Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 06:06 AM

451 posts, read 1,157,522 times

Advertisements

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I've searched online and haven't been able to find concrete answers to my question and was hoping to find some help here on CD.

When extending our lease after it's initial term I agreed to allow the sellers to show the house while we are still living in it for the final 3 months of our lease. It ends March 30, 2012 and they are putting the house on the market in January. We did not spell anything else out in the written agreement. I am not getting any rent abatement. We know our landlord through friends so we've had a pretty good relationship.

Our initial lease does not specify how much notice is needed for landlord entry.

We have a 1 and 3 year old. Is it fair of us to request no showings from 1-4pm and after 6:30p? What do you think is reasonable notice for us to request for showings? What is our legal right in NC? I've read 24 hours notice, is this accurate?

We want to be fair but we also want them to respect the fact that we are living here as well.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 06:23 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
Our initial lease does not specify how much notice is needed for landlord entry.
What is our legal right in NC? I've read 24 hours notice, is this accurate?
Bottom line... It's accurate just about everywhere (not just NC).

Quote:
We know our landlord through friends so we've had a pretty good relationship.
Is it fair of us to request no showings from 1-4pm and after 6:30p?
What do you think is reasonable notice for us to request for showings?
We want to be fair but...
You can ask politely to limit the access but the more you make it available right off...
the more likely they will get an offer quickly and you'll be left alone the rest of the time.

The inverse of this... if they do NOT get an offer right off (98% of the time because of high price)
then they aren't likely to get one until after you're out and they've had the time to clean and
fix and of course to lower their number too. During those last two months of your occupancy the
house is likely to be a bloody mess anyway with all the packing and other clutter.

It all comes down to the "pretty good relationship" you think you have with them...
how well (realistic) they price the house and just how good their agent is explaining this to them.

hth

Last edited by MrRational; 11-11-2012 at 07:31 AM..

Old 11-11-2012, 07:21 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
I believe your times are unreasonable although I understand tht you have small kids.

You could limit the access to the kids bedrooms during their sleeping time and show the remainder of the house.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:32 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,804 times
Are you planning on leaving when the lease expires? You might want to go ahead and move out now and the landlords may be willing to let you out of the lease since they are trying to sell.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:51 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
If I were looking for a family home, I would want to see all the rooms. I understand kids need naps but I am not making an offer on a home that I haven't viewed completely. Can you take the kids to a neighbor's house or a relative on days when you have viewings?

Old 11-11-2012, 04:17 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,522 times
We will be leaving at the end of the lease but will be purchasing a home this spring so we'd like to wait until leaving. Also, the landlord does not want to let us out early- ie wants the rent.

I agree...buyers will want to see the bedrooms.

If it were only 30 days or if we were getting a significant rental discount we would feel the need to be more flexible. But we are receiving no decrease in rent...what is our motivation to allow unfiltered access and disruption in our lives for 3 months.

It looks like the law states we are to be given 24 hours notice before landlord entry so that's what we'll request.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:24 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I would give you desired times to the LL and see what happens. It is certainly in his best interest to keep you happy. You are under no obligation to leave the house.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:15 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times
That would be awkward to stay in the house... BUT, it would also be within your rights to do. Do realtors contact the renters in cases like this or do they contact the home owner only?

Old 11-11-2012, 11:51 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,399,081 times
Have you asked for a reduction in rent to compensate you for your inconvenience? They're not going to offer it to you unless you ask.

I understand about the no showings after 6:30 however, I can assure you that your children will survive if they miss a nap or two.

Now, remember all this when you are house hunting! I have passed on showing houses when the agent said "The tenant won't allow showings after 12:00 p.m. (not kidding there) No compromise, and this was with 4 day notice. nada. just "nope can't show it". Okay, I'll go elsewhere!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:26 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
request the 24 hr notice. realize that the realtors will request this in MLS. You might get some realtors that read it and try to make an earlier appt anyway. You will get some calls about this but you are legally allowed to say NO if proper notice isn't given (24 hrs).

You wont get any compensation(rent reduction). This is not how it works. You are stuck. the only recourse you have is the 24 hr notic. Make sure you understand NC rules on notice. A few states have times (no showings before 8am, or after a certain time). But you must know your state's rules on the matter.

Realize that most lookers come during the day. Not that many during evening. Popular times to show are often weekends after 10am and before 5pm. But this varies by area.

You could try to ask the landlord if they can limit showings to before 6pm. Maybe they will comply. Aks for 7pm and it is more likely they comply. Most showings wont be this late anyway...maybe you get zero this late. People look at homes mid day in most cases.

I was in your place (renting a home just before buying a home). It was awful. I feel for you.
Make sure you hide valuables. When my rental was shown I went to a neighbors home to wait. I saw the realtor sit in her car in the driveway while her buyers were in my home alone for over 10 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting