kinda caught in the middle and not sure if I should take it or not . .

Thanks for your replies and reading

:: Edit ::

I live in NJ, I don't really notice much bugs, centerpiedes here and there, definitely NO roaches (thank goodness).

The rental office said it's not a spray (so not harmful or awful smells) but "zapping" walls and floors.. anyone have any idea on what the heck that's suppose to mean/do?

I also believe its mandatory; written into the lease so I can't refuse.
First what is "zapping"? That doesn't sound like spraying to me. I agree with Zippyman but every month to a tenant is a real inconvenience. I could see spraying quarterly for one year for most apartments during the summer and especially April for termites if they see any signs of them. More than that is not really necessary as Zippyman pointed out.

If you don't want a stranger roaming in your apt. while you are out maybe looking into getting a nanny cam or maybe look check with your Cable Company to see if they have that house monitor thing I have seen on TV.

I have never heard of any landlord offering this right up front like that. Nothing in any lease saying it to allow it every month but I have seen in leases where they say the tenant must allow for ........ being done each month if needed or when the landlord wants/needs it done. Maybe if you check with the other tenants or with the neighbors first. Some people also scope out the place for like a week or more if the apt. doesn't rent right away and they check with the neighbors to see what the other tenant and landlord are like.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:50 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times
if it kills insects and other creatures its harming humans, no one should even use fly killer spray in the home...

Old 07-24-2012, 04:50 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,667,657 times
Yes, mine does. They're coming day after tomorrow.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:40 AM
PvZ PvZ started this thread

4 posts, read 20,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
First what is "zapping"?
I'm not sure what the "zapping" is, that's how the rental office described it when I asked about what I had read on that apartment review. She claims it's to keep the critters away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Yes, mine does. They're coming day after tomorrow.
Do you find the monthly visits inconvenient?

Old 07-25-2012, 04:37 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
if it kills insects and other creatures its harming humans, no one should even use fly killer spray in the home...

"dizzybint" hahaha, *thud* grunt, ok up off the floor from laughing. That is a funny name I lke it

I agree if it kills other creatures it is harming humans and pets too. The spray terminix used in my apt. was a wide wet whad of poison. I had to wait hours for it to fully dry. Later I found more that never dried on some plastic containers I had stored away covered and up against the wall. That stuff could have easily killed my pussycats which infurated me when I found it months later Since it kills mice I have to naturally consider it kills cats too and harmful to us humans living here. I know they wouldn't likely eat it but who knows what may have spilled off the containers and got on the floor where they walk over it. I shudder to think what would have happened if a baby got under the sheet I used to cover it with and got into that. I wouldn't think anything of it since I, as far as I knew then, I only had a few plastic containers the a baby couldn't get into. Everything inside those containers had to be thrown out too. What a waste. It's a lesson well learned after seeing that. I still haven't used the spray bottles of poison they gave me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting