Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 04:57 PM

4 posts, read 14,658 times

Advertisements

I've been living in this condo for about 8 months now. I'm 32 years old, and have 2 sons ages 13 and 8. My neighborhood is mostly senior citizens and "snow birds" who are gone 6-8 months out of the year. There are a few younger tenants, but not many. I have been receiving letters in the mail recently from the condo association, stating that I am going against my lease for petty little things. First it was that my children were using a recycling bin as a basketball hoop and were not moving it back ( a whole foot) and someone else had to do it. Ok fine. NO more basketball. Problem solved. Nope! THen I get another letter stating that my kids are riding their skateboards too loudly?? Firstly, I'm not sure how I can quiet a skateboard? Secondly, in the last 8 months we have lived here, they have skateboarded maybe twice and the last being months before I received the letter. THen another letter stating two things: I am playing my music too loudly and that I am throwing garbage in the recycling bin and it does not belong there. Now, funny thing is I do NOT own a radio. THe only thing that makes noise in my home are the tv and computer. Also, there is no one on either side of me, and there is no one below me right now. As far as the recyling bin, I only throw water bottles in there, I do know how to recycle. I have responded to these letters and said just what I am telling you know, but a little more in detail, but you get the point. I also have sent a copy of the letters and my responses to the owner of my unit with no response from either the owner, or the condo association.

Today, my children were waiting outside the gate for me (gated community) due to my son leaving his key at school and had to wait for me to come home. Both my children were sitting on the sidewalk and my oldest was teasing my youngest about getting into trouble at school. So he was teasing him loudly yelling at him to make a joke about it. Well, a woman came out of the gate and started asking my son why he was yelling. My son couldn't hear her, so he kept of saying "what?". Well the lady got preterbed by that and asked him if his mom was me? She was going to call me because they are yelling in front of the neighborhood. I don't know what to do at this point. I feel like we're being punished because we're younger than everyone. I've also heard that they are not fond of renters because they feel we don't pay as much in. Which is a load of crap. I pay my rent, my landlord pays my fees or I wouldn't be able to use the amenities. THose are to the point that they are not enjoyable either. Everytime we go to the pool, someone has something to say about my children playing too "roughly". I don't see the problem if I'm there watching them and I don't think it's too rough?? I bring the kids to the park and basketball courts for hours everyday just so they can run their energy out and be able to play without someone complaining. I don't know where else to go from here? I love living here as far as the space, and the atmosphere of the place. I go to work, come home, and mind my business and take care of my kids. I don't really know what to do from here. Anyone have any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 05:23 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
The only thing I can suggest is that when your lease is up you look for somewhere else to live which would be better suited to your needs and those of the fellow residents. Sometimes a place just isn't the right fit and this sounds like one of them. There's no right or wrong where anyone's actions are concerned and this isn't a typical landlord tenant issue where you have tangible problems which have to be addressed.

I'm guessing that you have a year's lease so, as disruptive and a real pain moving is, maybe in the next few months you can find something close by and possibly in a "younger" neighborhood where there are couples more your age and other children around. Good luck!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:39 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Default hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahRah32 View Post
I've been living in this condo for about 8 months now. I'm 32 years old, and have 2 sons ages 13 and 8. My neighborhood is mostly senior citizens and "snow birds" who are gone 6-8 months out of the year. There are a few younger tenants, but not many. I have been receiving letters in the mail recently from the condo association, stating that I am going against my lease for petty little things. First it was that my children were using a recycling bin as a basketball hoop and were not moving it back ( a whole foot) and someone else had to do it. Ok fine. NO more basketball. Problem solved. Nope! THen I get another letter stating that my kids are riding their skateboards too loudly?? Firstly, I'm not sure how I can quiet a skateboard? Secondly, in the last 8 months we have lived here, they have skateboarded maybe twice and the last being months before I received the letter. THen another letter stating two things: I am playing my music too loudly and that I am throwing garbage in the recycling bin and it does not belong there. Now, funny thing is I do NOT own a radio. THe only thing that makes noise in my home are the tv and computer. Also, there is no one on either side of me, and there is no one below me right now. As far as the recyling bin, I only throw water bottles in there, I do know how to recycle. I have responded to these letters and said just what I am telling you know, but a little more in detail, but you get the point. I also have sent a copy of the letters and my responses to the owner of my unit with no response from either the owner, or the condo association.

Today, my children were waiting outside the gate for me (gated community) due to my son leaving his key at school and had to wait for me to come home. Both my children were sitting on the sidewalk and my oldest was teasing my youngest about getting into trouble at school. So he was teasing him loudly yelling at him to make a joke about it. Well, a woman came out of the gate and started asking my son why he was yelling. My son couldn't hear her, so he kept of saying "what?". Well the lady got preterbed by that and asked him if his mom was me? She was going to call me because they are yelling in front of the neighborhood. I don't know what to do at this point. I feel like we're being punished because we're younger than everyone. I've also heard that they are not fond of renters because they feel we don't pay as much in. Which is a load of crap. I pay my rent, my landlord pays my fees or I wouldn't be able to use the amenities. THose are to the point that they are not enjoyable either. Everytime we go to the pool, someone has something to say about my children playing too "roughly". I don't see the problem if I'm there watching them and I don't think it's too rough?? I bring the kids to the park and basketball courts for hours everyday just so they can run their energy out and be able to play without someone complaining. I don't know where else to go from here? I love living here as far as the space, and the atmosphere of the place. I go to work, come home, and mind my business and take care of my kids. I don't really know what to do from here. Anyone have any suggestions???
sounds like your kids need to start behaving.
Koale

Old 10-03-2012, 09:07 PM

35 posts, read 336,156 times
Yeah, if there aren't any other kids around, I could see the other residents having ZERO tolerance for the sudden disruptions...

Have them bake some cookies and go take them to the neighbors, then they'll all get along and help watch after them for you. That's how it always works in TV and movies, at least, right? (;

Old 10-03-2012, 09:55 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Have you ever been present when any of these occured or have they all been when your not there?

Old 10-03-2012, 10:19 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
I was prepared to have total sympathy for you, but honestly --- it sounds like your kids are too noisy and are rough-housing too much around the pool and for all you know they are throwing food or dirty drinking cups etc in the recycling bin. Have you asked them?

As for the pool, it's not a public pool where the kids can just let loose, yell and shriek and cause a lot of splashing. It's a private pool, there for the enjoyment of all the residents, so the kids need to be better-behaved and quieter than they would at a public pool.

Is there lots of noise coming from your kids yelling and playing in the house? If you weren't playing music, then something is causing noise that someone can hear even from apartments not adjacent to you. Most condo complexes have far less tolerance of noisy residents (even other owners) than rental complexes. In fact I have found most condo complexes far more restrictive with all kinds of rules and regulations, and people get upset over the least little thing.

I don't have kids but when 2 of my friend's kids were once rough-housing in the living room of my condo, the neighbour below me came and knocked on my door and asked them to keep it down. Which was his right. It's shared living. There are going to be restrictions on activities and how loudly you do them.

And no I don't think kids should be skate-boarding on private property. Thats for the park or streets. The complex is not a big playground, think of it more as someone's (shared) backyard.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:36 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
It sounds like to me that they are trying to get rid of you and are using your children and piddly complaints to get that done.

Your issue is with the HOA...do you have a copy of the HOA guidelines? Are you even sure you're violating any of their rules or are some of these old biddies being, well, old biddies? If you don't have a copy, ask for one...ask your landlord for a copy, the HOA won't talk to you since you're not the owner.

That lady had no right to tell your son to be quiet. He was outside for goodness sake, at the front gate, not standing outside someone's window or door. We have kids in our complex and the only time the manager will do anything about their outside noise is if they running up and down the stairs/hallways screaming and yelling. If they are running around in the grass or in the parking lot...they are allowed to play.

As for the pool, your children have just as much right to be there as everyone else. What exactly are they calling 'rough-housing'? If your children are jumping in, splashing others, usinig water guns then yes, they need to stop that. If they are in the water and playing "marco/polo" or dunking each other, these old biddies need to get a life.

And unless it clearly states no skating on the property, your children can skateboard in the parking lot. They need to stay out of driveways or assigned parking..but the common drive is fine. The same goes for riding their bikes. I"m sure the other residents ride their bikes and golf carts all over the place.

You need to call your landlord and find out what the heck is going on....are they trying to get rid of you? Get rid of all renters? ( very common thing happening here in condo assocs) Are they just being extra picky? Or are your kids really causing this much trouble?? Talk to your landlord and keep us updated please!

Old 10-04-2012, 05:47 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
It sounds like to me that they are trying to get rid of you and are using your children and piddly complaints to get that done.
And as I said before, it sounds to me as though this just isn't a good fit all around.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:14 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

And unless it clearly states no skating on the property, your children can skateboard in the parking lot. They need to stay out of driveways or assigned parking..but the common drive is fine. The same goes for riding their bikes. I"m sure the other residents ride their bikes and golf carts all over the place.

You need to call your landlord and find out what the heck is going on....are they trying to get rid of you? Get rid of all renters? ( very common thing happening here in condo assocs) Are they just being extra picky? Or are your kids really causing this much trouble?? Talk to your landlord and keep us updated please!
A skateboard is not the same as a bike, and there isn't a parking lot in the world that wants kids on skateboards in the parking lot. Think of the liability.

More importantly though for this resident, does he/she really want one of his/her kids to get hit by a car rounding a corner, or backing out of a space?

Old 10-05-2012, 03:11 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
A skateboard is not the same as a bike, and there isn't a parking lot in the world that wants kids on skateboards in the parking lot. Think of the liability.

More importantly though for this resident, does he/she really want one of his/her kids to get hit by a car rounding a corner, or backing out of a space?

I suggest you get out of your bubble and come into the real world or at least come into mine....our complex has no issue with kids skateboarding (rollerblading) in the parking lot..(not in a private driveway or parking spot that someone pays for or 'owns').

If liability was the issue, we wouldn't be able to ride our bikes or use our golf carts or walk or do anything in the parking lot, but park. Try again. Think of the risk that grocery stores take by allowing us to walk from the car to the store in the :::::::gasp!!!::::: parking lot!!!!

A skateboard is no different than a bike...they are ridden by the driver and they both have wheels...so your logic on that doesn't make any sense.

They are her kids...if she allows them to play in the parking lot it's none of your business or her neighbor's business unless the kids are breaking a rule or bothering others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting