Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 01:16 AM

3 posts, read 17,144 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am currently living in an apartment complex and earlier in the year I was 10 days late with my rent and received a "pay or quit" notice. I can't remember the exact length of time they gave me, but I believe it was 3 days. I paid my balance in full on the second day and thus did not have to vacate. I am still in that same apartment and on that same lease and no negative infractions have occurred to my knowledge other than hefty late fees for that month.

My lease ends soon and I will be applying to other apartment complexes in the near future. Will the pay or quit notice occur in any form on my rental history other than a late payment? Or will it show up as something more severe than that? Once again, I did pay the full amount owed in the allotted time (which was for the current month's rent - I wasn't past due on anything else) and they accepted it and I still live at the same apartment complex and haven't had any issues since.

Also, should I mark "yes" for "Have you been evicted or asked to move out?" questions on rental applications? I'm not sure how to go about this since I paid in full and did not end up needing to move out. Does the pay or quit notice still constitute "being asked to move out" if it was resolved in time and I still live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 05:15 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
I'm going to say no. You paid it and continued to live in the unit. Basically, a pay or quit is a final notice. If you hadn't paid it, you would've been evicted.

You weren't evicted nor were you asked to move out, you were asked to pay your rent.

If that was your only time paying your rent late, I'd say don't worry. However, if you paid rent several times late, I'd be concerned. The new landlord is going to ask the old one what kind of payer you were.

Last edited by Kim in FL; 07-28-2012 at 05:44 AM..

Old 07-28-2012, 10:50 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,779,206 times
as a landlord I will say no if you paid I have better things do with my time. Your landlord will not give your new landlord any bad info if he is smart just yeas you lived there from a to b.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:54 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
Pull your credit report and see if it is on there. That is probably the best way to see if it will have any affect.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:42 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,691,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Pull your credit report and see if it is on there. That is probably the best way to see if it will have any affect.

A pay or quit notice isn't the same as an eviction, it's just notice to the tenant that an eviction is coming.
Your landlord will have a record of it, but your credit report wont show it.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:02 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,484,462 times
I agree, in almost all cases, it will not show up on your credit report. There is a miniscule possibility that if you rent from a very large national company, they may report monthly to a reporting agency, but I really really doubt it. And even so, I don't know if the credit bureaus even allow reports on anything that isn't over 30 days past due, so if you paid current within 30 days, it wouldn't be reported anyway.

So I wouldn't worry about it being on your credit report as the odds are extremely low. It could come up on a landlord reference. Some of the ones I get are very detailed, and want to know how many times a pay or quit notice has been served, how many times late 1-5 days, 6-10 days and 11+ days. So if your landlord gets one like that and fills it out truthfully and completely, it could come up.

I agree with others that you have not been "evicted or asked to move out". If you hadn't paid your rent in the 3 days, then the answer would have been yes.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:44 PM

3 posts, read 17,144 times
Got approved! Thanks everyone!

Old 08-07-2012, 08:11 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_1685 View Post
Hello,

I am currently living in an apartment complex and earlier in the year I was 10 days late with my rent and received a "pay or quit" notice. I can't remember the exact length of time they gave me, but I believe it was 3 days. I paid my balance in full on the second day and thus did not have to vacate. I am still in that same apartment and on that same lease and no negative infractions have occurred to my knowledge other than hefty late fees for that month.

My lease ends soon and I will be applying to other apartment complexes in the near future. Will the pay or quit notice occur in any form on my rental history other than a late payment? Or will it show up as something more severe than that? Once again, I did pay the full amount owed in the allotted time (which was for the current month's rent - I wasn't past due on anything else) and they accepted it and I still live at the same apartment complex and haven't had any issues since.

Also, should I mark "yes" for "Have you been evicted or asked to move out?" questions on rental applications? I'm not sure how to go about this since I paid in full and did not end up needing to move out. Does the pay or quit notice still constitute "being asked to move out" if it was resolved in time and I still live there?
Easiest way to find out is to have your credit report run. Be aware though that when your credit report is run it dings your credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting