Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 02:25 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

Since I've got some tenants here and can ask them, please tell me about light bulbs.

Every time I rent a house out, I put all new light bulbs into the house. Every time a tenant moves out, every light bulb in the house is burnt out. The joke around here is that tenants only stay until the last bulb burns out and when they can't see any more, they move out.

It's not just me. I've talked to dozens of landlords who get their house back without a single light bulb that works.

So, I am curious. What is happening with the light bulbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 02:47 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,053 times
How many tenants does it take to change a..... LOL!! Well, if that's the biggest issue.....

Old 10-27-2012, 02:57 PM

62 posts, read 109,791 times
Scumbags save the burnt out bulbs, and when they move out they take all of the working ones; replacing them with the burnt out ones. That's the only thing I can figure.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:24 PM

804 posts, read 2,891,278 times
Our last place had the regular cheap bulbs in it and we replaced them with the low voltage ones that last 'forever'. When we moved out we did remove all the light bulbs we purchased and replaced them with the bulbs that were there when we moved in. I do not remember if any were dead or not.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:36 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
Our last place had the regular cheap bulbs in it and we replaced them with the low voltage ones that last 'forever'. When we moved out we did remove all the light bulbs we purchased and replaced them with the bulbs that were there when we moved in. I do not remember if any were dead or not.
I have done that with the super expensive bulbs we bought...but I don't save the old ones...I went out and bought new bulbs, put them in the lights after I took mine...we have the ones that are about $20 each as the cheaper ones really hurt my eyes for some reason, but the lights we have them in are the ones it is a PAIN to change the bulbs. So, take the super expensive ones but put in new ones.

Now, taking all the good ones and putting in burnt out ones? I have nothing for you there.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:36 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
My tenants get a house with working lightbulbs and are required to return the house with working lightbulbs or we charge for replacements from the security deposit

Old 10-27-2012, 09:04 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Typical to find a mish-mosh of bulbs... different types and wattages and some sockets with none.

My move in inventory mentions all light fixtures have working bulbs.

It's not something I'm going to make a big deal over.

I do remember the few tenants where the home is left clean with all proper bulbs...

Old 10-28-2012, 01:58 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Typical to find a mish-mosh of bulbs... different types and wattages and some sockets with none.

My move in inventory mentions all light fixtures have working bulbs.

It's not something I'm going to make a big deal over.

I do remember the few tenants where the home is left clean with all proper bulbs...
That's how I left my last rental, though some burned-out bulbs were only replaced just prior to me moving out. I didn't want to pay to repeatedly replace expensive halogen lights that I didn't like anyway.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:02 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
I'm not real sure about light bulbs when we move, I know we replace them as they burn out but ours have yet to burn out all at the same time so we have never been in the dark from that. We also get the same type of replacement bulb that was in the fixture when it burned out, that way when we move the light bulbs are the same as when we arrived.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:20 PM

747 posts, read 1,681,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Since I've got some tenants here and can ask them, please tell me about light bulbs.

Every time I rent a house out, I put all new light bulbs into the house. Every time a tenant moves out, every light bulb in the house is burnt out. The joke around here is that tenants only stay until the last bulb burns out and when they can't see any more, they move out.

It's not just me. I've talked to dozens of landlords who get their house back without a single light bulb that works.

So, I am curious. What is happening with the light bulbs?

Well that is probably going to happen with my apartment. I have an apartment with 9 foot ceilings and no way to get up to the ceiling to change the bulbs out (so are even higher because they are recessed). The only thing I have is a two step, step ladder and that don't come anywhere close. Two bulbs have burned out so I went to the office to ask if someone could come up and unscrew them for us and put new ones in. I was put on a list and told they would be up soon, two weeks went by and no one came and unscrewed the bulbs. I ended up going back to the office and was put on another list and told they would be up Monday to take them out, well again they never came. I ended up just giving up, I use our lamps a lot and the lights that my husband and I can reach in the bathroom over the mirror we use and replace those. However the rest of the bulbs they will apparently be getting back completely burnt out. So if your tenantss don't have a ladder or some device to replace to bulbs and no one comes to replace them when asked, that could be one reason you get back houses with burned out bulbs, I know that's why the landlord here will be getting ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting