Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,346 times

Advertisements

As part of the rental agreement the tenant had to put the utilities in their name. They left owing a bill. Now the city is calling me telling me that I am responsible for the bill. Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 08:04 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Have you read the Texas landlord-tenant statutes? I think there's a link in the sticky at the top of this forum. If you don't find the answer there, you might have to get an attorney. But here's some thoughts - I am not an attorney; I have never lived in Texas; this is not legal advice.

The water was supplied to the property. It is likely that there is a local town ordinance that provides for a lien on the property if the water bill is not paid. So, whether the town will come after you for the payment or after the tenant, if there is a possibility they will attach your property, it might be in your best interests to pay it and then sue the tenant in small claims court.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:41 PM

155 posts, read 564,139 times
In many cities the water or sewage is owned by the city and not a private utility, so yes if owned by the city they do have the power to put a lien on your property if not paid, just like property taxes..

If the utility is owned by a private company they would take you or the party who activated the account to court as a business contract.

Hard to fight city hall...

Old 12-27-2012, 01:34 PM

166 posts, read 411,531 times
Similar scenario - you lend your car to someone who then zips past a speed camera, and doesn't pay the fine ... As titled owner of the property, its still your responsibility for such utility despite the account being in another's name. You'll probably find such past due amount is subject to being a lien, but it does give you grounds to small claim your previous tenant; its a civil matter now ... might be able to deduct it from your taxes.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:39 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
How long has it been since they moved out? Could you pay the bill and then, with a copy of the receipt, attach it to the copy of the itemized list of deductions from their security deposit; take from their security deposit what they did not pay for their own water bill?

Old 12-27-2012, 02:02 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Yeah, in my area, all city/county utilities are ultimately the owner's responsibility. We always double check to make sure final bills have been paid before refunding any deposits for exactly that reason. So if the water bill is a municipal bill, then very possibly you do have to pay it.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:07 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
I would avoid the hassle. Average out the water bill for the last few years and include it in the rent. I don't think I've ever paid a water bill in all the apartments i've lived in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting