Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 01:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,103 times

Advertisements

My friends and I are considering leasing out a pretty nice 3/3 townhouse that would work great for all of us location wise for work/school. However, the rent is just a little bit out of our price range but we would like to now maybe add another friend to our lease. We plan on making the space for the 4th person in the garage by putting up a wall inside the garage, closing it off from the garage door itself (not closing it from the outside, we would leave the garage door in tact and functional) and we plan on constructing the wall with plans of obviously taking it down and returning the garage to its original conditions upon the completion of our lease. The landlord has accepted our offer and is preparing the contract which we expect to receive any day now. I can of course for see the issue a landlord may have with building a wall inside the garage, but is it possible there could be something in the contract allowing modification to the garage in the lease? Also, by including another person at the lease contract at this point, can they legally increase the cost of the property, without them having knowledge of the garage conversion/approval of the garage remodel? What are our options of having that 4th person placed into that room as a "sub-lease" by the means of converting a garage into a room should it be feasible according to the contract/landlord approval/choosing to build the wall without explicit owner permission? Any information as to our rights as tenant would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 06:34 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakgoalie View Post
My friends and I are considering leasing out a pretty nice 3/3 townhouse...
However, the rent is just a little bit out of our price range...
It's probably more than just "a little bit out"

Earn more money or find a less expensive place.
The three of you need to be able to pay at least HALF of the total.
---

As to the notions of adding a fourth:
Quote:
What are our options of having that 4th person placed into that room as a "sub-lease"
If the landlord has any sense... there are NO options.
There are likely zoning issues as well wrt number of unrelated tenants.

Quote:
We plan on making the space for the 4th person in the garage...
I can of course for see the issue a landlord may have with building a wall inside the garage, but...
No buts.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:57 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,340,440 times
Being very blunt: stupid idea. For a 1001 reasons.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:15 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Yeah.

No subleasing.

No converting my garages into a flop house. All of you would be evicted immediately as soon as I caught you.

Everyone who lives there must be at the original lease signing. Although for your group, you would have all been rejected, I suspect, for insufficient income.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:46 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Being very blunt: stupid idea. For a 1001 reasons.

Why isn't it a Frugal Living idea?

Old 05-28-2017, 04:59 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,618,128 times
You say you're converting the garage and having a 4th person, you plan on constructing the wall a certain way and so on. And then "the landlord has accepted our offer".

But you seem to not mean that. Perhaps he accepted the fact that you seem to have accepted hisparameters?....he rents his place to his three tenants?

Your rights as tenant do not include building in someone else's property. Nor...is it lying?....on the the contract with someone else, a lease in this case, that you will have 3 people when you really have 4."

"can they legally increase the cost of the property, without them having knowledge of the garage conversion/approval of the garage remodel?"
So, if the owner doesn't have knowledge that's another ...secret...lie...default...

Soooo frugal living. When evicted after an inspection or a neighbor asking the owner what's going on, evicted with security deposit withheld, possibly some or all rent for the rental contract demanded, cost for the owner to change the garage back to what it was, cost to re-rent, court costs.... that's where the frugal living thing doesn't work.

The idea in frugal living is not really to save money by hiding/sneaking/whatever more realistic word in order to save money , but rather to be honest and upfront about saving money.

How about a townhouse that is less than pretty nice with more space or a lower rent, for example.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:03 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,340,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Why isn't it a Frugal Living idea?
I'm going to assume this is intended sarcastically. If it's not: because when the landlord finds out what they have done (an extra tenant, building a room which probably doesn't meet code for bedrooms, taking down said room, etc., etc., etc.) they will be evicted, be charged additional rent, possibly fined by the city or town, and lose their deposit. None of those things are frugal living.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:02 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakgoalie View Post
My friends and I are considering leasing out a pretty nice 3/3 townhouse that would work great for all of us location wise for work/school. However, the rent is just a little bit out of our price range but we would like to now maybe add another friend to our lease. We plan on making the space for the 4th person in the garage by putting up a wall inside the garage, closing it off from the garage door itself (not closing it from the outside, we would leave the garage door in tact and functional) and we plan on constructing the wall with plans of obviously taking it down and returning the garage to its original conditions upon the completion of our lease. The landlord has accepted our offer and is preparing the contract which we expect to receive any day now. I can of course for see the issue a landlord may have with building a wall inside the garage, but is it possible there could be something in the contract allowing modification to the garage in the lease? Also, by including another person at the lease contract at this point, can they legally increase the cost of the property, without them having knowledge of the garage conversion/approval of the garage remodel? What are our options of having that 4th person placed into that room as a "sub-lease" by the means of converting a garage into a room should it be feasible according to the contract/landlord approval/choosing to build the wall without explicit owner permission? Any information as to our rights as tenant would be much appreciated.
Sorry man. There is no way I would allow you to build a room in the garage. As soon as I found out that was happening I would start the process to terminate the lease or eviction.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:24 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
You say you're converting the garage and having a 4th person, you plan on constructing the wall a certain way and so on. And then "the landlord has accepted our offer".

But you seem to not mean that. Perhaps he accepted the fact that you seem to have accepted hisparameters?....he rents his place to his three tenants?

Your rights as tenant do not include building in someone else's property. Nor...is it lying?....on the the contract with someone else, a lease in this case, that you will have 3 people when you really have 4."

"can they legally increase the cost of the property, without them having knowledge of the garage conversion/approval of the garage remodel?"
So, if the owner doesn't have knowledge that's another ...secret...lie...default...

Soooo frugal living. When evicted after an inspection or a neighbor asking the owner what's going on, evicted with security deposit withheld, possibly some or all rent for the rental contract demanded, cost for the owner to change the garage back to what it was, cost to re-rent, court costs.... that's where the frugal living thing doesn't work.

The idea in frugal living is not really to save money by hiding/sneaking/whatever more realistic word in order to save money , but rather to be honest and upfront about saving money.

How about a townhouse that is less than pretty nice with more space or a lower rent, for example.

"renting is where you pay a premium to enjoy temporary, impaired use of property."

Is this a great country or what?

Old 05-28-2017, 11:19 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,618,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
"renting is where you pay a premium to enjoy temporary, impaired use of property."

Is this a great country or what?
I don't see where you quote is from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting