Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 09:24 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,765,279 times

Advertisements

I just signed a new lease, and the owner, as far as I can tell, is very nice, and has owned the place for quite a while, and while it isn't up to date, its in good condition.

However, when we signed the lease, they only had the first two pages of what was a standard, generic type lease. We ended up signing and dating on the bottom of the page. The rent amount, dates, and whatnot are there, just not the 3rd and higher pages (most leases I've signed have been like 10 pages...)

Are there any potential problems that could arise from this? I've dealt with crummy land lords before, and while they most certainly don't come off as one, I try not to let their initial "niceness" cloud my judgement.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 09:35 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,075,469 times
Ten pages?? Now THAT is nuts, two or three is plenty.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
My leases are 11 pages. I've learned to put it all in writing so there is no confusion as to what, who, and how. It saves alot of problems.
Tell the LL you want the complete lease. As nice as the LL seems and the building is in good shape does not mean there will be questions or concerns down the road.
Get the complete lease.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:57 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
I just signed a new lease, and the owner, as far as I can tell, is very nice, and has owned the place for quite a while, and while it isn't up to date, its in good condition.

However, when we signed the lease, they only had the first two pages of what was a standard, generic type lease. We ended up signing and dating on the bottom of the page. The rent amount, dates, and whatnot are there, just not the 3rd and higher pages (most leases I've signed have been like 10 pages...)

Are there any potential problems that could arise from this? I've dealt with crummy land lords before, and while they most certainly don't come off as one, I try not to let their initial "niceness" cloud my judgement.

Any thoughts?
Do you have reason to believe there are pages missing, other than the fact that you have seen longer leases? Did you ask the landlord about missing pages? The landlord is the only one who can tell you if there is something missing or if that's the entirely of his lease. And if there are issues you feel need to be addressed, you should ask the landlord to address them and put them in writing.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:52 AM

7 posts, read 13,612 times
I recently had a landlord take me to Civil Court for a vast list of issues (I was the defendant, though) where he lied. Part of his deception was taking a draft lease apart that I signed and merging it with a final lease I signed. I did not know this because he never mailed me (a requirement of the law) the final copy. In court was the first time I saw the countersigned lease. He could not prove he mailed the lease to me, I still lost. I knew it was a 'switcheroo' document only because I crossed a paragraph on the last page he included, but I couldn't prove it in court because I did not initial every page and the pages were not numbered (I should have numbered them myself).

I too thought he was a good person when I moved in.....I was completely wrong.

IF I WERE YOU....I would absolutely push for a FINAL copy of the entire lease with page numbers, countersigned by the landlord.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:01 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,765,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Do you have reason to believe there are pages missing, other than the fact that you have seen longer leases?
The second page's last sentence is cut off.
Quote:
Did you ask the landlord about missing pages?
Yes. They sound a bit disorganized, and just didn't have it with them. I guess I belive the whole clutter act.
Quote:
And if there are issues you feel need to be addressed, you should ask the landlord to address them and put them in writing.
I may do this just to cover my butt. I may print one off sooner or later

Old 10-19-2012, 11:12 AM

7 posts, read 13,612 times
In my state, just remember this.....the Landlord is required by law to mail (not certify, simply regular mail) the lease back to you countersigned as a final agreement (with all pages).

Of course, they may get pissed they have to physically do this.....but like my recent miserable small claims civil court experience....I would have known very early on who I was dealing with.....and not moved in to the property.

Keep the envelope showing proof of mailing too in case you ever have to go to court and he tries to add pages later!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:50 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
10 pages isn't out of line for a lease at all. Ours is 12.

Oh, and I agree, ask for a copy of the full lease, so you know what you are agreeing to.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
My rental agreements are now 27 pages... most of which is required disclosures for city ordinances and rent control... not my idea.

I much preferred the simpler days when my rental agreement was a single page with and an attached condition and inventory page.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:38 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Definitely ask for a copy of everything *now*.

My lease is about 24 pages with all of the required disclosures & forms. I sign with the tenant, then scan the entire document, burn it to a disk with a copy of the "before" move-in pictures ( at least 50 pics, including the model & serial tags on the appliances) and a five-minute walk-through video taken the same day the lease is signed.

Then I print a copy of the signed lease, and put it in a folder along with a copy of the disc & hand it all to the tenant within 24 hours of move-in. A half-hours labor at the beginning of a lease is better than arguing about everything at the end of the lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting