Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 10:46 AM

96 posts, read 180,299 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We only see our landlord a couple of times a month around the building but are on a first name basis with him. We have told him verbally of repairs needed in our unit but he drags his feet and has not gotten around to them.

Anyways, we are including a note in with our rent check reminding him of the repairs -- ok to be handwritten or should it be formal and typed?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 10:57 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Just in case things go sour and you need proof, it's best to address repairs formally in a written letter sent by return receipt certified mail. Check your state landlord tenant laws which you'll find linked in the first "sticky" on this forum for information on how long a LL has to make repairs. Good luck.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:59 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
All requests for repairs should be in writing. Keep a copy for yourself. There is no reason to not be polite about it. though.

Non-emergency repairs can be slow and people can forget what they were told if you do several hours of other things before they go home.

Put it in writing and put it into the mail.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:56 AM

155 posts, read 564,470 times
Send him and email, along with the time of the original noted, you will have your record, and will have CYA.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satman40 View Post
Send him and email, along with the time of the original noted, you will have your record, and will have CYA.
Not the best response. Although email notification is sometimes legally accepted by courts (particularly when such email is in turn responded to), a return receipt certified letter via USPS is proof that the letter was sent. Even if it isn't accepted by the recipient and returned to the sender, the documented train of proof via USPS tracking is sufficient legal evidence to be duly entered without question.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:51 PM

I can understand that, but if a toilet is running a letter can take a long time...and the floor will get wet and rot...

Had a tenant call me once and said a pipe broke, went over and shut the water off outside and repaired it, sure glad she did not mail me a letter.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satman40 View Post
I can understand that, but if a toilet is running a letter can take a long time...and the floor will get wet and rot...

Had a tenant call me once and said a pipe broke, went over and shut the water off outside and repaired it, sure glad she did not mail me a letter.
Obviously one would telephone in event of an emergency such as that. In fact one would logically telephone first regardless of the repair. However, it's always prudent to follow up a non-emergent verbal request with a written request particularly if the LL shows a predisposition of being tardy making repairs.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:13 PM

My fault in the original post, forgot to include the telephone call, along with the email.

We also have it in our lease that the tenant is to notify the LL of any problem, protects the LL if they neglect to call and the toilet leak damages, etc the floor....and yes it has happened to me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting