Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 4,893 times

Advertisements

My fiance and myself moved out a few months ago and we were living with 3 other people. My 2 roommates broke the initial lease by having a dog. My fiance nor myself ever signed OR even saw a copy of the lease. Well last night my roommates got into a huge argument and our names were brought into it and we were kicked out. So today we went to get out stuff and they went on to tell us how we have to pay for the month of september and the utilities even though they kicked us out. and if we didnt they would "do stuff". So what are our options? what can we do? My roommates said my fiances name was on the lease because we gave them a photo copy of his ID and a pay stub but we still never signed it or even saw it. Is it legally binding? Can we get sent to small claims court for not paying the rent for a place we arent even living at anymore? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 05:38 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
In order for contracts to be enforceable they have to be in writing and signed. If you don't have that, then you don't have an enforceable contract. This is true in all if not all states, I believe, because of the Statute of Frauds. I know in Oregon leases fall under the Statue of Frauds.

The Statue of Frauds just means that in order for the contract to be enforced in court it has to be in writing and mutually signed by both parties to create a binding legal agreement. States and jurisdictions dictate what types of contracts have to be in writing and signed. I can't imagine a lease wouldn't fall under that, but I don't know what state you are in though.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:07 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica.b222 View Post
My fiance and myself moved out a few months ago and we were living with 3 other people. My 2 roommates broke the initial lease by having a dog. My fiance nor myself ever signed OR even saw a copy of the lease. Well last night my roommates got into a huge argument and our names were brought into it and we were kicked out. So today we went to get out stuff and they went on to tell us how we have to pay for the month of september and the utilities even though they kicked us out. and if we didnt they would "do stuff". So what are our options? what can we do? My roommates said my fiances name was on the lease because we gave them a photo copy of his ID and a pay stub but we still never signed it or even saw it. Is it legally binding? Can we get sent to small claims court for not paying the rent for a place we arent even living at anymore? thanks.
In many states a lease must be signed by all parties to the lease in order to be enforceable. Do you have someone you can ask about your state? Don't take these people's word for it.

They are out to get your money and may not be informed about what the actual law is. Don't give them any money until you know what the actual law is.

As far as them threatening to "do stuff" you should consider reporting the threat to the police.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:08 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Not only do I believe no way could they do anything, but I'm willing to bet they are the ones breaking some laws. If you have been paying rent, many jurisdictions require 30 days notice to evict. Second, if they say they have a signature, it's not hard to prove forgery

Old 08-08-2012, 05:16 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica.b222 View Post
If you never signed a contract/lease then you are not obligated to pay them anything..nothing in writing, nothing binding. That photo copy of your Fiance's I.D. and his paycheck stub are still not legally binding documents. Get your stuff and move on. If they continue to threaten you, I would contact the police prior to getting your things and ask that they go with you when you go to pick your stuff up.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:37 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
So they kick you out in the beginning of August and want you to pay rent for September? What exactly was their reasoning for this? And did you pay for August? If you did I would want that money back along with not paying for September.

Did you get your stuff out or is it still there. That would be my biggest concern. And what exactly do you mean by "they would do stuff"? Did they physically threaten you? If so, I would report it to the police and tell them you did.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:28 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
You've already received good info. I'll just add that you now need to understand that you may not just move in with other people no matter what arrangement you and they may make. The only people legally permitted to live in a rental property are the people who have entered into a lease with the landlord. Based on what you wrote, you were illegally occupying the property plus there may be legal restrictions on the number of unrelated persons who can occupy a particular property, too. The bottom line is this: the next time you rent a place, you should have a lease or sublease in writing.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica.b222;25529273

Well last night my roommates got into a huge argument and our names were brought into it and [B
we[/b] were kicked out. So today we went to get out stuff and they went on to tell us how we have to pay for the month of september and the utilities even though they kicked us out. and if we didnt they would "do stuff".
What does the dog have to do with any of this?

Did you pay August rent or is this more of a couch surfing thing.

Were you physically ejected?

What stuff remains in the apartment?

What does " do stuff" mean?

Old 08-08-2012, 10:22 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,830 times
I am very confused by the timeline of events and characters involved in this story.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 4,893 times
Our lease was broken because our landlord clearly said no animals and they have a dog. All of our stuff is out now and we were not physically threatened or forcibly removed, I have voicemails of them telling us to go f ourselves and we are kicked out and had to fin someone else to live. We were not couch surfing. Thank you for all the advice you have given you have helped us a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting