Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 02:58 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times

Advertisements

I live in a complex where some tenants let their dogs run loose, off leash. My city does have leash laws. The loose dogs run up to people, jump on them, one even tried to run into my apartment once when I was going inside. My own dog, who is always on leash, was once attacked by 2 loose dogs. No serious injuries, thankfully.

The manager refuses to do anything about it. She says her job is managing apartments, not tenants.

I can file a report with Animal Control, and they will fine the dog owner. Minimum $177. The fine increases depending on whether or not the dog owner can provide proof of rabies vaccination, tag, etc. It can get very costly. I hate to file the complaint because it leaves me vulnerable to vandalism, etc. I also personally like some of these irresponsible dog owners and really don't want to make enemies.

And before you ask, yes, I have told people with loose dogs that there is a leash law and they are subject to fine if I report them.

Any suggestions? The manager refuses to lift a finger, and in fact, gets angry with me when I mention it to her. Neither the manager nor the tenants seem to care. I guess they think laws apply to everyone but them.

Last edited by Dale Cooper; 10-10-2012 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 03:13 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Unless the complex leases specify that dogs must be kept leashed while on property, the manager is correct in saying that this isn't her responsibility. My suggestion is (a) write to the property management company documenting the problems and urging them to implement a leash law on the property; and (b) talk to the dog owners and ask them to leash their dogs and not allow them to run free for the same reasons.

If you get nowhere, then you'll have no recourse other than to report any attacks of any nature to either your dogs or yourself and let the chips fall where they may. Good luck and I hope it works out for everyone before either somebody (either tenant or visitor) or someone's pet is hurt.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:43 PM

Thank you. I know it's not in the lease (the manager once told me it is so I checked, and it isn't).

I've talked to the dog owners but it does no good.

Animal Control will send a letter of warning, but a lot of the tenants have PO boxes and I have no clue what those addresses are. They don't pick up their mail at the apartment mail boxes. My next step is to file an in-person complaint but I have to give my contact information in case the dog owner decides to fight the fine and go to court. It's at the point of the in-person complaint that Animal Control goes to the dog owner's apartment and issues a fine.

There are a handful of elderly people who live here, one of whom is the manager's husband, who has Altzheimers. He frequently wanders around on the property. Some of these loose dogs are large (there in no size limit). Someone or someone's dog is going to get hurt.

It just seems strange to me. When someone is breaking the law and endangering other tenants, I would think the manager would want to stop it. She just flat doesn't care and is too lazy to take action. I'm on the waiting list for another apartment, but it will be a year or more, and the next one may be just as bad or worse, lol.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Someone or someone's dog is going to get hurt.

It just seems strange to me. When someone is breaking the law and endangering other tenants, I would think the manager would want to stop it. She just flat doesn't care and is too lazy to take action. I'm on the waiting list for another apartment, but it will be a year or more, and the next one may be just as bad or worse, lol.
As I suggested, bypass the manager and write (return receipt certified mail is best) to the PMC. If you have cause to notify Animal Control of an incident where a dog has harmed either a person or another animal, they don't need PO Boxes. Obviously YOU know which dogs are off the leash and you know their owners and where they live.

Think less of what you can't do and more of what you can do. I gave you suggestions and that's all I can do. If you prefer to do nothing then so be it but, when you move and if you move into another complex, check their rules where animals are concerned. Many complexes which accept pets have strict rules which include leashing of dogs. Good luck.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:03 PM

I have done something. I've reported people. I don't know where you got the idea I haven't. I know the law and I know the steps. Thoroughly.

My question was: "ARE APARTMENT MANAGERS RESPONSIBLE............" (for seeing to it the law is enforced).

I would much prefer she handle it since I'm not the one in charge. I guess if some other law were being broken, such as cooking meth, abusing kids, murdering spouses, she would just look the other way.

Edit to add: The lease does say tenants are not to harass other tenants. Seems to me a loose dog running up on your porch and jumping on you while you're sitting there trying to read or trying to run into your house when you're trying to get away from the dog should qualify as harassment. Guess not.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:34 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Any suggestions? The manager refuses to lift a finger, and in fact, gets angry with me when I mention it to her. Neither the manager nor the tenants seem to care. I guess they think laws apply to everyone but them.

Here is what you ned to do. Bypass the manager and write (return receipt certified mail is best) to the PMC. If you have cause to notify Animal Control of an incident where a dog has harmed either a person or another animal, they don't need PO Boxes. Obviously YOU know which dogs are off the leash and you know their owners and where they live.

Think less of what you can't do and more of what you can do. If you prefer to do nothing then so be it.

I'm sorry to just copy what STT said, but she has given you the best advice and you need to take a certain amount of responsibility for what bugs you. The manager does have a certain amount of responsibility and liability, but since they are not doing anything, waving a magic wand to get it resolved seems to be what you want. So, the options are to take the next steps and getting it resolved or stay complaing and whinning without doing what is required and have no resolution.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:41 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I'm wondering how the leash law is worded. Are dogs allowed to be off leashes on private property, and does the apartment complex constitute private property? If so, and if no one but you is bothered by the dogs, you may be out of luck. If the leash law does extend to the apartment complex, still, if no one but you is bothered by the dogs, you're going to have to be the one to do the complaining to the appropriate authorities, NOT to the apartment manager.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:05 PM

Yes, the leash law does apply. I have had Animal Control send a handful of letters, and once, it got so bad with a specific dog who charged at me in the dark and knocked me into the metal fence that I took the next step (after having given several verbal warnings to the tenant) and they came out and fined her $177. Fortunately, that tenant moved a few months later.

That final step is one I don't enjoy because I know people work hard for their money. I also fear retaliation. I'm elderly, very small, and not in the best health. All I want is to be able to walk within my complex without being knocked down or sliced with an errant doggie toenail (I'm on blood thinner and bleed like a stuck pig). I guess I have the mistaken notion that since I pay my rent on time every month and am quiet (no parties), I should be protected from savages roaming and charging at people. Since it's an obvious issue, I expect the manager to confer with the property owners (out of state).

I sit on my porch and read a lot, and other tenants have mentioned the loose dog situation to me, so I'm not the only one who notices. They are younger, healthier, and not inclined to complain to the manager, I guess. But several have mentioned it to me, probably because when I'm on my porch, I always have my dog with me, on leash and never off the porch unless we're out for a walk. The subject of dogs automatically comes up if someone stops to chat.

In one breath, the manager told me it's not up to me to police other tenants. Then she turned right around and told me to handle it myself.

Thanks for your responses. You've answered my question. The manager is not responsible.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I have done something. I've reported people. I don't know where you got the idea I haven't. I know the law and I know the steps. Thoroughly.
My apologies for apparently suffering from reading comprehension disabilities but maybe you should re-read your thread-starter post to get a better perspective.

Quote:
Thanks for your responses. You've answered my question. The manager is not responsible.
Well it seems as though this is a done deal. You really never wanted suggestions, just wanted to vent. Again, good luck and, based on your rude response, I'm rather sorry I took the time to respond to your post. Amen.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:43 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Not by my reading.......

You not going to get any answer your happy with so long as you have that chip on your shoulder and as a result, you can't rationally and unemotionally understand what is being said. So, good luck handleing it your way .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting